Android version - coming soon!

I got the beta application form…But I am not at all sure how I am supposed to fill it in and return it…

Am I supposed to download the zip containing the pdf files, print them out, fill them out, then scan them, then encode them to pdf file again, zip them and then email them back to Steinberg?

Or am I missing something here and there is a much easier way?? If there is no easier way, that is kind of bizarre…

Would annotating the pdf files do? I use foxit reader and it doesn’t seem to have the ability to annotate…and I am loath to install adobe bloatware…
Might have to pass on my beta participation due to the application process being such a seeming pain.

How soon?

Q3 is over, any new dates ?

thank you so much for Android version :smiley:

just think another 3 months and it would of been a year since the announcement of "will be released SOON and still no word .

Ive been holding off of buying a remote because of this , now are we going to get a windows tablet based ic pro or android ?

I just want to KNOW. At the very least they are trying to find people to participate in a Beta test…

Steinberg, even if the news is bad… TELL US SOMETHING! ANYTHING! PLEEEEEASE :frowning:

Maybe they’re too embarrassed. They have lost an awful lot of credibility over this. And by the time they’re done with the Android version (IF they ever finish it…), most people will have shifted to Windows tablets, which are far far more capable than anything Android or iOS.

I saw a demo of the new Dell Venue 8 Pro, which will become available at the end of the month. I was MIGHTILY impressed. The quad-core Bay Trail is phenomenal, finally a CPU that’s light, portable, very good battery performance and yet very very capable (it simply crushes any ARM chip.) In fact that thing has the power of an i3 laptop and it runs every Windows application. Price: $299. Unbelievable… I’ll definitely buy one.

yep im one of those people , android is dead in the water now , it’s all about win tablets , I think leaving the idea for a year and expect technology to stand still is I bit silly

r u serious? Android is hugely successful. last time i checked microsoft was way behind. who the hell has a windows phone or a win tablet?

Yes I am serious , this isn’t about phones this is about a system the will allow an easy upgrade of apps further down the road and the win tablets are the way forward . Ipad for you mac pro - win tablet for you i7 , android is now the fish out of water in this game. Steinberg missed the boat on this .

Android isn’t dead in the water. It’s the biggest portable OS out there. Will Win/Win RT expand in the marketplace? No doubt, but it’ll still be a while.

I do however agree that Steinberg’s priorities are bizarre. Very bizarre even.

Yes, but I’m pretty sure that things are going to change soon. Remember what we wanted when the iPad was introduced: laptop power in a smaller, lighter, more portable form factor. Since at that time it was an impossible feat, basically Apple went about a decade in the past with much inferior computing power and put in a PHONE operating system. Android was developed with the same concept in mind. Which means that none of these OS’s can develop much more than they’ve already done. Now that 8-inch Win 8.1 tablets with Bay Trail are finally available (end of this month), the old dream of having a REAL computer in one hand is finally coming true and I’m pretty sure that sooner or later people will realize how primitive iOS and Android are compared to a fully-functional OS like Windows. Heck, even simple file management on iOS and Android is a hassle. Again, because they are PHONE operating systems and they were never meant to do anything harder than social media, video playing, e-book reading, email etc.

A Bay Trail tablet can actually run Cubase 7. What other tablet can do that? (I mean aside from i5 tablets, of course, but those will cost substantially more.)

I understand what you’re saying. The problem is that right now Android is the biggest “portable” OS. People buy Android devices because they’re the best value out there, and they buy them for general computing. People buy Apple for the style, for general computing, and it is also overrepresented in our industry (compared to general marketshare).

But where does that leave Windows? In our industry it’d compete with Apple products. And we all know how fond many people are of their iWhatevers. Not that people won’t buy Win tablets, they will, but not in huge numbers all of a sudden. And similarly people won’t all of a sudden get rid of their general computing Android tablets either, because they were bought because they were cheap relative to Apple’s devices.

I too think it’ll change, but my point was that Android isn’t “dead in the water” now. I think we’ll see big change once larger corporations start adopting Windows 8.x. Then people will be trying the new OS whether they like it or not, and IT people will start integrating other devices that represent the path of least resistance, i.e. RT tablets and Win phones.

So on second thought it was a tough choice for Steinberg in deciding which OS to focus on. iOS which is used a lot in media industries? Android which has the biggest market share? Windows which will be a strong contender in the future? I’d say Windows would have been the least smart choice simply because the market isn’t there yet, and there’s still time to port over to it. Will they? Who knows.

Yeah, Balmer had a little help sacking himself because he was so on target with the windows mobile strategy. You keep waiting for that Windows Surface revolution. Oh and the dev community is sure buying in … yep … they love Surface + Modern … uh well maybe not.

Coming soon? :slight_smile:

So, when? :slight_smile:

+1 for when? Why this wasn’t a parallel build of all platforms is beyond me. In what magical business world does a company ignore the platform or possible customer base that is in the majority. I must applaud Apples marketing as it must be the best marketing ever. I’d say they went 110% and that is actually impossible even though personal trainers and executive team builder tell you otherwise. Apple have managed it.
I think it will probably be released in the future as it’s very hard to make things happen in the past. That’s just a guess though. Though if we got Apples marketing team on it , they would be able to manage 110% into the future. This would mean that we would shoot past the future and end up at the beginning , which will allow us to come hammering up our own backsides and deliver an android and windows version. Now wouldn’t that be nice.

Steinberg! Give us done kind of update on this, please!

+1 on an update…

I’ve always seen musicians as a practical bunch. Using a tablet instead of a laptop is a “practical” thing: when you’re gigging, you want to get rid of as much excess baggage as you can. But until now, it came at a price: you couldn’t use your regular DAW, you had to settle for something that wasn’t even as good as the “lite” version. So, it was Cubasis instead of Cubase and GarageBand instead of Logic. HUGE difference. Apple is now making a fuss about the latest GB being able to use up to a whopping 32 tracks… Wow. Are we back to 1985? :unamused:

So, the next “practical” thing would be to have a tablet that’s just as small, light and ultraportable, but that can actually run the SAME DAW you use on your desktop/laptop every day in your studio. With the sole exception of Windows RT tablets (I’ve never understood why people would want to buy a “Windows lite” device…), every Win 8.1 tablet can do that, and IMHO it won’t be long before musicians start to realize that.

I have a song here which uses 39 tracks alone for drums and percussion. :smiley: