Calling All Dubstep Cubase 7 Users

I know a guy who can turn a freeware filter/LFO and howling cat sample into dubstep. :smiley:

Kidding aside (or was I?), you didnā€™t specify what kind of ā€œdubstepā€ youā€™re interested in, so Iā€™ll assume American-style, Beatport-oriented a.k.a. ā€œbrostepā€ and not original UK dubstep / future garage / 2-step or post-dubstep.

So, ā€œaggressive soundsā€ is what Iā€™ll assume.

A good low-pass/hi-pass filter plugin (including Cubaseā€™s) + an LFO will likely be your most used tool. That, and good sidechain / group bussing techniques (with EQ and compression, etc. on the busses).

Other favs from artists like Noisia, include:

Fxpansion Maul
Isotope Trash
Fabfilter Saturn and/or Volcano

My favorite Filter / LFO is Cytomicā€™s The Drop, but itā€™s very CPU hungry (but the circuit-modeled sound is amazing).

Itā€™s less about the sound source and more about how you stack and group your sounds (and how you process that buss). That said, my favorite sound source is Fxpansion Synth Squad, but Cubaseā€™s stock instruments work fine. Also, the Sylenth1 continues to amazing me with how warm and crisp it sounds. It really is an excellent synth (clichĆ© as that sounds).

In short, my recommendation is to put your money on good insert fx plugins first, before any synths.

Music radarā€™s free plugin roundups:

http://www.musicradar.com/us/tuition/tech/the-27-best-free-vst-plug-ins-in-the-world-today-277953/1

The cheapest freeware synth can sound amazing if processed and stacked well ā€“ bonus, you avoid the ā€œpreset pitfall.ā€

Cheers.