OS X 10.9 Mavericks and Cubase 7

The feedback is appreciated. I will be holding off and sticking to 10.8.5 for a number of weeks until a few things are ironed out. Can’t jump in while in the middle of big projects.

I do know on one of my non-critical Macs I did the 10.9 upgrade and almost everything I’ve thrown at it has worked alright (Logic X, Pro Tools 10 & 11, SoundMiner, etc.) but have not tested Cubase.

However, what is known so far is that all Steinberg software products (except for Cubase LE / AI / Elements 7.0.6) are affected by an issue with the CoreAudio2ASIO component when using audio hardware in class-compliant mode which may lead to dangerous digital noise.

Having experienced this noise blast several time while playing around with Control Room in C7, this warning should not be taken lightly. Instant hearing loss and potential speaker damage. Don’t say you weren’t warned.

:exclamation:

They’ve finally done it… Cubase has been weaponized. :astonished:

Aloha guys and thanks for these reports.

Can’t update just yet because of a couple of on-going projects.
Looking forward tho’
{‘-’}

This along with Cubase’s new NSA plugin in 7.5 will be awesome.

on a side note Steffan, I work on many of the shows you compose for from Hasbro. On the audio and video side…Small world man!

Good work BTW!

From Steinberg: “*In case you are using Cubase 7 and want to update to OS X 10.9 anyway, please make sure to deactivate the “Display have separate Spaces” option in the Mission Control Preferences.”

I’m still on 10.8.5, but when I look at my Mission Control Prefs there is no “Display have separate Spaces” option. Perhaps the options are different in Mavericks??

Sorry for a possibly dumb question, but does this imply that using a “working” (e.g. not fully supported) version of Cubase under Mavericks with NO class-compliant audio hardware connected (e.g. the Mac’s own internal audio interface) should be safe?

I’m using an antediluvian CB Studio 5.5 which is doing just fine right now, but obviously I don feel confident enough to just let it run.

Thanks in advance.

That’s because it’s new to 10.9 :wink:

Thanks, Steve. That’s what I was guessing when I wrote “Perhaps the options are different in Mavericks??” :slight_smile:

Yeah its one of the bigger additions they made to O SX.
Better multi monitor support.

Personally I only use one screen and make use of the virtual desktops and a trackpad, one for the mixer and one for the project window.
I haven’t and continue to not have any issues worth noting.
The control room bug sound disturbing though, I’ll make sure I don’t touch that!

Had my first full on crash today.
Had a project open for around 8 hours today and suddenly I got a white screen and some text saying the Mac has crashed.
It rebooted.
Loaded up cubase but Cubase crashed every single time I tried to “open file…”
It would crash as soon as I opened my self made directory “Cubase Projects”
I tried it a few times, crash crash crash.
In the end I think I just found the project file and double clicked it and got in that way.

I had to turn on and off the UR28M as I think it crashed and wasn’t being recognised.
Infact it was in the device list under Yamaha something…

The crash happened when I was switching the device driver over from UR28M to Built In Audio on my iMac.
I did have a deactivated and turned off DSP effect on one channel and thought that might have been the cause.

Are you using 32bit Cubase? A white screen is a symptom of low memory.

Aloha H,
and mahalo for the report.

We need to know the ‘good and the bad’ when major new stuff arrives.
That way we can figure the probs and keep moving forward.

Thanks again for the info.
{‘-’}

Thought I’d chime in that I’ve been running Cubase 7.0.6 64-bit on a guinea pig Mac Mini upgraded to Mavericks. Cubase seemed to run without a hitch the first day or two. But after some days have passed and a few reboots later, I am getting Cubase crashing on launch. However the second time you launch it, it seems to run OK but you will get the “Searching for Video Service” window. If you cancel out of it, sequences seem to run fine but I don’t run video in my sequences so I don’t know what impact it would have otherwise.

I’m using an Apogee Ensemble with updated Mavericks drivers, and I think these crashes have been been possibly related to the drivers.

@ orchetec:

I just updated to Mavericks on a separated partition so I could test it. I have a similar setup like you (so Cubase 7 .0.6 64 bit & Apogee Ensemble with latest driver). I do experience poor audio quality when I play an audio file from the finder. The sound is very thin as the bass seems to be completely gone. I did not have the time to install Cubase and all plugins as I just updated to Mavericks, but I want to know if you experience the same issue when playing an audio file from the finder (select a file and press the spacebar). If so, does the same issue occur in Cubase?

Thanks for your answer!

@ benitom25:

The behaviour you describe when playing an audio file from the finder seems to be a bug in Mavericks. In the Metric Halo mailing list (the company that makes the MIO audio interfaces) one of the developers wrote the following:

In addition, on Mac OS X 10.9 (Mavericks), Metric Halo is aware of the following issues:

The Finder and QuickTime Player in Mac OS 10.9 play mono files as silence when playing to a MIO. You can work around this by using other apps to play this kind of content. We believe that this is a bug in Mac OS X and have reported it to Apple.

QuickTime Player and Safari in Mac OS 10.9 play stereo files and HTML5 audio with sputtering dropouts when playing to a MIO. You can work around this by using other apps to play this kind of content (e.g. Chrome or FireFox). We believe that this is a bug in Mac OS X and have reported it to Apple.

As these issues currently appear to be bugs in Mac OS X, we do not know when they will be resolved.

Let’s hope that Apple will fix these bugs.

@ parnasso:

Thnx for the info! So it seems like this bug won’t affect Cubase. I will install Cubase and my plug-ins this weekend and see what happens! And indeed, hope Apple Will fix this very soon.

Cheers,

Benito

I am getting tired of waiting four this update to make Cubase compatible. Surly the team at Steinberg must have been given a heads up by Apple?
How much longer do we have to wait?

Me too. i did upgrade but had to use Time Machine to go back to 10.8.5 as my mr816 would not work properly.

come on steiny

Cubase 7.06 has been little unstable for me on both 10.8.5 and 10.9, i think this is a Cubase prob since it has been rock solid for me up to 7.05. however, i had to reinstall Mavericks on my mac pro, because of system slowdowns, wifi probs etc. Its running fine again now after a clean install.

Im well aware steinberg dont recommend installing cubase as of now, - i am between projects, and wanted to try. I dont feel theres much speed increase or better cpu performance anywhere, but it doesnt feel slower also. Im looking forward to the updates on both Cubase and Mavericks.

About me, im not very active in the forum, but i been using Cubase since version 1.02 on the Atari.