Cubase 6 Control Room within Totalmix - 3 monitors

I have been using Cubase since the VST/32 days and I’m currently running Cubase 6.0 with an RME Fireface UFX. Before the UFX, I was using an Aurora 16 setup and controlling the volume for 2 monitor pairs with my mouse in the Cubase Control Room. When I received and hooked up my Fireface UFX, I was very happy using the dedicated monitor volume knob, and that has been serving me well for a few years.

I just got my hands on a third pair of monitors and I want to be able to switch between all 3 sets as I have before. It seems that Totalmix only allows for 2 sets of monitors. I’m pretty sure that I can just run one of the monitor pairs through a headphone out, but I would not be able to control all 3 monitor pairs with the single volume knob on the UFX. I know that in the Cubase Control Room, I can run up to 4 monitor pairs, but I would then have to go back to controlling my main output volume via mouse and fader. Is there any way to achieve 3 or more monitor pairs and still use the UFX’s volume control?

I know this may be more of a Totalmix issue, but I know Cubase routing has a lot to do with it as well, so I figured to ask here in hopes that someone has accomplished this. Thanks!

You can control the Main mix and the two Phones channels via the UFX Volume knob.

[/quote]
You can control the Main mix and the two Phones channels via the UFX Volume knob.[/quote]

I am aware of that, but you have to push the volume controller in to switch from Phones1, Phones2, and Main (which controls both speakers A and B). So with that setup, I couldn’t do a quick A-B-C comparison. I can do a quick A-B comparison, but in order to listen to C, I would have to turn the main volume all the way down, press the volume controller to go to Phones1 (where I would have monitor C connected), and then turn the volume up. Although that can work, that really isn’t a feasible way to do quick comparisons.

If I were connected to the Cubase Control Room directly, I would just have to press one button and the volume would stay the same on each monitor pair. I just wouldn’t be able to use the volume controller on the Fireface UFX.

That’ s m point. You can set up the three monitors to the main out, and the wo phomes outs, all three are (fast) switchable via the Cubase control room, and volume controllable via the UFX volume knob.

I can run up to 4 monitor pairs, but I would then have to go back to controlling my main output volume via mouse and fader.

Thanks for the info, Thinkingcap. Between you and this post Several UFX questions (Page 1) — FireWire & USB series — RME User Forum, I figured out exactly what I wanted to do. Thanks again!