VariAudio: Flatten vs. Bounce?

Hi -

What is different if one flattens from within VariAudio, vs. leaving VariAudio and then bouncing in the project page instead?

What I do now, because I’m unsure, is do both. Does that hurt to do?

Thanks much!

The quick response, IMO, would be Edit History.

If one still intends doing additional work on the audio file, leave till the end - thereby having the option to “undo” per step.
Cannot remember (not near DAW) the impact of real-time processing per track of affected audio vs audio that’s been “flattened”

Thank you, C.LYDE101!

I thought maybe this was a completely obvious thing that only I didn’t know … the Ops Manual doesn’t even define “flatten” … but I guess it’s, based on your very helpful comments and the lack of others that maybe it’s not something that people know a lot about.

I haven’t been at the DAW for ages, but I will check out the effect of flatten vs. bounce on edit history.

Thanks again!

I would choose bounce over flatten for all aspects of audio pitch editing, because it is easier to cut and paste a small snippet of audio than it is to delve into edit history.

My usual workflow is:

1 Make copy of untouched vocal performance and put aside as safety/ restore option
2 Bounce sections of audio, say 30 seconds roughly (long sections make for slow graphic response in variaudio)
3 Work on variaudio, pitch, stretch etc until satisfied

In most cases I leave things at this stage. Sometimes I might duplicate the edited track and once again bounce audio.

This gives me the choice of being able revert, compare and rework small sections. With everything on screen, labelled and clear.

P

Thanks, Parrotspain! I like the idea of making all the copies, especially that last one you describe after step 3 so as to have the VariAudio edits available later on for review or further editing.

Does no-one use the intended VariAudio function, “flatten”? How does it process the audio differently than bounce!

I tend to avoid ‘flatten’ also, because I know that ‘bounce’ makes an exact copy of what I am already hearing…I don’t want to risk ‘flatten’ and default to some low res algorhythm that I might not notice immediately if working fast. I’d then have to go searching for some buried undo in ‘history’. So I stick to the method in my first post…very easy to correct and update.

P

it does not :confused:

I tested this Lukas…

1 recorded vocal
2 variaudio edited vocal
3 duplicated audio track
4 bounced duplicate track in place
5 reversed phase of duplicated
6 played both audio tracks together

Result = null

It works perfectly!

P

good to be able to rely on this then, cheers!

(the issues with realtime vs bounce/flatten discrepancies relate to audio warping.)