KeyCommand Utility - Now Testing Mac Support

JMCecil,

I’m on Mac, and want to have this too. I run a Virtual Box install of windows xp and have succeeded in creating an html file from my key commands xml file by editing a few lines in the .vbs file.

The problem is that there is one more modifier key available on Mac than on PC, so I need to create more columns, which I was able to do, and parse the corresponding commands into them, which I was not.

I fiddled with the array statements, but don’t have enough Basic knowledge to make this happen. I was hoping I am missing something that would help me.

Anywho, PM me if this is too much for a forum post, and thanks for your work on the original.

yeah, its tough because the variable and array setup he has is more the “geterdone” variety. Very hard to follow. I tried re-ordering the columns and failed miserably. But, I think the code you are looking for is in the case statements where he sets “kn” values for parsing in the loops.

Thanks. I’ll have another go at it.

@SteveInChicago, did you ever get it working on mac?

No, I could never reverse engineer the VB parsing script to implement that column for the extra modifier key.

Mac: shift, ctrl, opt, cmd
Win: shift, ctrl, alt

If this were redone in javascript instead of Visual Basic it could work on both platforms. It requires more advanced scripting than I am familiar with currently, though I might have another go at at at some point.

Hmm let me think about doing a js version. Someone else has asked me for a Mac version. I just stayed so swamped these days.

That would be great.

I played with this this morning, but javascript doesn’t easily support the access to local files. I found a way to do it with ActiveX and other custom solutions, but none of them are cross platform, cross browser compatible. I think perl or python might be easier to make cross platform.

Wonderful, thank you, that’s pinned to my taskbar.

would someone please pm me their keycommands.xml file. I want to work on the perl script, but I’m on the road and didn’t bring it with me. grrrr … dumbass mode engaged.

pm sent. Thanks!

got it!

If you’re working on a new version, how easy would it be to keep the column headers visible when scrolling down?

I’ll look at that if I can get it to parse in perl. I’m not sure if there is a control in HTML5 for that or not.

and it would be great to allow better customisation to separate style and data in the html result by using css

Great utility btw

SeeWhat

I was thinking frames but I may be way out of date with that

As far as I know iFrames don’t work that way, they scroll with the rest of the page. You can control visibility and stuff like that, but I don’t think you can have a split page. But, it’s been awhile for me too. So, that setting may be there.

Just been for a dig in the old machine and this is what I was talking about:

The headings go in title.htm, the rest in text.htm which will be scrollable. Could be deprecated by now for all I know. Anyway, that’s was the idea. Hope it helps. Cheers, C

It’s easy enough to try. I’ll give it a go when I get done with the parsing.

It works by the way, but there is a problem keeping the column widths in synch when the keymap updates. I didn’t want to hardwire the widths, but I’ll play with it some.

I’ve just got to get the key/value pair loop working. I get weird results from the pair pull right now. But, I’m sure it’s just a syntax foobar on my part. So, I’m fairly close. Can’t work on it today/tonight. Maybe I’ll have something this weekend.

Just an FYI, this is going to be in Perl, so you have to have perl installed to run the script.