Autofreeze (a serious request, please consider)

All feature requests and suggestions for upcoming releases of Cubase 7 and Cubase Artist 7 can be posted here.

Autofreeze (a serious request, please consider)

Postby TheNavigator » Tue Nov 05, 2013 4:04 pm

This is so simple that I don't understand why it wasn't implemented in the first version of Cubase VST. :x

TL;DR:

* Process all tracks in background (automatic freeze!), unfreeze and put into "online" - processing only (!!) when something significant for this track has changed

Result:

ZERO CPU load. As in "0.0". Because calculations are only performed, when necessary.

We could get 200 instances of u-he DIVA (divine mode) with a 2caudio B2 reverb on each track in Dual Mode in highest quality mode at 64 samples ASIO buffer size with that.

And long latency plugins wouldn't matter much anymore either.

Seriously. GIVE THAT TO US!!
Chris, The Navigator... Keyboards, songwriting, CTO and aspiring coproducer for Visions of Atlantis.

PC watercooling and overclocking afficionado.

Main device: Cubase 7.5 64 bit on Windows 8.1 (4930k @ 4.1 GHz, 32 GB of RAM, 3 SSDs), Halion 5, Padshop Pro, RME Hammerfall DSP + Multiface, Avid Artist Control V2, Roland A88, AKG K701 headphones, lots of other nice stuff
Mobile cutlery: iPad Air 2, Cubasis (always the latest version), Audio Bus 2, Focusrite iTrack Dock, one or the other cheap USB MIDI keyboards

Favorite synthesizers: u-he DIVA, Padshop Pro, Halion 5

"Storms can't kill the faith in rainbows"
TheNavigator

Re: Autofreeze (a serious request, please consider)

Postby TheNavigator » Wed Nov 06, 2013 11:02 am

*bump*

Since this FR is ignored... is no one here, except me, aware of what an extreme improvement this single feature would be?

An infinite amount of high end instruments and plugins, etc...?

No? :?
Chris, The Navigator... Keyboards, songwriting, CTO and aspiring coproducer for Visions of Atlantis.

Main device: Cubase 7.5 64 bit on Windows 8.1 (4930k @ 4.1 GHz, 32 GB of RAM, 3 SSDs), Halion 5, Padshop Pro, RME Hammerfall DSP + Multiface, Avid Artist Control V2, Roland A88, AKG K701 headphones, lots of other nice stuff
Mobile cutlery: iPad Air 2, Cubasis (always the latest version), Audio Bus 2, Focusrite iTrack Dock, one or the other cheap USB MIDI keyboards

TheNavigator

Postby jaslan » Wed Nov 06, 2013 4:14 pm

The performance improvement is due to the freeze itself, not the fact that it happens automatically.
Personally, I would prefer to control it myself.

Say I am going to enter 200 MIDI notes. Isn't it actually wasting resouces if it continually, automatically "renders" the result throughout the process? Why not just wait until I am finished and do the render once? There are many cases of these types of automatic features (in all types of software) where the computer "thinks" it knows what I want or how best to do it.

If I could turn it off, by way of preference, then perhaps...
There could be some improvements to the freeze function, such as a batch freeze, which is another topic and already been requested and discussed.
Core-i7 2820QM, 16GB RAM. Cubase 6.5.5 x64 on Windows 7. Scarlett 2i2. M-Audio Axiom Pro 61. Komplete 8. HALion 5. Jamstix 3.5. HSO VST Sound Set. Absolute VST+. 418 Carrier Landings.
SoundCloud
jaslan

Postby TheNavigator » Wed Nov 06, 2013 4:16 pm

Thats too short sighted, thats not what I proposed.

I proposed an absolutely transparent process, the user doesn't even notice that something has been frozen. The very moment you change anything, processing is live again.

But I hate the super inefficient waste of CPU power to calculate the same thing over, over and then 10000x over again, even if nothing changed.

I want to use those CPU cycles for more instances of the DIVA and B2.

TheNavigator

Postby jaslan » Wed Nov 06, 2013 4:23 pm

TheNavigator wrote:an absolutely transparent process

So, instantly and without using any resources. Magic then?
Core-i7 2820QM, 16GB RAM. Cubase 6.5.5 x64 on Windows 7. Scarlett 2i2. M-Audio Axiom Pro 61. Komplete 8. HALion 5. Jamstix 3.5. HSO VST Sound Set. Absolute VST+. 418 Carrier Landings.
SoundCloud
jaslan

Postby TheNavigator » Wed Nov 06, 2013 4:26 pm

jaslan wrote:
TheNavigator wrote:an absolutely transparent process

So, instantly and without using any resources. Magic then?

No, it is calculated while being played back for the first time - OR while Cubase is idling OR with the remaining CPU cycles while Cubase is playing back. What is so hard to understand about that?

Example:

I have 8 tracks running, one of them is marked internally as "dirty".

Whatever I'm doing, Cubase will aim to calculate the audio stream for the "dirty" track by whatever means necessary so it can be played back from a temporary wave file.

While it is dirty, it is calculated "on the fly", whatever is calculated "on the fly" MAY be used as the pre - rendered playback track for later (but this may not be possible because of inter - buffer - dependencies... but there may be ways to resolve even THIS problem).

Sidechains, groups and sends are also possible, btw, via "dirty flag propagation", parallel to the audio processing.

You are talking to a senior software architect here - and let me tell you that I KNOW what I'm talking about.

No need to try to make fun of me and / or my idea ("magic"). This would be very helpful for everyone, and I can even SHOW that it is possible to implement it.

(On a sidenote: it is actually quite a simple implementation, IF the architecture of Cubase follows generally accepted design principles, such as "separation of concerns"...)

TheNavigator

Postby SteveInChicago » Wed Nov 06, 2013 4:35 pm

I imagine Cubase is already doing stuff in the background, and that the devs have to do a balancing act regarding features that use idle time and non idle time processing. (and support the lowest common denominator of CPU power)

If they haven't added something like this yet maybe it's because CPU load required to make the feature work fast enough to be useful, would be too high.
Cubase 7.5.20 | Mac 10.8.5 | i7-3770k Gigabyte Z77-UD5H | 16gb | TC Konnekt24D
SteveInChicago
External Moderator

Postby TheNavigator » Wed Nov 06, 2013 4:37 pm

SteveInChicago wrote:I imagine Cubase is already doing stuff in the background, and that the devs have to do a balancing act regarding features that use idle time and non idle time processing.

If they haven't added something like this yet maybe it's because CPU load required to make the feature work fast enough to be useful, would be too high.

No, it's just that people don't care enough or "can't imagine it working", like jaslan. And the architecture may not yet have full "exchange VST chain with simple stream playback" capability (something I usually solve via introduction of parameterized / named dependency injection*).

There is no tradeoff involved at all. If there is no CPU power left, no background recalculations happen.

When my Cubase is at 90% ASIO, I'm barely scratching 35% CPU. So 65% CPU left for "recalculating dirty tracks".

* Works like this:

If I designed a DAW, there would be an interface, say, IPlaybackChannel.

Two implementations:

OfflinePlaybackChannel and
OnlinePlaybackChannel

Every mixer track (MixerChannel -> IPlaybackChannel) is, as I stated in my fake UML ( :-P ) dependent on it's playback channel, which can be, via method call, exchanged. Example in C# (my language of choice):

public sealed class MixerChannel : IMixerChannel
{
// yada yada

private IPlaybackChannel m_PlaybackChannel;

public void SetPlaybackChannel(IPlaybackChannel playbackChannel)
{
this.m_PlaybackChannel = playbackChannel;
}
}

TheNavigator

Postby SteveInChicago » Wed Nov 06, 2013 4:47 pm

Well, your post is beyond my comprehension as a layman, so +1 for the concept.
Cubase 7.5.20 | Mac 10.8.5 | i7-3770k Gigabyte Z77-UD5H | 16gb | TC Konnekt24D
SteveInChicago
External Moderator

Postby TheNavigator » Wed Nov 06, 2013 4:50 pm

SteveInChicago wrote:Well, your post is beyond my comprehension as a layman, so +1 for the concept.

I'm doing software architecture for, hm, 13 years now. Actually designing this part of a DAW is not even really hard to do. The hard stuff is the DSP part, because this is what is beyond MY comprehension (I have no clue how to make a filter, to start with).

But creating an exchangeable, automatically precalculating playback facility? Actually, in terms of complexity, this is a joke. I really wonder why this is not commonplace amongst DAWs already.

The first DAW who offers this feature will reap money like crazy, because this feature means having 1000x the CPU power at hand you have now. Or more.

TheNavigator

Postby jaslan » Wed Nov 06, 2013 4:51 pm

TheNavigator wrote:No, it is calculated while being played back for the first time - OR while Cubase is idling OR with the remaining CPU cycles while Cubase is playing back. What is so hard to understand about that?

You didn't say this before. It is not truly automatic then. It is triggered by an event (pressing play, sort of like the event of clicking on the freeze button). I actually do like the idea a little better now. It is simply saving the last "result". However, there are things to think about. Now, it has to write or store to memory the resultant audio clips WHILE PLAYING, which requires resources. What if you stop play in the middle? What if you are playing little 2 second bits from all over the track? All of these "dirty flags" will be very difficult to keep track of. If it can truly be done TRANSPARENTLY then sure. I will believe it when I see it. Until then, I prefer to trigger the freezing of the entire track when I am done editing it.
TheNavigator wrote:You are talking to a senior software architect here - and let me tell you that I KNOW what I'm talking about.

There are many very intelligent users in here. Please don't presume to KNOW what is best for the rest of us. Let us speak for ourselves.
TheNavigator wrote:No need to try to make fun of me and / or my idea ("magic").

Not making fun... Seriously, is there really any absolute transparency?
SoundCloud
jaslan

Postby TheNavigator » Wed Nov 06, 2013 4:58 pm

Calculations can continue while playback is NOT running.

Actually I even think that the calculations should be an ongoing process, with having playback results reused only being optional.

It doesn't matter if you hear a plugin calculation or not - the calculation result is the same.

So:

You play back, you work, as normal, but Cubase would simply try to precalculate as much as possible to free CPU resources for you, so you can add tracks, plugins, etc... thereby even using the 65% of CPU I can't use because my ASIO is already at 90%. But this wouldn't matter here, the precalculations can be done with a super large VST buffer of, hm, 8192 samples.

No need for manual freezing anymore, because "frozen" would be the normal state of a track, with "unfrozen" (I call it "dirty" here) being the exception and a temporary state which Cubase tries to get rid of as soon as possible again.

TheNavigator

Postby jaslan » Wed Nov 06, 2013 5:32 pm

I will +1 this if you can promise me the following scenario doesn't happen...

I have an MIDI track, say a piano. I am "tweaking" the note on and note off points of about 20 notes in a portion of the song. I need to keep starting and stopping the play to hear if my note "lines up" with the other instruments. I am also adjusting the velocity of these notes. This is an extended process that is probably 50 very small edits in timing and velocity. Now... I don't want to be slowed down at all during this process. Maybe I make one edit and press play. Then, quickly I make another edit and press play again but there is a delay in starting (or perhaps I get crackles and pops) because Cubase is still calculating the REST of the track (which is pointless because I have already made another edit).
As an (admittedly egaggerated) example imagine an autosave in a word processor after EVERY keystroke (with a large document).
Also, I don't want any aditionall corruption of projects or crashing due to all these dirty flags, incomplete fragments of audio clips that weren't completed before another edit occurred, etc.

IF this can all be done then I will +1 this feature. Otherwise, It is no big deal for me to click on freeze when I am done with a track.

Again, I am not against your idea. I just don't want it unless it is, as you said, transparent and won't frustrate me in instances like that described above.
SoundCloud
jaslan

Postby TheNavigator » Wed Nov 06, 2013 5:42 pm

No problem, because, as long as the track is "dirty", it is rendered in realtime, like (wastefully) now.

Only if there is a non - dirty version of your track available, this is used. With the smalles edit you make, the next buffer that is requested by the playback engine will be calculated in realtime again.

Of course this is one of the scenarios I had in mind all the time, this is basic stuff.

If I may add:

There even may be some interaction like "only release dirty tracks for precalculation after 10 seconds without any change" or something. I wouldn't necessarily connect that to the GUI, because I also keep editors open at times to see whats happening (when listening to MIDI drums and similar things).

TheNavigator

Postby Patanjali » Mon Nov 11, 2013 10:44 am

I have reservations about 'automatic' and 'transparent', though it would be the ideal way to do it.

It reminds me of garbage collection in Java, where while it is supposed to happen 'in the background', there are short periods where resources are hogged while it tries to complete its task. Higher priority tasks then have short delays where there are not enough resources for them to do theirs.

With audio, the datasets are massive and rendering is a time consuming process, so one does not want to be suddenly confronted with workflow holdups while an already initiated process completes.

When we did our first CD in 2003-2004, our computer was a single core AMD and was definitely not up to the task. We used a plugin called FX-Freeze. The developer, a Russian called Max, originally designed it as a VST instrument freeze, but it would also freeze any VSTs inserted up to it. I suggested that he make a version that just froze everything before it. With that new plugin, and careful planning, we got through our CD.

[Some may remember the VEPro Ethernet audio routing precursor, FX-Teleport. It was by Max as well.]

The original FX-Freeze automatically disabled the VSTi and the preceding VSTs on the channel, but did not do anything about channels that fed a group that FX-Freeze was inserted in. I had to plan carefully and remember to rigorously disable feed-in channels for groups and FX. It was tedious!

Management of what is frozen and/or disabled is critical to any freezing system. If one has been relying on freezing to free up resources to enable working on other parts, editing something early in a mixing chain could trigger a whole lot of unfreezing leading to such a huge CPU requirement that the system would hang or crash. Basically, the system would have to be able to handle almost the fully load anyway, which would tend to undermine the need for a full freezing system.

If you ponder the intricacies of how to design a plugin delays compensation (PDC) scheme, imagine the headaches with getting a freezing scheme right. Some wanted the Cubase PDC system to allow loops. How would freezing be managed in a loop? What about sends and side-chains?

Then there is the question of how to automatically determine when editing has completed, that jaslan and TheNavigator discuss. Any automatic system would definitely require hidden 'dirty' flags, as TheNavigator mentions, as part of its management tools.

Such a scheme would definitely require a lot of clear thinking and thorough workflow analysis. I am not sure whether I would trust that all the ground work would be done thoroughly enough to rely on a first-gen fully auto-freeze system.

However, to get going, and to give some sort of control of when to users, I suggest a 'deep' Save mode, where all tracks are fully rendered and all but final outputs disabled. You could then work it into convenient times within one's workflow. ["Coffee break? Yes. I'll just initiate a Deep Save first."]

Also required are:
- determination of the method of triggering an unfreeze
- an easy means to select the scope of an unfreeze (such as leaving the targets of sends frozen)
- an indication of how much resources unfreezing up to the selected point would require (it would mostly know how much was required to render to that point).

In the meantime, does anyone know of if there is a 64bit FX-Freeze equivalent? The FX-Max forums are a ghost-town, with only the odd visitor and work-from-home trolling robots in attendance. Max had earlier had a serious enough illness to take a few months off, so it might have had something to do with the halt to things. Remind me that one person's efforts can help so many, but also that they can also disappear without a trace, except for the digital epitaphs they erected along their way.
Patanjali
Half of the folk music duo, DevaKnighT. Music available from CD Baby (MP3/FLAC) and the usual culprits. All recorded and processed on Cubase 7.x at 192k.
Comp: i7-4930K : Asus P9X79-E WS : 32GB : GV-N750OC-2GI : SSDx4+2 : UAD-2Q : Dell S2340Tx2 & Samsung 55" 4K.
HW: Nmn U87 Ai : JA251x2 : YRG : Korg padKontrol+uKEY2 : RME FF400+800 : M-Patch-2 : Tannoy Reveal Active+TS-12.
SW: Win 8.1 Pro 64 : Cubase 7.5.20 64 : iC Pro : RX3Adv : Ozone5Adv : Goliath/SO PP/Pianos/Gypsy : Sup.Drum 2.0 : AT7.
Patanjali

Postby TheNavigator » Mon Nov 11, 2013 12:04 pm

Yes, I had the .NET garbage collector in mind when I had the idea for the first time. ;-)

I think that the playback engine should really be implemented in such a way then that it is able to automatically select between the normal case ("frozen") and the "emergency case" ("calculated on the fly until a pre - calculated version is ready").

We all have multicore CPUs. Why not prioritize 3 of the 4 cores to emergency calculations and 1 core to autofreeze? :-)

TheNavigator

Return to Feature Requests and Suggestions