Cubase can't find any IK Multimedia in my old projects

Everything else...

Cubase can't find any IK Multimedia in my old projects

Postby chicago » Sun Nov 03, 2013 11:47 pm

I'm using Windows 7 and Cubase. I recently moved my studio from a Mac setup and added T-RackS as I did so to try to simply things. When opening up projects made just before the move, neither SampleTank nor any rack plug can be located. All come up as "Missing" as the older project opens. All the IK Multimedia programs can be seen in new projects in the usual locations. I'm not sure how to reroute the old projects, or where to put all the IK Multimedia files so that all of my projects can read them. I would really hate to have to redo the instruments, plug-ins and all the settings on 30 songs. All the software is the most current version: Cubase, SampleTank, PhilharmoniK, and plug-ins (CSR Hall, Brickwall limiter, Classic MBand Limiter, etc). Any help would be appreciated! Thanks, greg
chicago

Re: Cubase can't find any IK Multimedia in my old projects

Postby curteye » Mon Nov 04, 2013 4:32 am

Aloha c
I am a Ik fanboi from way back. I love their stuff.

I'm using Windows 7 and Cubase. I recently moved my studio from a Mac

Just wondering did you have to download PC versions of the Ik gear
or are the Mac versions supposed to work 'cross platform' ?

I've never tried that.
{'-'}
If yer gear ain't breakin down, you aint workin' much.

iMac i7 2.8Gz 16GB 10.9...../C5.5/6.5/7.5
Mbook 2.4Gz 4GB 10.7.5.../C5.5/6.5/7.5
Mac Pro w/3 4k monitors.
On-line in Jan 2015

On the side of a volcano in the middle of the Pacific Ocean.
curteye
Grand Senior Member

Postby Weasel » Mon Nov 04, 2013 8:15 pm

Sampletank historically has a nasty habit of not recognizing itself once its been updated. This means even though the updated plugin has the exact same name as the original (SampleTank2.x.vst for instance), Cubase will list it as "missing" after an update.

Your only recourse is to launch the original version on the original operating system and see what exactly you used with it and then reset it by hand in the migrated installation.

I have been burned so many times by this, I got in the habit of naming the tracks that use Sampletank with the names of the patches...so I have a clue as to what sound to reset them to when I have to reload the "missing" version of Sampletank. Then, it's a guess as to what tweaks I might have done...but at least I have the correct general sound to start with....which is the biggest hurdle.

One last thing this is an IK issue...not a Cubase issue. I have had the same issue in Studio One after updating the Sampletank plugin.
QuadCore 2.66 Nehalem w/8gbRAM - OSX 10.6.8 /10.8.5- C7.5.1/C6.5.5 - MOTU 424e/2804MkIII - PODxt - 2-MIDI Express 128's --- DualCore 2.8 iMac w/4gbRAM OSX 10.6.8 - C7.5.1/C6.5.5 - MOTU/ULmk3 --- D8B/V5.1 - GenX192

Oh.....so this is the Cornfield?....
Weasel

Postby chicago » Wed Nov 06, 2013 12:41 am

Curteye: Thanks for asking. I did have to download all new PC versions of IKM products expect for the "Sounds" or "Intruments" in SampleTank. I took a few tries on where to relocate them, but did get them to all work on the PC. It worked best to download the new plug-in, open it, then let it guide you throught the authorization process than totry to authorize from the "My Products" area. I still don't know what advantage the new T-RackS software offers, but it now shows up on the inserts list.

The migration from Mac to PC was made necessary due to the release of new software that my old Mac Pro just couldn't do. The CPU couldn't upgrade to Lion and Cubase 7 isn't fully compatible with Snow Lepeoard. The will-be-released-someday new Mac Pro looks like it will cost at lease twice as much as a realy great PC music production setup did. Maybe if you do a lot of video production, the Mac will be a good investment.

Weasel: Thanks for your help. Dealing with IKM during this change has really made me appreciate the Waves software I have, and got me to look at other vendors such as TuneTracks Superior Drummer. I was hoping there was a way to go into Cubase and point it toward the "new" SampleTank and plug-ins when the old ones went MIA. There was a similar feature when the whole track went missing where Cubase would search for likely locations and allow you to point to the new track file. If you have any ideas on this, I'm open to suggestion. It will take weeks to set every song back up and weeks more to tweak the instruments and plug-ins back to something that resembles the original mix.
chicago

Postby Fabio Bartolini » Wed Nov 06, 2013 9:21 am

Hello,

just to add to what have been said.

If you had T-RackS 3 in the old projects and now have installed T-RackS CS (v4), then those plug-ins have a different ID, so the instances where you have used v3 won't be automatically replaced by the v4 versions.

Both versions can be installed on the same system to allow backwards compatibility though.

Kind regards,
Fabio Bartolini, Steinberg Tech Support
Steinberg Media Technologies GmbH
Hamburg, Germany

Check out Steinberg on YouTube, Twitter and Facebook!
Fabio Bartolini

Postby chicago » Sat Jun 28, 2014 7:24 pm

After speaking with support through many email messages, I have given up on getting any IK multimedia product to integrate into all my years of previous work. If you are unfortunate enough to update you computer system, and therefore you DAW software, DO NOT expect IK Mutimedia to be able to follow these changes. You will need to go into every song, reassign sounds and processors along with all of the tweaks that you have made to make them work within that songs. NOTHING will transfer. Despite the fact that I have A LOT of IK Multimedia products, I have begun to replace them with products that are, hopefully, made by companies that respect the time and monetary commitment made to them by their customers.
chicago

Postby curteye » Sun Jun 29, 2014 1:22 am

Aloha guys,

ST3 is now just days away from release.

All 64 bit. Should work fine with most systems.

Have it on order and will report back here.
{'-'}
If yer gear ain't breakin down, you aint workin' much.

iMac i7 2.8Gz 16GB 10.9...../C5.5/6.5/7.5
Mbook 2.4Gz 4GB 10.7.5.../C5.5/6.5/7.5
Mac Pro w/3 4k monitors.
On-line in Jan 2015

On the side of a volcano in the middle of the Pacific Ocean.
curteye
Grand Senior Member

Return to Miscellaneous