OS X 10.9 Mavericks and Cubase 7

Has anyone got any heads up on how Cubase is doing under OS X 10.9?

I feel it’s coming in the pipeline ,probably this month and will most likely update right away but the only thing that will stop me is Cubase 7 problems.

Aloha H,

I hate to keep harping on this and have posted several times but

since the release of 10.7 (Lion) to 10.8 (M. Lion) and now 10.9 (Marvericks);
(and from everything I have read/heard),
there have been NO improvements/enhancements/developments etc
to the Mac OS ‘Core MIDI’ or ‘Core Audio’ functions at all.

There has been a ‘dead stop’ in the development of
these two areas of the Mac operating system for several years.

Now that the new ‘Logic’ DAW has shipped and with the new (made in America) Mac Pros
soon coming ‘on-line’ perhaps we will see some forward movement in this area.

Fingers crossed.

and will most likely update right away

DANGER WILL ROBINSON!!! DANGER! DANGER!

Consider a brief waiting period of a day or so.

{‘-’}

Seriously I swear OSX moves through updates like nobodies business, I always wait a month after the newest version is updated so Steinberg can approve the update. Then after that I never update again till the next one. So it’s always 10.7-10.8-10.9 nothing inbetween.

Thanks guys.
Curteye - i’ve seen you post that before yes and while I understand your disappointment I think the Macs handling of audio is spot on at the moment.I’m sure someone will disagree though :slight_smile:

Likewise

FilmNM - Having switched from a Windows platform in spring i’ve never had an OS that required such little updating.
If you think the Mac updates are bad (big ones every year adding features and a few in-between ,right? ) then how about you go use windows for a while and see how you live in luxury :laughing:

As you may know, Apple’s Mac OS X 10.9 has just been released. Currently we are testing all Steinberg products for OS X 10.9 compatibility. The testing is still going on, so we cannot provide you with the final results.

However, what is known so far is that all Steinberg software products (except for Cubase LE / AI / Elements 7.0.6) are affected by an issue with the CoreAudio2ASIO component when using audio hardware in class-compliant mode which may lead to dangerous digital noise. Some Steinberg hardware products need to be updated as well to ensure full compatibility with the new OS X version. We therefore recommend you not to upgrade to OS X 10.9 yet.*

We are already working on updates for affected products in order to make them available as soon as possible. We will keep you up to date. Please continue to visit http://www.steinberg.net for news and updates.

*In case you are using Cubase 7 and want to update to OS X 10.9 anyway, please make sure to deactivate the “Display have separate Spaces” option in the Mission Control Preferences.

I wonder if it is related to a serious bug I reported a while back, but has since disappeared from the ‘issues’ forum.

1 out of 4(?) times, I get a dangerous blast of white noise just by disabling the Control Room via the VST Connections/Studio window. (repeat: the VST Connections/Studio window, NOT by using the switch in the Mixer Control Room panel.) I don’t use Control Room because of this…

(Pretty common set-up here: Mac Pro with MOTU interface running Mountain Lion. Nothing out of the ordinary)

hi all,

installed mavericks on mac pro mid 2012, cubase 7.06 seems to be working as before, with just basic testing, native instrument, superior drummer, and waves plugins seems all to be ok. Also no probs with saffire pro 40.

The feedback is appreciated. I will be holding off and sticking to 10.8.5 for a number of weeks until a few things are ironed out. Can’t jump in while in the middle of big projects.

I do know on one of my non-critical Macs I did the 10.9 upgrade and almost everything I’ve thrown at it has worked alright (Logic X, Pro Tools 10 & 11, SoundMiner, etc.) but have not tested Cubase.

However, what is known so far is that all Steinberg software products (except for Cubase LE / AI / Elements 7.0.6) are affected by an issue with the CoreAudio2ASIO component when using audio hardware in class-compliant mode which may lead to dangerous digital noise.

Having experienced this noise blast several time while playing around with Control Room in C7, this warning should not be taken lightly. Instant hearing loss and potential speaker damage. Don’t say you weren’t warned.

:exclamation:

They’ve finally done it… Cubase has been weaponized. :astonished:

Aloha guys and thanks for these reports.

Can’t update just yet because of a couple of on-going projects.
Looking forward tho’
{‘-’}

This along with Cubase’s new NSA plugin in 7.5 will be awesome.

on a side note Steffan, I work on many of the shows you compose for from Hasbro. On the audio and video side…Small world man!

Good work BTW!

From Steinberg: “*In case you are using Cubase 7 and want to update to OS X 10.9 anyway, please make sure to deactivate the “Display have separate Spaces” option in the Mission Control Preferences.”

I’m still on 10.8.5, but when I look at my Mission Control Prefs there is no “Display have separate Spaces” option. Perhaps the options are different in Mavericks??

Sorry for a possibly dumb question, but does this imply that using a “working” (e.g. not fully supported) version of Cubase under Mavericks with NO class-compliant audio hardware connected (e.g. the Mac’s own internal audio interface) should be safe?

I’m using an antediluvian CB Studio 5.5 which is doing just fine right now, but obviously I don feel confident enough to just let it run.

Thanks in advance.

That’s because it’s new to 10.9 :wink:

Thanks, Steve. That’s what I was guessing when I wrote “Perhaps the options are different in Mavericks??” :slight_smile:

Yeah its one of the bigger additions they made to O SX.
Better multi monitor support.

Personally I only use one screen and make use of the virtual desktops and a trackpad, one for the mixer and one for the project window.
I haven’t and continue to not have any issues worth noting.
The control room bug sound disturbing though, I’ll make sure I don’t touch that!

Had my first full on crash today.
Had a project open for around 8 hours today and suddenly I got a white screen and some text saying the Mac has crashed.
It rebooted.
Loaded up cubase but Cubase crashed every single time I tried to “open file…”
It would crash as soon as I opened my self made directory “Cubase Projects”
I tried it a few times, crash crash crash.
In the end I think I just found the project file and double clicked it and got in that way.

I had to turn on and off the UR28M as I think it crashed and wasn’t being recognised.
Infact it was in the device list under Yamaha something…

The crash happened when I was switching the device driver over from UR28M to Built In Audio on my iMac.
I did have a deactivated and turned off DSP effect on one channel and thought that might have been the cause.

Are you using 32bit Cubase? A white screen is a symptom of low memory.

Aloha H,
and mahalo for the report.

We need to know the ‘good and the bad’ when major new stuff arrives.
That way we can figure the probs and keep moving forward.

Thanks again for the info.
{‘-’}