OS X 10.9 Mavericks and Cubase 7

Aloha H,
and mahalo for the report.

We need to know the ‘good and the bad’ when major new stuff arrives.
That way we can figure the probs and keep moving forward.

Thanks again for the info.
{‘-’}

Thought I’d chime in that I’ve been running Cubase 7.0.6 64-bit on a guinea pig Mac Mini upgraded to Mavericks. Cubase seemed to run without a hitch the first day or two. But after some days have passed and a few reboots later, I am getting Cubase crashing on launch. However the second time you launch it, it seems to run OK but you will get the “Searching for Video Service” window. If you cancel out of it, sequences seem to run fine but I don’t run video in my sequences so I don’t know what impact it would have otherwise.

I’m using an Apogee Ensemble with updated Mavericks drivers, and I think these crashes have been been possibly related to the drivers.

@ orchetec:

I just updated to Mavericks on a separated partition so I could test it. I have a similar setup like you (so Cubase 7 .0.6 64 bit & Apogee Ensemble with latest driver). I do experience poor audio quality when I play an audio file from the finder. The sound is very thin as the bass seems to be completely gone. I did not have the time to install Cubase and all plugins as I just updated to Mavericks, but I want to know if you experience the same issue when playing an audio file from the finder (select a file and press the spacebar). If so, does the same issue occur in Cubase?

Thanks for your answer!

@ benitom25:

The behaviour you describe when playing an audio file from the finder seems to be a bug in Mavericks. In the Metric Halo mailing list (the company that makes the MIO audio interfaces) one of the developers wrote the following:

In addition, on Mac OS X 10.9 (Mavericks), Metric Halo is aware of the following issues:

The Finder and QuickTime Player in Mac OS 10.9 play mono files as silence when playing to a MIO. You can work around this by using other apps to play this kind of content. We believe that this is a bug in Mac OS X and have reported it to Apple.

QuickTime Player and Safari in Mac OS 10.9 play stereo files and HTML5 audio with sputtering dropouts when playing to a MIO. You can work around this by using other apps to play this kind of content (e.g. Chrome or FireFox). We believe that this is a bug in Mac OS X and have reported it to Apple.

As these issues currently appear to be bugs in Mac OS X, we do not know when they will be resolved.

Let’s hope that Apple will fix these bugs.

@ parnasso:

Thnx for the info! So it seems like this bug won’t affect Cubase. I will install Cubase and my plug-ins this weekend and see what happens! And indeed, hope Apple Will fix this very soon.

Cheers,

Benito

I am getting tired of waiting four this update to make Cubase compatible. Surly the team at Steinberg must have been given a heads up by Apple?
How much longer do we have to wait?

Me too. i did upgrade but had to use Time Machine to go back to 10.8.5 as my mr816 would not work properly.

come on steiny

Cubase 7.06 has been little unstable for me on both 10.8.5 and 10.9, i think this is a Cubase prob since it has been rock solid for me up to 7.05. however, i had to reinstall Mavericks on my mac pro, because of system slowdowns, wifi probs etc. Its running fine again now after a clean install.

Im well aware steinberg dont recommend installing cubase as of now, - i am between projects, and wanted to try. I dont feel theres much speed increase or better cpu performance anywhere, but it doesnt feel slower also. Im looking forward to the updates on both Cubase and Mavericks.

About me, im not very active in the forum, but i been using Cubase since version 1.02 on the Atari.

Hi,

it seem that i have little problems so far with the 32 bit version of Cubase 7 with Mavericks.Some GUI plugins are really laggy. If i turn a knob on certain plugins, it’s very laggy (VST2 only. VST3 works)

With the 64 bit version, it’s instant crash. (it was not like this 2 days ago).

I removed all my plugins from all my folders to be sure it’s not a faulty plug but no, still crash.

Another person can try it in 32 bit just to see if it work?

*****EDIT: OK , just found that Automap from Novation seems to be the problem. I wrote to the service support.

I Can say the same thing ! i can’t use my audiobox soundcard , i have a very big digital noise whe i try to, please do something quickly !

Apparently no one knows the real cause of the problems when upgrading to Maverick, if it is Apple, Steinberg, drivers companies etc.

As an example I have received mail from Western Digital where they recommend that you wait to upgrade to Maverick because there may be a risk of losing data when using WD hard drives after upgrading to Maverick.

I see many conclusions on this page that may be based on a lots of “maybe”.

If you don’t feel safe to upgrade, then don’t upgrade but wait for the coming clearer statements.

Geez, I guess its good to register your products, because I have 2 WDs and I did not get this message. Imagine losing data and not knowing what happened.

Well, the guys over at the WaveLab camp has declared WL Maverick safe, so it ought to be a Cubase issue. On the other hand, I just did a very simple test. I Installed Mavericks, Cubase 7.0.6, WaveLab Elements 8.0.3 and my audiocard driver to a second harddrive. I then played a 50 minute album with iTunes, Cubase and WLE. Not a single drop-out, pop, crackle or dangerous noiseburst. Is there any more precise information about when these dangerous noiseburst are supposed to occur (normal playback or with specific actions taken)?

My next test will be to install Mavericks on a clone of my main drive, so I can see how other apps and plug-ins behave.

So I know Steinberg have said the following:

Some Steinberg hardware products need to be updated as well to ensure full compatibility with the new OS X version. We therefore recommend you not to upgrade to OS X 10.9 yet.*

But I just bought a new Mac Pro which comes with Mavericks out the box and recently purchased Cubase 7. So what do I do? Will this fix for Mavericks even be free or will I have to pay to upgrade the version of cubase I haven’t even been able to use yet? Do I return Cubase and get my money back? There is no sign of an official ETA from anywhere apart from “We are working on it”.

Some kind of indication would be good, at least that would eliminate the uncertainty.

Waiting on UPS for my Cubase 7… I’ll keep you guys informed how it goes, fingers crossed and toes too lol.

Yes I agree! I have two songs that I need to export for a CD project that crashes all the time!
It´s urgent. It´s a crash with a realtime plug export error in it.
Please Mr Steinberg hurry up! :slight_smile:

D

Its steinberg. Wavelab also affected by the digital noise. I only have one ear and after cubase did damage to that with mavericks, I then loaded a file in wavelab 8 demo and almost fell off my chair as it blasted my ear again. Its dangerous and it’s not a joke I am certain that if I wasn’t using a laptop speaker at the time I’d have more hearing loss now than I already have, then again, my tinnitus has been much worse since that happened. No other audio app in history is affected, I assume nuendo will have the same problem but I can’t confirm. I haven’t been able to use cubase at for a month now, and obviously I have completely lost any use of my wavelab demo. This has to be priority one to fix. Even avid have already released full compatibility with pro tools. Logic, ableton, studio one, dp, pt, all work properly. That shows you how non standard the steinberg mac osx asio implementation is, because they are the only apps affected. I am talking fact now, not fiction. A class compliant USB audio interface will hurt your ears and speakers in mavericks and cubase and wavelab. Please please be careful.

I’m new with Cubase… One problem I’m having is my midi keyboard is not in sync with the note I pressing. I heard no sound when I press a key.

something strange going on with the midi device setup too. one minute the midi learn is working the next its not ‘learning’ any messages at all.

weird.

I too am ‘chomping at the bit’ but c’mon guys.
It has not even been a month yet.

Patience. Don’t rush this.
Give them time to ‘get it right’
or there will be complaining about the ‘fix’.

One thing kinda worries me tho’.

Seems like we will be going thru this once a year now. :frowning:
{‘-’}