VST Connect & VST Connect SE - Solution Thread

A few comments and an easy request:

First: Love it! Very stable for me and so many possibilities.

Second: Read this whole thread and there are several excellent suggestions as to functionality enhancements.

MIDI would be cool but it would have to come with audio, whatever the performer is hearing as they play for reference (it’s a delay thing - you could not generate audio on the studio side for performer monitor, obviously). Then sounds/performance could be edited as MIDI on the studio side. Nice.

Stereo would be great. At first I thought it would do this until I realized that the addition of the “Inst” track just gives you a separate talkback mic on the performer side. Needed, in some circumstances, though (mic on a guitar amp, FI).

Cubase/Nuendo Networking capability - in kinda real time - would be great. Either side records something and the other side sees it happening and could hear it too. That would require various delay compensations on both sides - a full+ version of VST Connect. And identical plugins. Of course jamming is impossible. It would get complicated: An audio recording on one side would be recorded from it’s compressed web version on the other. Perhaps marked as such for possible future integration. Or - as an option - MIDI could be transmitted and recorded AND played back by the remote by any plugin. Whatever - A BIG jump . . . but a cool one.

That last idea is a big extension of the whole VST Connect concept, extending it beyond a remote performer to complete integration and mirroring of 2 running instances of Cubase/Nuendo.

My last comment: It seems to me that there are - without major changes - 2 basic uses for VST Connect.

1. The obvious. somebody far away adds a couple parts to whatever you are working on. Works pretty excellently as it is.
  2. Obvious - but not properly implemented: Working together on a project.
    And the thing is, this use only requires one little change in VSTC to be MUCH more do-able.

And it’s already been mentioned: A rehearse mode.
Specifically, allow transmit of the full cue mix from the Studio side - including sounds/MIDI VSTis being currently recorded on the studio side - to the performer side in “Full” fidelity without the additional delay compensation on the studio side. The performer would be listening only. Again, no “jamming”. Easy. All the functionality is already there.

This would allow real time (one side at a time) collaboration for songwriting and such, but ALSO . .
Some people (like me) have mentioned using VSTC as a way to play “ideas in progress” for Film and TV work to clients. This would allow the composer/editor (Studio side) to try new things in real time while the client listens! Brilliant.

Just ONE button: Activate cue send AND turn off additional delay compensation on Studio side. During play OR Stop. Piece of cake.

PLEASE don’t wait for the BIG FULL VERSION to do this. Do it now, call it VST Connect SEplus, and I’ll pay for it (hey . . I’ll even beta it . . just sayin).

Hugh