Real time CPU peaks/spikes with 1 VSTi?

Everything else...

Real time CPU peaks/spikes with 1 VSTi?

Postby realizment2 » Thu Oct 17, 2013 11:27 am

Guys,

Tonight i was getting bad spikes/peaks in the performance meter with 1 instance of Z3TA running. Just holding a key own laying arp. Then if i let it play back and edited ANY of its parameters it would constantly spike.

Im running latest Cubase 7 On a very Stable high performance machine. Ive been doing intense mixing in pro tools on this system.

its and Intel i7 2600k. 16GB DDR GSkill Ram. SSD Drive. Win 7 64Bit. SP1. Any ideas guys this is very irriating. Im using a saffire pro 56 Interface. I was going from 1024 to 128 same result in all settings.

I tested with DPC latency checker and all looks good in there.

Thank you.I havent used Cubase 7 much yet but anything previous to tonight seemed fine.

Thanks guys!
realizment2

Re: Real time CPU peaks/spikes with 1 VSTi?

Postby realizment2 » Thu Oct 17, 2013 11:17 pm

Anyone?
realizment2

Postby jaslan » Thu Oct 17, 2013 11:37 pm

Are you actually getting dropouts and crackles?
If so, what is the buffer set at? Can you raise it without introducing an unreasonable amount of latency?
J.L.
Core-i7 2820QM, 16GB RAM. Cubase 8 and Cubase 6.5.5 x64 on Windows 7. Scarlett 2i2. M-Audio Axiom Pro 61. Komplete 8. HALion 5. Jamstix 3.6. HSO VST Sound Set. Absolute VST+. 418 Carrier Landings.
SoundCloud
jaslan

Postby chimpspanner » Fri Oct 18, 2013 9:52 am

While I have noticed that the real time CPU meter is a bit jumpy in 7 (I'm on an i7, 8GB, Komplete Audio 6) I have found that some synths are inherently more twitchy than others. Z3TA2 gives me occasional clicks/crackles only when the GUI is open. Otherwise it's fine. Have you tested other synths, or is it only Z3TA?
www.chimpspanner.com
www.facebook.com/chimpspanner
www.youtube.com/chimpspanner
chimpspanner

Postby realizment2 » Fri Oct 18, 2013 3:17 pm

Not bad dropouts and crackles. Few crackles here and there with different VST. My latency is pretty good right up to 1024. But issues remain. These issues are far from extreme. But they are annoying. Yes i have tried multiple z3ta seems to be a problem and with GUI yea if you roll the mouse on the envelope gate it will give a peak everytime for me. can you check and see the same? Performance is super in pro tools and i dont like saying that because cubase is my first love. But right now CPU meter is off in 7 for sure.
realizment2

Postby realizment2 » Sat Oct 19, 2013 8:43 am

Any official info on this? Its not really ideal for an expensive DAW.
realizment2

Postby realizment2 » Sat Oct 19, 2013 1:57 pm

Ive been doing some testing. And something is definitely not right and not like how it used to be.

Ive duplicated some tracks (NO AUDIO) With some active plugins. (Waves MM Delay, REDD17 and redd37) On each track over 30 tracks running at 1024 and 24bit 44.1KHZ.

Im hitting higher performance levels now with just that nothing on tracks except those plugins. Than when i was running fulling blown sessions. Something is just not right. Where is cubase support!
realizment2

Postby jaslan » Sat Oct 19, 2013 2:03 pm

It is difficult to follow what you are saying but it sounds like you are saying the performance is bad when you are using specific plug-ins. Are those plug-ins bridged (i.e. 32 bit) or are there updates available for them?
What happens if you remove all third party plug-ins? How is the performance then?
So far, it sounds like all the problems you describe are related to third party plugs. Have you checked the websites for those products?
J.L.
Core-i7 2820QM, 16GB RAM. Cubase 8 and Cubase 6.5.5 x64 on Windows 7. Scarlett 2i2. M-Audio Axiom Pro 61. Komplete 8. HALion 5. Jamstix 3.6. HSO VST Sound Set. Absolute VST+. 418 Carrier Landings.
SoundCloud
jaslan

Postby Rhino » Sat Oct 19, 2013 6:07 pm

check in device setup if Cubase uses the proper ASIO driver for your device, and not its own generic ASIO Multimedia Driver or what it's called.
a shot in the dark, but this has bitten me more than once after fresh installs ...
good luck,
Rhino
When you tear out a man's tongue, you are not proving him a liar, you're only telling the world that you fear what he might say.
(George R.R. Martin)
Rhino

Postby realizment2 » Sun Oct 20, 2013 1:12 pm

jaslan wrote:It is difficult to follow what you are saying but it sounds like you are saying the performance is bad when you are using specific plug-ins. Are those plug-ins bridged (i.e. 32 bit) or are there updates available for them?
What happens if you remove all third party plug-ins? How is the performance then?
So far, it sounds like all the problems you describe are related to third party plugs. Have you checked the websites for those products?
J.L.

I tested again today with nothing but straight audio tracks. I imported about 30 wavs no plugins. Steal getting spikes. And also the cache peaks every-time i hit start/stop I cant remember if thats normal or not?

Thanks
realizment2

Postby realizment2 » Sun Oct 20, 2013 1:14 pm

Rhino wrote:check in device setup if Cubase uses the proper ASIO driver for your device, and not its own generic ASIO Multimedia Driver or what it's called.
a shot in the dark, but this has bitten me more than once after fresh installs ...
good luck,
Rhino

Thanks but this is the first thing I would check always. My audio interface in this particular set up is a Focusrite Saffire 56. And previously was running wonderfully ASIO. Its driving pro tools like a dream. I even tried by installing the Legacy firewire driver as the focusrites sometimes prefers that.
realizment2

Postby realizment2 » Fri Oct 25, 2013 12:10 am

Guys,

these CPU spikes are just ridiculous now. Im getting spikes in a very minimal session just by highlighting some MIDI notes??
realizment2

Postby realizment2 » Fri Nov 08, 2013 11:09 am

I just want to update this. I think a lot of the spikes are 100% GUI related. Just hovering the mouse over certain VST makie it spike. And sometimes even just highlighting the midi notes in the midi editor make it spike.

Anyone else notice this?
realizment2

Postby SoundComposer » Sun Nov 10, 2013 1:27 am

I have CPU spikes on my machine as well. Is that what you get? My CPU meter is on half or 2/3 and if I have too many plugins or synths (that is more than a few) then the CPU meter makes sudden spikes making any audio recording impossible since it stops the audio. I have to turn of almost everything to avoid it and still not safe home always.

Never had this in Cubase 6.5 or earlier. Also high performance machine here...
Toni Martin Dobrzanski
SoundComposer
Nybrovej 75
2820 Gentofte
DENMARK
http://www.soundcomposer.dk

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
MASTER: MacPro3,1 w. 2 X Quad-core 2.8 GHz | 24 GB RAM | Projects HD RAID | Samples 1 X SSD + 3 X eSata HD | Mac OSX 10.8.5 Mountain Lion
SLAVES: 2 PCs both i7 | 16/32 GB RAM | SSD | Windows 7 Ultimate | Vienna Ensemble Pro 5
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Cubase 7.0.6 | Logic 9.1.8 | WaveLab 7.2 | Sibelius 6.2 | VEP5 | EWQL SO/Choir/Ra/Silk/SD2/Pianos | LASS 2 | CineHarp | Cineorch | NI Komplete 9 Ultimate | ProjectSAM Flute FX & Symphobia | Spectrasonics Stylus/Omnisphere/Trilian | Spitfire Albion |
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
SoundComposer

Postby realizment2 » Sun Nov 10, 2013 2:45 am

SoundComposer wrote:I have CPU spikes on my machine as well. Is that what you get? My CPU meter is on half or 2/3 and if I have too many plugins or synths (that is more than a few) then the CPU meter makes sudden spikes making any audio recording impossible since it stops the audio. I have to turn of almost everything to avoid it and still not safe home always.

Never had this in Cubase 6.5 or earlier. Also high performance machine here...

My meter can be barely on 1 and get these random spikes! the general performance is ok but these spikes are annoying and I know deep down they are unnecessary. I run a loaded session in standard 32 bit PT10 on the same machine and it out performs 64bit cubase 7 by about 98%. Not good!
realizment2

Postby lunaorbit » Sun Nov 17, 2013 8:51 am

yep, i get these spikes as well moving the mouse around !
AMD FX 8-Core | Windows 7 Professional 64-bit | Sonic Core | Cubase 7 | Halion 4 |Groove Agent 3 | Plugins by Slate, URS, SoundToys, G-Sonique, FXpansion, Sugarbytes, Audio Damage, and more..
lunaorbit

Postby lunaorbit » Fri Nov 22, 2013 10:41 pm

well after much investigation and trials to fix this I have not solution..

GUI causes audio dropouts and cpu spikes. I loaded up AI6 and maxed it out with no dropouts at all.
The dropouts are caused when opening windows or even sliding on the mixers. It was glitching with automation on Halion, then i hid the vsti and the glitching stopped when the interface was hidden.

I have tried new GFX card drivers, tried ATI and nvidia cards, tried all performance tips, DPC checker which is all OK. I tested 2 ASIO cards, buffer sizes etc which does not change the issues. Tried 32bit and 64 bit.. It may be a problem with AMD chipset, but its a guess, Cubase 7 is unusable on my set up at present, I have to back to Cubase 6.5 ) : I hope they fix this, it all seems to be related to, and visible with, the real time CPU meter which spikes when using GUI.
AMD FX 8-Core | Windows 7 Professional 64-bit | Sonic Core | Cubase 7 | Halion 4 |Groove Agent 3 | Plugins by Slate, URS, SoundToys, G-Sonique, FXpansion, Sugarbytes, Audio Damage, and more..
lunaorbit

Postby Cubasesx2to5 » Mon Jan 13, 2014 4:18 pm

me too. I have newly built PC with nothing on it but Cubase 7.5 and Play 4. processor is i7 4770K. 240GB ssd. Runs amazingly, even my old big projects barely hit the 50% CPU average load, but when I move my mouse around the GUI my realtime CPU maxes out. Tried it with different mice so it doesn't seem to be a mouse driver issue

I just made this video to demonstrate it.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/x9a02fd26sqfc ... 094723.mp4

C'mon cubase this won't do.
Cubasesx2to5

Postby Anando » Mon Jan 13, 2014 8:16 pm

@Cubasesx2to5

I have similar problems: Massive ASIO spikes in Cubase when I load a Play 4.1.5 instance and move the mouse. It is sufficient to load Play, it is not necessary to replay a track with Play to get the spikes. Renders any project with Play 4 unusable, very annoying.

Do you use the iGPU, the onboard gaphics of the i7-4770K? I'm asking, because I use the iGPU of my i7-3770K and suppose it's a combination of the brand new Play Version 4.1.5 and newer intel graphics drivers.

I don't even have to move the mouse wildly around like you did in your video. I get an ASIO spike every time - no joke - the shape of the mouse cursor changes. This happens at boundaries of GUI elements in Cubase 6, 7.06 and 7.5, but interestingly also at GUI elements of the windows desktop.

• I don't get those ASIO spikes with Play 3.0.47
  • I don't get them with Play 4.1.5 if I uninstall the intel graphics driver and use the generic VGA driver of Windows 7
  • I don't get them if I install a very old intel iGPU driver from 2012
  • Some others say they don't get spikes with Play 4.0.23, which unfortunately is not available anymore

So it's definitely not the mouse driver, it's ... Hmmm....In the changelog of Play 4.1.0, the version following 4.0.23, I read
* Fixed graphical glitches in envelopes
* Fixed interface flashing/crashing when switching to Player during load

That is sufficient to propose my conspiracy theory: Problem with Play 4.1.5 and intel graphic drivers. Not a problem with Cubase. Okay, Cubase could still play a role, could be a combination of all...

For the time being, I use the very old intel graphics driver and hope for a fix, which, I fear, may take a long time. I guess East West will blame Cubase, never blame intel (and if, intel wouldn't care). Should they blame themselves? I don't know.
Cubase 7.5 x64 • Win7 x64 • Intel i7-3770K 3,5 GHz • Asus P8Z77-V Pro • MOTU UltraLite-mk3 Hybrid (USB)
Anando

Postby SoundComposer » Mon Jan 13, 2014 9:44 pm

I don't think I have updated Play since version 3 so it works for me. Or maybe that's why I have CPU spikes - hey?

Anyway PLAY is *flower*. It always have… Avoid it if you don't want problems :)
Last edited by SoundComposer on Mon Jan 13, 2014 9:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Toni Martin Dobrzanski
SoundComposer
Nybrovej 75
2820 Gentofte
DENMARK

MASTER: MacPro3,1 w. 2 X Quad-core 2.8 GHz | 24 GB RAM | Projects HD RAID | Samples 1 X SSD + 3 X eSata HD | Mac OSX 10.8.5 Mountain Lion
SLAVES: 2 PCs both i7 | 16/32 GB RAM | SSD | Windows 7 Ultimate | Vienna Ensemble Pro 5
Cubase 7.0.6 | Logic 9.1.8 | WaveLab 7.2 | Sibelius 6.2 | VEP5 | EWQL SO/Choir/Ra/Silk/SD2/Pianos | LASS 2 | CineHarp | Cineorch | NI Komplete 9 Ultimate | ProjectSAM Flute FX & Symphobia | Spectrasonics Stylus/Omnisphere/Trilian | Spitfire Albion |
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
SoundComposer

Postby SoundComposer » Mon Jan 13, 2014 9:50 pm

Ha ha :) There is an automatic correction for less flattering words in this forum. So after being censored my previous comment has been embellished with such a beautifull expression as a *flower* :)
Toni Martin Dobrzanski
SoundComposer
Nybrovej 75
2820 Gentofte
DENMARK

SoundComposer

Postby Cubasesx2to5 » Tue Jan 14, 2014 12:02 am

Yes it looks like there is incompatibility between the Intel HD 4600 drivers and cubase. I went back to generic VGA driver and it works just fine.. problem is, there is no support for multiple monitors with the standard VGA driver so if I want to use both monitors, I have to put up with glitching... PLEASE look into this, Steinberg. I shelled out nearly 4 grand for all this gear and software.
Cubasesx2to5

Postby Anando » Tue Jan 14, 2014 12:43 am

Cubasesx2to5 wrote:Yes it looks like there is incompatibility between the Intel HD 4600 drivers and cubase.

Or an incompatibility between the newer Intel iGPU drivers and Play 4.1.x.
The next step would be to test another DAW, say, Reaper, to see if that results in ASIO spikes, too, when Play 4.1.5 is instanciated. I can't check that now, maybe later.
Last edited by Anando on Sun Jan 26, 2014 11:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Cubase 7.5 x64 • Win7 x64 • Intel i7-3770K 3,5 GHz • Asus P8Z77-V Pro • MOTU UltraLite-mk3 Hybrid (USB)
Anando

Postby realizment2 » Thu Jan 16, 2014 8:14 am

The issue is not just with PLAY its with other VSTs also. It has happened to me highlighting midi notes in the midi editor. This issue is still present in 7.5 . NEEDS TO BE ADDRESSED.
realizment2

Postby Anando » Thu Jan 16, 2014 10:04 am

Yes, realizment2, I think you have a slightly different problem, I figured that. Do you use the internal Intel graphics of your i7-2600k, by the way? The Intel graphics driver seems to be part of the problems of Cubasesx2to5 and me, but only together with PLAY, so not exactly your configuration.
Anando

Next

Return to Miscellaneous