Transposing the Chord Track

Yeah I can confirm that. It also matches my latest (in a long line) theory about what is happening. Put in any sequence of chords and select them all. The root key shown in the info line is always the root of the first chord in the sequence, lets call that X. You should be able to transpose the entire sequence to any root key that is below X in the drop-down list. So if X is F then you can transpose to F#, G, G#…B. You can also transpose to root keys above X in the list, but there is a limitation when doing that. You can only go up in the list until any chord in the sequence gets to C. Once that happens you can’t go any higher. So, for example, if you have 2 chords F and D, and select them both the root key (F) can be changed to E and D# but no further. That’s because when the root gets to D# the second chord (initially D) is now C. So it seems that the algorithm is broken in that it doesn’t allow any chord to pass beyond the C boundary going up in the list.

Kind of hard to describe, so I hope that made sense. Can anyone confirm?

That is precisely my finding, and that is why I chose B (the highest) and C (the lowest) for the chords.

Everything works as one would expect it…?

• selecting “all” would include the scale selection; the Root Key refers to the scale not the chords
  • selection of only the chords, when clicking on the Root Key, a drop down box appears [- to B]
  • choosing a key here and the chords change accordingly

What’s your point? That it does work, or what?

Except the cords only sometimes change accordingly, other times they won’t change at all or they will only change to some roots and not others. This has been reported by numerous folks on several different threads. We’re trying to understand what differentiates one situation from the other. Are you saying that if you create a B followed by a C chord (in that order) that you can select both of those chords and successfully transpose them via the Root Key? I know they won’t on both my PC and Steve’s Mac.

Yes

Hmph. Interesting

I just want to verify that we are not somehow talking apples and oranges. Attached is a screen grab of the test case on my DAW. Setup like this I, and several others, am consistently unable to change the chords by changing the value in the root key field. If you are able to make this work, can you see anything that is setup differently on your system than what is shown in the image?

Chords should be able to transpose via the Transpose function in the midi menu.
…and They should instantly follow the Transpose Track…I know…probably possible in Cubase 8 :wink:

It’s possible right now - works like clock work. :wink:

Clockwork Orange you mean?

Selecting just the chords or both the chords and the scale makes no difference on the ability to transpose chords on my system. The behavior is exactly the same either way.

Also I’m pretty sure that Root Key refers to both the scale and the chord. The term Root Key in itself doesn’t have any musical meaning but if read as Root or Key it makes sense.

1. Scales have Keys but not Roots. Chords have Roots but not Keys.
  2. If you select just a single chord, and that’s it - no scale, the Root Key field has a value in it. And if you change that value the chord changes. So clearly it is a piece of data stored in the data structure of a chord object - if it wasn’t then that field wouldn’t be displayed when a chord is selected. Compare the available fields on the info line when just a chord or just a scale is selected. They share 2 data fields Start and Root Key but everything is is unique to one or the other.

You’re kidding right. The transpose function is greyed-out in the midi menu when chords are selected.

Just quickly trying that recipe here… I can confirm.
This is what is happening here…
When I Select All, it selects also the Scale event, causing the Info Line to grey out. If I just de-select the Scale event, the Info Line then works o.k.
But, interestingly, after following the remainder of Steve’s recipe, it then works o.k., even with that Scale event selected.

@Raino - the operative word is REFERS - read…don’t ramble.

@SteveinChicago - cesium clock, every single time, behavior exactly as I expect and understand it to be designed

I’m done here… figure it out, don’t figure out… I’m busy making music…

Interesting. I played around with this and it seems that if Automatic Scales is enabled and you select both the chords and the scale then the Root Key is greyed out. But if you disable Automatic Scales it isn’t.

Personally I always leave Automatic Scales off because it is annoying having it change the scale every time I use a chord with an out of scale note in it.

Gee thanks, I hadn’t realized I’d missed such a subtle distinction.

This appears to have been fixed in 7.5. :smiley: