Average performance load & real time peak issue!

This meter constantly peaks, a few times a second, without CE7 even playing any track. I’m looking at it right now, and its peaking once or twice every second. When I do play a track (for instance, a project that has only two tracks, no effects or processing) the playback pops and clicks like mad, and will eventually overload causing the audio to loop about half a second freezing CE7 and I’m forced to use task manager to shut it down.

How do you find out what is causing this?

Simply clicking and dragging the wave display area back and forth causes massive spiking.

Now I’ve closed my project, and the average load & real time peak are still peaking, though not as frequent.

When I uncheck “Multi Processing” (I have a dual core) in Device Setup, the real time peak still clips to red, same with Steinberg Power Scheme… though not as bad.

This has only been an issue getting worse the past few days, I’ve been using this for a few weeks with no performance problems (many tracks, many effects & midi instruments) does anyone have any ideas?

Thanks.

Maybe try to increase latency first and see what happens.

Check your system with the DPC latency checker: http://www.thesycon.de/deu/latency_check.shtml
There should be no spikes. Note DPC latency is different from sample buffer latency.

You can also use the Latency Mon.

http://www.resplendence.com/main

If you use a Loptop (i don’t know your computer setup) in some cases it will help if you turn wlan or bluetooth off.

Good Luck,

Thanks guys, but none of that seemed to make any difference.

For instance I have two tracks with wave files on them, no effects, no midi, and the cpu meter and peak load are just going nuts. I’ve rebooted my machine, no other programs running so what is Cubase 7 doing that causing my dual cpu to spazz out?

When I try to record a track, the cpu clips and then Cubase, with the record head still moving, ceases recording a waveform.

Using the demo of Cubase 6 to finish recording my track, and I have no problem at all.

I bought my Tascam and was looking forward to getting C6, but Steinberg no longer supported it so it upgraded me to 7 when I went to buy the full version of 6 which at first looked like a huge bonus. Guess how it turned out?

I’ve never used a more crashy, noisy, unusable piece of software, when I think of the hours I’ve wasted so far trying to get this to at least work… I am not having a positive customer experience.

How do I downgrade to Cubase 6? Or did it also give me the full version of 6 when I bought the upgrade? How can I tell?

Thanks again.

Sorry that it doesn’t work for you. It actually should but it’s hard to tell by remote why it doesn’t.

However, your Cubase 7 license covers Cubase 6 as well. Try here:
ftp://ftp.steinberg.net/Download/

I’ve never used a more crashy, noisy, unusable piece of software, when I think of the hours I’ve wasted so far trying to get this to at least work… I am not having a positive customer experience.

Have you updated Windows last time?
Seems that there is running a service in the background…
I have had the Disk Indexer (windows service) running after updating windows.
This service was scanning the HDD every time and there was the same effect you had…
Let your pc run over night then the disk indexing is ready.