Feature Addition Request: Save As Template WITHOUT MEDIA

You could, theoretically, open an empty project and Add Track From Preset from a multi-track preset. I think that’s what Chris meant.

However…

I recently tried to do something very similar (save an “all tracks” preset from one project, then load the preset to all tracks of another project with identical track configuration), and had a few problems.

1.) Folders did not load properly. Perhaps folder structure is not one of the attributes stored in a track preset, but if so, track presets should not be considered a comprehensive solution for template loading.

2.) Sends to insert sidechain inputs did not load–a big issue when one’s default project has all kinds of triggering/ducking going on.

(This was using 6.02.)

For what it’s worth, I think that those seeing no need for audio/pool data in templates should consider those who work with samples and might want to load a familiar audio library with each new project. I do not personally do this, but I can at least see how that could be useful to some.

However, I do think that a.) track templates (even hugely multi-track ones) are not complete enough to be considered a template replacement, and b.) having to save a dummy project, remove events, empty the pool (while hoping you don’t press the wrong button and delete days of work), THEN save the template… is a quite tedious, and involves a step that brings the user within a single mouseclick of a very serious, non-undo-able, non-recycle-bin-recoverable delete operation. It’s what I currently do, but I don’t like it, and I think that a ‘Save Template with No Audio’ function would be incredibly helpful.

1 Like