Need help with N6/Artist MC set up

So then what’s going on? The video said that my icon was supposed to turn green if the computer saw it on boot up. The PC sees it, according to the Eucon Control window, but the icon didn’t change color. Also NONE OF THE LIGHTS ON THE MC ARE LIT! Only the center screen is showing the Track,Soft Keys, Surround & Setup tabs along with the solo rec, mute and sel buttons. All of the lights light up when it’s powering up. But they go out a few seconds later leaving that skeletal amount of information on the center screen. Any suggestions at all would be greatly appreciated! This has become VERY FRUSTRATING!

Sorry… I can’t help you-- I only have an MC Control, and I’m on a Mac. Back before Avid took over Euphonix the Obedia tech folks were very helpful with crap like this-- helped me fight my way out of some confusing situations. My best advice, if nobody here can help you out, is to bite the bullet and go for Avid tech support.

Chewy

Do you see the Eucontrol icon running?
When you double click on it, what do you get?
In the “Surfaces” tab, do you see your device?
In the Tab “workstations”, is your workstation added?

Is the Eucon Client service running?
Is the Eucon Discovery service running?

Etc …

Fredo

If that means that the icon changed to the green color described in the tutorial, then the answer is no.

It opens the setup window that shows ALL SURFACES on the left and MY SURFACES on the right.

Yes.

Well, it was. I tried removing it and then drag it back over again. But it just hangs up now and stays blank. I should point out here that the workstations page is NOT SHOWING NUENDO. It was only showing the same PC name that was visible on the “Surfaces” tab.

I don’t know what either of those are or where to look for them. ALL I HAVE IS THE CONTROLLER ITSELF AND THE ONLY INSTRUCTION SOURCE I HAVE IS THIS TUTORIAL (which left out several details). The rest of the information I’m getting is from this forum. I DO NOT HAVE A MANUAL. So, I’m essentially working blind here. I was able to get everything to work as instructed in the tutorial right up to the point where the icon turns green and Eucon shows up in the remote devices sub-menu. Point me in a direction and I’ll try it.

Please don’t shout at me. I’m allergic to that.
Try this: http://www.avid.com/US/products/Artist-Mix#Downloads

Fredo

Sorry, I wasn’t shouting (I forget that caps mean shouting on the web), I was emphasizing the most important fact of my situation, apolgies. :blush: Next time I’ll just use bold or underline for those sections. Thanks for the help/link.
I

For a minute there, I thought it was going to turn out to be as simple as swapping out a bad cat 5 cable. But I changed several now and have a good ethernet crossover cable installed. No change. MC client service opens and tells me what version of Eucon I’m running (3.0). If that’s all it does, then it’s running. If it’s supposed to do more than that, then it’s not.

There doesn’t seem to be any “activity flashing lights” for the port on the router where the MC is installed. Both of my PCs are showing activity in their respective ports. That’s why I started swapping out cables. But when I swapped out the same cables to check internet connections, they all worked in every port of the router. So I ruled that out as the problem.

The video said that SB would require my serial number from the MC to get my activation code. But when I went to register the hardware, it only asked what kind of controller - SB or Euphonix. When I selected Euphonix, it just gave me the activation code without entering the serial number of the hardware. Is that missing step causing this issue?

The workstations tab shows my OWNER PC in the “All Workstations” and “My Workstations” windows. But the “Attached” column in the “My Workstations” window is only showing a large “X.” Should I be seeing N6 in this column?

As I said, none of the channel strip lights or Master Section lights are lit on the MC. I have one page that says “Welcome to Artist Series” which also shows the OWNER PC sign at the upper left of the screen. This indicates that both controller and PC “see” each other. But that’s as far as it goes. Tehre wasn’t any information in the set-up document that wasn’t covered in the video tutorial. What am I missing? More clues please.

What are the DHCP settings in the unit? Maybe the previous owner has changed something there?
(Appendix A in the manual)

Are you sure you need a crossed cable?
We have always been able to use any Artist device, anywhere within our Domain network, by simply pluggin in the (non-crossed) cable into one of our routers. So, from any workstation, we can see all workstations and all devices.

But before you go into that, do you see the Eucon adapter in Nuendo Device Setup?
If it’s not there, the click on the “+”. It should be listed there. Then simply add it, so it is “active” in Device setup.
If the Eucon adaptor is not showing up, then it’s because it is not installed (properly)

Fredo

I’ve gotten it working now. Well, actually the guys at ADK got it working via a remote session. They had to re-install the Eucon adapter plugs, update the plugin information to get it to show up and finally they went into the Eucon adapter itself and Added N6 into the address window. They put it under Mackie Control (the ONLY other option was HUI) with 4 MIDI ports open and told me to check with you guys to see if that was correct or not.

We opened my latest project and the screen snapped to it and all the information showed up. So we are at least up and running. If I need to do any tweaking from here for optimal use, you guys can tell me. Right now I’m just relieved that its doing anything at all.

Thanks for your help! :wink:

I don’t think this is correct.
This is what you should see after installing the Eucon Adapter.

(Don’t look at my version number, it’s incorrect)

You should be @ Avid Eucontrol version 3.x and Steinberg Eucon Adapter 6.5.1.5
The Steinberg adapter is included in the host installer.
So upon installing Nuendo 6, there was a checkbox for installing the Eucon Adaptor
Run your initial Nuendo 6 installer, uncheck the application and activate the Eucon Adapter.
This will install version 6.5.0.2
The N 6.0.3 update carries a the newer version 6.5.1.5

(Maybe it will work running the update only, not sure)

Then follow the procedure of adding the adapter to your Devices list and you should be up and running.

Fredo

That is exactly what my page looks like on the SB side (on both N5 & 6) and my settings are exactly as you described below.

What I was describing is on/in the Eucon Adaptor Side. The tech actually went into the control panel, pulled up the Eucon app and went into the Eucon’s preference page, which is actually the first page you see after you double click on the icon (See below).

Never heard of that.
And I am afraid that you are losing functionality when using the Mackie protocol.
Not sure at all, but I don’t think Eucon communicates through midi …
But I can be wrong.

This is what it looks like on my machine.

I even wasn’t aware of the Eucon Control Panel. Never touched it.

Fredo

Well, I guess that’s why he told me to ask you guys about it. I had reservations about that Mackie protocol thing and asked if I should be doing that. He told me to ask you guys. So, I’m guessing that I should undo that then?

See if that works. If not redo.

Fredo

Hello,
I don’t find Eucon Adapter for Nuendo 6 on Steinberg Site )latest is for Nuendo 5.5. Is it possible to find it in the DVD installer. I have already installed N6 but I don’t see the Adapter in Preferences. Any Suggestion? I have iMac with Mavericks OS. Thank u

The current Eucon adapter version I have is 6.5.1.5. In the Nuendo 6.0.5 version history, it mentions that the Eucon adapter was updated, so I assume it came with the update, I don’t remember.
Under the Device Setup menu under remote devices, if you hit the + sign to add a remote device, do you see EuCon in the list?

Eucon Adapter for N6 is installed with the Nuendo installer (as Fredo descibes above). It’s disturbing if you do not know…and the only thing you find on the SB page is the old N5 adapter…I actualy installed it over the N6 adapter because I thought I had too.

Oswald

I said I do not remember because when I originally set up my MC Control, (years ago) the EuCon adapter was a separate download and install, and since then I don’t remember ever having to do that again. I was just commenting on what wondersound had a problem with. I did not read the earlier posts as this is an old thread.
Anyway that problem should be in a new topic.

I am a Cubase user, looking into upgrading to Nuendo. I am now demoing Nuendo 6.0.7.
I have noticed in your screenshot, Fredo, that under the Eucon adapter Settings there is an option that I don’t have: “Mirror Main Mixer”. What is this and how can I get this option? This would be a game changer if it was what I think it is!!

My Avid Artist Mix system works flwlessly under both Cubase 7.5 and Nuendo 6.07 Demo. Under Settings, the Eucon adapter version shown is indeed 6.5.1.5 built Feb22 2013 (I noticed in your screenshot though that yours is 6.5.0).

This was a beta Eucon version which was never released.
This version provided an additional option & functionality (mirroring the main mixer to the surface instead of using EuCon layouts) but this caused stability issues in Eu-Control which need to be fixed at Avids side.
I don’t know what the current status is and I also don’t know if this option is going to be put back in the near or far future.

Sorry …

Fredo