Sound On Sound says it all: Too Dark

cubic , if new reasons were being mentioned then there would be something to write about but surely you all must be getting bored with writing the same old complaints over and over again , no new issues just the same old complaints that have been mentioned at least 100 times .
Im happy with c7 , it does what I need it to.
All these posts of the same old things are in my eyes getting rather boring as in the great immortal words of pink Floyd your "running over the same old ground " .
If your not happy with the route Steinberg are trying to take then there are other softwares because now Steinberg are a part of Yamaha I don’t think you and another couple of hundred people complaining are going to make the damn slightest difference . NOW THAT IS THE DOWN SIDE of Steinberg - Yamaha and when the integration happened in 2006 I held my head in my hands knowing it was going downhill but im still here for the ride but when it doesn’t suit me any more im not going to moan till im blue in the face to a major corporation i’ll just spend my money else where .

Congrats for your musical reference… But if it’s so boring, don’t feel the need to react. I feel the right to complain about the way things evolve simply because it doesn’t suits me and I’m a regular user of Steiny products. If nobody ever complain, there would have even been more issues and regressions, since. No matter what you say but there have been several examples in the past where Steiny changed things again after several complaints here, in a more positive way : to just name a recent one, remember the mixConsole settings and .vmx files ?

So, I’ll continue to moan, having paid 150€ for an upgrade that I don’t use : admit that the situation is rather unsatisfying. But, indeed, lesson taken : I will probably end here any Cubase paid upgrade in the future, unless there are really good surprises and/or fixes in them.

Cubic it’s you right and choice to do as you please im only trying to raise the point that these problems have been mentioned time and time again . The vmx files as you quite rightly stated were re-implemented as you say but that was because of lots of complaints from lots of different users and not just a few complaining over and over.

As we said earlier we all want individual things and Steinberg has the hard job of implementing for the masses … anyway it’s Saturday night ,clock go back tomorrow , don’t forget about the rescan and I hope you get what your asking for but IMHO cubase is better than ever .

good luck on your quest :wink:

I admit that I’m feeling rather lonely when complaining about all the UI regressions but, sincerely, these are the main reason why I don’t use C7. Alone, the white masked cursor is for me a showstopper : I simply can’t use it without glasses and don’t want to have to wear glasses while being for several hours working with Cubase and all my musical stuff.

So, moaning again and again is the only solution left for me to say to Steiny : ‘Hey, buddy, did you think of all the 53 years old farts who no longer have the eyes that they had twenty years ago ? Please think about it a little further…’. I already tried a PM to Christian Dettner, feature requests, several threads and posts, to a point where I can indeed feel boring. Simply, the UI regressions that I’m experiencing, as a whole, prevents me to use C7 and I DO want to use it. It’s not a stubborn attitude, it’s coming from my experience of C7 against previous versions and what I’m fearing the most is that they could be here to stay.

But who knows ? maybe someone in the product planning department will finally reconsider some of the things I stated, again : so, I don’t give up…

No harm done, G-string, and all the best… :wink:

don’t feel lonely!
The masked cursor is possibly the worst thing about the UI changes in Cubase 7. (and seemingly so simple to fix!)
It looks bad and ,more importantly, its appearance actually impacts on its functionality.
I often work with my snap set to ‘beat’ and find myself questioning whether I’m correctly aligned to the first beat of a bar (etc.) due mainly to the masked cursor. I might often have to zoom in further to be sure. (this wasn’t the case in previous versions.)

So yeah, I think it’s fair to comment that this is an actual regression, rather than a new feature one must just get used to.

Slightly more on topic : I’d agree that some more customisation options would be nice.
Personally I don’t mind the darker default look, but I would like if there was more consistency between the look of the arrange page and the mixconsole.(but that’s probably a discussion for a different topic lol)

I personally like it but of course a preference would suit both camps.

fair enough.
single (white) line cursor with customisable width would be my preference

The old (v6) cursor was a single black line I believe.

Isn’t the current trend of dark screens also a result of trying to save battery life on portable devices?

Maybe… i personally not against the dark GUI but the poor contrast of elements and text and numbers values in MC and some areas in Editors(,like midi controller lane text is hard to read cuz its gray on gray thing in key editor for example )

Well, I am.

Is cool to look at ? sure

Can a job be done with it ? hardly. as Paul White said :

"The official reasoning seems to be that darker screens are more restful on the eyes, which is why much of the text has been changed from simple black or white to various shades of grey.
If restful means ‘increases the urge to fall asleep because your visual cortex is overheating’> , then they may well be right, but > it’s not especially useful if you actually need to get any work done> .

And I say : !!!

At least steinberg should supply us with the opportunity to go back to Cubase 6 mode, color wise.

At least.
(that is : ONE click, and ALL colors shift to those that one can find on Cubase 6’s default state)

I’ve given up hope that the mix debacle would get any better, ie. look much more like a normal mixer and not like a cartoon.

i said im not against it in general… i dont like it that much either, i think steiny should give an option of more color settings in MC. i dont like the GUI design as it looks toysh to me and for some others users to, i hope they improve it. but workflow and usability wise regarding colors whats not helping me most is the lack of contrast.
(other hidden info and hidden buttons etc, is another topic)

Yes - and even that was far, far better than what we have now; which is a horrible, ugly, flickering nonsense. I refuse to believe that SB devs themselves actually think its a better design.

No other modern DAW does/would allow this.

So, I give +1 for single-line cursor (and more options/customisation throughout the UI ‘look’ - as requested by others, and Paul White)

I share the EXACT same thoughts.

And when I look around me, and read about users… analyzing their ages and preferences… I’m come to the exact same conclusions.

EDIT : DUP

well im sorry to stick a spanner in the works but im 48 and I do like the direction the mixer is heading , as I say , it’s not perfect ,there are loads of things to iron out but generally I think it is a good concept .
The flickering cursor is annoying but no show stopper ,actually there are no show stoppers , I believe in the course of c7 the mixer will take great shape :wink:

As for the cursor UI change in windows (the mac cursors have looked like this for a long time) I was told that the graphics code libraries that where used with the old XOR cursor is no longer maintained and simply could not be used any more, otherwise they could not support newer versions of OS’es.
So there was a really important hard reason to change. If it changed into something better or worse is in the eye of the beholder.

Hmm… ok, thanks for the insight Erik; interesting - I’d not known this…

So, I’m presuming then, that you Mac folk are ok with cursor behavior (you’ve known no different). But, tell me, is it at all ugly and flickering for you, especially when zoomed in a bit…? I see the change as marked between C6.x and C7 over here on Windows…
(just to clearify, you reckon they have taken the Mac code (“…cursors have always looked like this…”) and stuffed it into Windows, as their ‘solution’ to what you describe…?)

From reading this thread one might get the impression that its NOT possible to customize the colors and brightness/darkness of Cubase… smh :laughing:

i personally like it but i do find it sometimes suffers from re-draw problems, which may or may not be related to the graphics driver.