Gibson buys Cakewalk

Interesting, the Cakewalk/Tascam combo is pretty powerful. Not quite Steinberg/Yamaha, but still a force to be reckoned with I guess.

I wonder is it that Roland/Cakewalk clearly don’t see their combination competing with Yamaha/Steinberg … or that they foresee the end of growth in the software DAW market and want out?

Very interesting development. Something to keep a ‘i’ on.
{‘-’}

Should be topic of conversation at the AES next month

Gibson was a death knell for Opcode Studio Vision. That was a great sequencer. I ran it on my Mac plus and my Roland U220 keyboard.

wikipedia: Opcode Systems - Wikipedia

In 1998, Opcode was bought by Gibson Guitar Corporation. Development on Opcode products ceased in 1999.[1]
Some of Opcode’s ex-employees went on to be part of Apple’s Mac OS X Core Audio and MIDI software development.

didn’t Tascam buy gigastudio, then discontinue it, leaving users stranded?..

Yes, with some hardware devices.

Not like Gibson did with Opcode Studio Vision.

…and the Opcode midi interface. I basically gave away an 8port Se on Ebay last month. Steiny at least came back with support for the Midex. Steinberg ongoing support is better than most when you bother to look at the facts

Yeah. I have an old midi interface from them too. Also, I have a Zeta violin, which company was bought by Gibson, completely ignored by them, and then sold. It has been languishing since. There’s a pattern…

Yea… I just threw my 8Port Se away! There was a guy developing a Win XP driver for a while, but I could never get it to work properly! Plus the fact that the parallel port went the way of the Dodo in favor of other interface development!

Bah! Progress?
Al

Cakewalk was my first also but I cant really remember when that was …i think maybe early 1990’s

+1
{‘-’}

Gibson was a death knell for Opcode Studio Vision. That was a great sequencer. I ran it on my Mac plus and my Roland U220 keyboard.

So that’s what happened to Opcode. I liked that programme as well.

Some of Opcode’s ex-employees went on to be part of Apple’s Mac OS X Core Audio and MIDI software development.

Initially good work was done in this area but those ex-employees must be ‘off the clock’
by now because; and I have been tracking this.

(fingerwag/fistshake here)

‘There have been NO-NONE-NADA-ZIP improvements/enhancements/ etc to
‘Core MIDI’ or ‘Core Audio’ since BEFORE ‘Lion’. 10.7’!

Finger crossed for Mavericks (10.9)
{‘-’}

=

I was just reading the Mavericks page at apple.com, they make dramatic claims about increased performance compared to 10.8. We’ll see. The kind of folksy hyped language raises my hackles and my skepticism level.

We’ll see soon, supposedly. :unamused:

I found that site and the developer was pretty upfront on the pitfall, especially with the 64x driver he made. I thought I might get mileage from a usb to parallel port converter with the 64x driver but he was quick to point out that the converters didnt work for midi. Now his site is gone. My 8port sold for .99 cents cause I wasn’t paying attention to the auction and EBay doesn’t make it easy to set a minimum. I’ll never sell there again, Craigslist much better. I would have saved time to put mine in the trash like you did