Lead Vocals - How Deep In The Mix?

Thanks Jeff and all of you who are giving great suggestions. I really appreciate them.

I guess I should explain our setup first, my wife and I are the singers as we lead worship events and meetings. I use a Shure Beta 87a for my mic, and the Steinberg UR824 to record through, (Still using Cubase 6 for recording live, because 7 is not stable enough yet for me).

One of the problems that I have encountered is every location has different acoustics, sometimes our space is limited to setup and it requires a lot of thought for placement of my keyboard where I sit to play and sing. Often I have experienced way too much bleed through in my mic, either due to a wall directly behind me reflecting the sound into it, or I had my monitors up too much. Only until recently did I start using Sennheiser 280HD Pro headphones to hear the mix, instead of through monitors. Hopefully I will switch over to a good pair of in ear monitors soon, probably the Shure brand?

Just touched on this so you would understand my setup, and that I’m not in a studio perfect room. Ahhh the fun and joy of learning the art of recording! It’s a joy to learn! I’ve had to learn by listening to other mixes, asking questions and just simply by hearing with my ears what sounds right.

Thanks again for all the great tips.

Gary