7.5 Wishlist

Posts like this rattle my cage…Newsflash…Apple makes a ton of money off the computers that run Logic. They could probably give Logic away if it meant that it sold more Macs

If money is a problem and your not a professional on your next upgrade maybe you should look into Reaper and building your own PC instead of expecting Steinberg to lower the prices so you can use professional software in your hobby. Reaper with a modern PC is more than capable

If you want to deal with a company that keeps it’s users in the dark and leaves people wondering if there is even going to be another version have fun with that

If you love Cubase that much go out and earn some extra money so you can afford the $150 a year upgrades to stay current make the best music you can and quit whining

^^

People who can’t see two inches past their own noses.

Just what we need in this community.

Bob Taylor, of Taylor guitars, recently wrote in his magazine about what type of buyers of his guitars he should cater for. While he personally preferred to pay more and get quality, as a business owner, he had to think about whether they should only cater for buyers with similar standards, rather than also making cheaper guitars to appeal to the budget strapped. He still tends towards the former.

SB has to contend with the same issues. However, they have made cheaper, but less capable versions, to cater for those with lesser incomes.

The elephant in the room is Apple, whose iOS app store has contributed to the notion that software should be very cheap. Well, they make 30% of EVERYTHING sold, whereas 99.99% of app writers will NEVER break even. But Apples makes big of how much they paid out! For that 99.99%, they would be better off just getting Lotto tickets – they would probably make more, or at least lose less, and have much more family time.

If one is NOT making money out of making music, don’t EXPECT those making the programs you WANT to use subsidise your unrealistic spending habits. If you cannot afford to buy the things that require a lot of peoples’ time and effort, find something that does cost as much as what you believe YOUR efforts are worth.

We have not yet made money enough off our music to cover our expenses, but we are not stupid enough to think that we can have top end programs at bargain prices, regardless of the distorted thinking that has gripped the software market.

The fact remains that DAW software is always the cheapest component of any quality audio rig you can build.

As has been mentioned, the revenue that Logic makes is inconsequential to Apple’s overall revenue. When you’re a company like that, even a $100MM business unit (which I think is a lot larger than Logic is) isn’t particularly significant. It is a platform play - sell the software relatively cheap to continue to keep users on the Apple platform (since Logic doesn’t run anywhere else).

Now, we’d be remiss in thinking that people are buying Logic just because it is cheap (relatively speaking). It is a fine piece of software that works well for many people. I’m not going to get into the slippery slope debate of if it is better than Cubase, but I believe it has some good qualities and hopefully Steinberg uses it to understand what those are.

The major issue with Logic is of course it is behind the Apple PR wall. There is no direct communication with the team (unlike we have with Steinberg, which is MUCH appreciated). It took them 4 years to come out with X, without so much as a hint that it was coming. Who knows when the next release will be and if they’ll actually listen to any of the user requests. If Cubase costs $200 more, but Steinberg is open with the community about cadences and is actively trying to encourage and satisfy requests, then I personally would gladly pay the difference in cost.

Cubase costs less than:
a) I earn in a day, whereas when I first bought it 10 years ago, it cost half a week’s wages.
b) many people have spent on the CPU in their computer.
c) 1/7th the cost of a Neumann U87 mic.
d) 1/4 the cost of a RME Fireface 800.
e) a pair of Tannoy Reveal 5as.
f) 1/10th the cost of the materials and tools to build our studio.
g) a Dell S2340T touchscreen monitor.
h) a Jeanne Audio JA251 (fantastic mics for instruments BTW, as used on our YouTube videos).
I) … add your own!

hello, for me the future of cubase should have this…
1…new design, for professional design, not a ipad-game stile …slider and cursor in the mix face…
2… new meter in the channel and master, grafic definition
3 …RTA professional for master channel
4…VcA
5…super headroom in the mixer…
6…summing plugin , for example waves NLS
7…new mastering bundle plugin…real mastering plugin…
8…new reverb plugin
9…10000000 preset Vst-i…
10…super fast work at 32 sample (example pt 11)

stellar hardware…
new cmc with 24 rotative encoder for vst-i
ciaoooooooo

Just one essential - ability to disable “intelligent” name shortening.

Once that’s sorted, I’ll start thinking about the rest of the DAW.

What’s wrong with REVerence?

We auditioned several, including EW’s spaces and found REVerence to have a warm sound to it, among other desirable characteristics, whereas Spaces seemed colder, though it does come with some interesting impulses.

REVerence can also do surround (4 channel).

An EMT140 plate emulation would be nice, though we already have that in UAD, but iZotope has also added it to their coming Nectar 2 vocal plugin.

1. Bounce-In-Place
    Steinberg Forums (92 posts)
  2. Hide Unused tracks
  3. Mixer GUI still needs some ergonomic/workflow tweaks (look around, lots of posts - including those from disgruntled Nuendo folk)
  4. Score Editor - these folk need some love soon…!
    Steinberg Forums (56 posts)
  5. Sort out MixConsole versus Project page ‘focus’ issue (for KeyCommands, transport, plugins getting hidden, etc, etc…) when using more than one screen. For example, with me clicking and changing stuff in the Mixer, I’d like to be able to use ‘G’ and ‘H’ to zoom the Project page at the same time…
    Steinberg Forums (48 posts)
  6. Key Editor improvements
    Steinberg Forums
  7. VariAudio enhancements
    www.steinberg.net/forums/viewtopic.php?f=182&t=39022

REVerence the reverb is good, I do not doubt it,
but currently use Breverb 2 BREVERB 2 | Overloud
and I find it much more realistic, I do not have uad, the cost is very high for or dsp plugin,
I was just saying for the future a greater realism of the reverb that’s all.
the thing I want is to stop buying third-party plugins such as the delay of the fab filter.
it is possible that steinberg does not create plugins to be able to use everything that is in a unique software? because it builds uad manley eq plugin type and steinberg not?
I do not think Steinberg is unable …
example was given of the listings that vst sdk 2 will be abandoned in the future.
I imagine that like me, many of you have the original plugin and companies that do not pass the system will abandon their 3 vst plugin.
I wonder why Steinberg does rta type of plugin, Blue Cat’s FreqAnalyst or Inspector XL roger nichols plugin …??
I know I sound obnoxious, but I would like cubase at the top have a unique software

This is what I think will happen. They will leverage a few sections of the program and “improve” them in some complex and confusing way; add a few new (or reworked) plugins, as they did in C5.5 and C6.5, within the standing 7.0.6 code and that will be that.

I can’t see holding my breath for many of the suggestions posted here (as good as most of them are) to be implemented in some way. I just don’t see it happening.

What I’d really like to see is a price break for all early adopters of C7.0.0 thru C7.0.5 in the form of a free update as a way of thanking us for being little more than paid beta testers throughout this current development cycle.

Face it, virtually nothing “new” that was printed on the C.7.0.0 tin really worked properly at all. Early adopters should be rewarded for their patience. That’d be my wishlist item for 7.5.

That’s an emulation, rather than convolution, reverb, so ‘realistic’ is a very subjective term.

We use two reverbs:
a) UAD EMT140 plate emulation for voice, combined with Michael Paul Stavrou’s parallel compression technique for level-dependency, feeding into a virtual space using combined panner to make it 30o either side of centre.
b) REVerence for a ‘natural’ room sound, which so far has used the ‘LA Studio’ preset for intimacy, since our studio deliberately has low reflections (200mm of Acoustisorb) to record just the atmosphere around the instruments/voice, but have nothing else to provide a ‘position’, so we can freely pan sounds where we want in the mix’s ‘room’.

I would love to see a Roland 1080/2080 VST. Perhaps Yamaha could be the rights? Now that would be a weird turn of events!

I’m not sure but Roland isn’t a Yamaha company, is it?

How about another classic…a DX7 (emulator)? They could even call it DX7, since it was a Yamaha instrument!

Aha,

• Wet/dry balance control on every FX dialogue please (to make parallel compression/anything a complete doddle).

Mike.

LOL, it would NEVER happen.

Just to give you an idea of the kind of rivalry there is between the two companies, a Roland executive once told me that when they built their new headquarters in Hamamatsu in 2005 (incidentally, they moved to the same city where Yamaha have their headquarters), Mr. Kakehashi (Roland’s founder, President and CEO) was adamant that all the toilets be from Yamaha. (Yeah, Yamaha sells toilets in Japan, among many other things they don’t sell abroad.) :wink:

I found a link to a modern bidet,

do you think they would sell this on the website or would I need to contact my distributor?

I’m pretty sure they don’t export any of that. You’d have to buy it in Japan and bring it over, or ship it. Either way, ridiculously expensive.

Some Yamaha toilets here:

http://www.yamaha-wa.com/pc/case.html