Audio & midi not lining up

I just want to say thank you all for the help :slight_smile: I appreciate it. I don’t post here often. I am experienced with this type of software and have never had this issue before, even on cubase, which is why I’m baffled

Try the loop test with audio. I suspect it might need the same tweak and then you can just leave it on.

I think the problem is the interface not telling cubase the correct latency rather than a bug.

Tried the audio loop test; the audio latency seems fine. For a loop back I expected some latency and thats what i got.

Heres a screen cap of the test I just did: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/3657402/cubasemidiissue3.jpg

All tracks to be looked at are solo’d
Track 1: This is the audio recorded with no sample offset. The audio is being produced by my korg kronos which is making sound via notes being sent by midi via cubase connect to my kronos via USB. This is the original issue.
Track 2: Same as above, with a sample offset of 364
Track 3: This is the audio loop test. I send track 2 back into an input of my interface and retested. I got a very minor amount of latency and this is expected.

The only explanation is that Cubase is sending wonky midi out. To further make things weird, this is what I found in the midi loop test (midi ports on my MOTU being looped back into each other):
I sent chords. The chords each had 3 notes that started perfectly on grid. I gave the playback an extra 2 bars so it wasn’t abrupt, and when the chords were recorded, the notes weren’t together (auto quantize was off) as they should have been. If it was just late, that would lead me to believe that yes it’s just a latency issue… but the notes weren’t even together…

I think the problem is the interface not telling cubase the correct latency rather than a bug.

Is there a way for it to communicate better wth my interface? My interface is one of those that has better compatibility with cubase apparently… so I’m hard pressed to believe that my interface wouldn’t work rather seamlessly with cubase (protools and my motu hated each other however).

I’d say that it’s pretty clear that this is latency issue. All digital equipment introduces a measure of latency.

Cubase has good features to compensate for this, though. With plug-ins this is handled automatically, but with external a more hands-on approach is required to “teach” Cubase about the latency characteristics of your keyboard/soundmodule. Refer to pages 264-265 in the Cubase 7 pdf manual for an explanation about this.

One thing though. You will never be able to compensate for latency in real time (that’s what zero-latency audio interfaces are all about). At least not until someone invents a keyboard that can predict the future.

I did heed your advice and unfortunately it did not solve the issue I am looking to resolve.
I am doing direct monitoring via my interfaces external software, not through cubase. I am using -0- plugins

Thanks again for all of your help. if there is anything else I can do for you guys to further help me, please let me know!

Thanks

• Rob