Possible fix for crashing on systems using UAD cards

Interesting thread on the UAD forum, I’ve not been following but I just scanned through it…

First I’ll say that I’ve never had any problems with UAD except way way way back on my old UAD1 card. I’ve recently been using 44.1k, 48k and 96k at various buffer size (normally 2048 though). All is well on my Win7-64 PC with 2xUAD2Quad.

I validated that I was using the 64bit versions by renaming the 32bit versions and also checking that the DLL that was being used was not in the x86 tree. Definitely using the 64bit version although the 32bit versions are still installed.

Juding by the info in the thread I would say that the speculation about whether UAD plugins are actually truly 64bit is answered pretty conclusively by a couple of people who investigated the dlls and found them to be 64bit.

I’d hazard a reason as to why UAD use a small ‘wrapper’ or ‘shortcut’ file in the VSTPlugins folder, and that may be because they’re looking towards people installing UAD onto drives other than the system drive, or along the same lines, they’re trying to keep the size down within the VSTPlugin folder. I’ve got an SSD so I’m limited in my OS space to 60Gig, I install most of my large installs onto D: drive for example.

In the ‘old days’ when I had crashes I used to swap my PCI cards around to resolve the problem, perhaps this would help you? I’ve also in the past re-installed the whole of the UAD stuff before, albeit in the UAD1 days, don’t think I’ve had to do it with the UAD2 and 64bit though. As I said, for me it’s been very reliable. Only problems I have is when I reach 100% UAD CPU and then I get errors and plugins stop processing audio, to be expected really!

Mike.