Question about expression maps

Hi all,

I’ve used expression maps for a long time now. However, I just got mojo horns which has key switches for main and release samples. I learned from the manual that by putting the release switches in group 2, I can enter two articulations for the same note. The problem is that mojo is only reacting to group 1.

I think I have mojo configured correctly because, if I just use articulation group 1 and add two key switches to it, mojo responds as expected. That’s a problem because I would have make too many articulations to cover all the combinations of main plus release samples.

Do any of you know how to successfully and efficiently apply two articulations (main and release) to the same note?

Thanks

What Kontakt version do you have? I know for certain that version 4 couldn’t do that, but version 5 can. I can’t help you with Mojo Horns because I don’t use that library.

Yes, you can enter two articulations for the same note, but the library must be able to handle that and you definitely need Kontakt 5. IIRC Mojo Horns has been available for several years, so it might not be 100% compatible with expression maps. Kontakt 5 has extra switches, but if the library was designed for an earlier version, they’re not triggered. So, even if you use K5, it might still not work.

I’m using kontakt 5. I think it does handle two articulations because if I put two switches in one cubase map setting… It works. It appears that cubase is not sending both switches when the switches are split the way I described above.

The explanation of VST Expression “Groups” is more than a little vague… in fact they only serve to prioritize which VST Expression Slots are called up (and are really only useful when used in the Score Editor… I’ll elaborate a little later :wink: )
The important thing to realize, is that Cubase can transmit only one Slot at a time.
So, to have a Remote Key trigger two (or more) Articulations simultaneously, you must create a Slot with both the required key triggers contained in the same slot (upper-right section of the VST Expression Editor… use the “+” to create additional triggers)… and (this is the important bit :wink: )… when playing live (or/and recording)… that slot must have its own… single… remote trigger note (center section of the VST Expression Editor… not to be confused with the two trigger notes that are then transmitted by that slot).

For info, the way the Groups work in the Score Editor is as follows…
When a note has both the Articulation symbols present, it calls up that slot (which has one of the articulations in the Grp #1 column, and the other one in the Grp#2 column)… but that amounts to exactly the same thing as triggering that slot by playing the (single) remote key that you defined in the center section of the VST Expression Editor.

(Please don’t shoot the messenger :stuck_out_tongue: )

Thanks Vic… No messenger shooting here!

Unfortunately, if I understand you correctly, you are confirming my experiments. Do you agree that this means I have to create one articulation with two key switches for each combination of main and release articulations I want to use?

Thanks

Yes, I confirm (one Slot per possible combination of desired articulations!)