Steinberg's dongle alternative coming

General discussions on songwriting, mixing, music business and other music related topics.

Re: Steinberg's dongle alternative coming

Postby distante » Tue Nov 05, 2013 8:15 pm

Like I said before, I'm stupid #3. I don't dislike the dongle (It's even some kind of nice if you are in a really "pirated" kind of country like I am and say "I use my soft original").

But again (#3) please, steinberg, can you give us some kind of good constructed hardware??? or at least say "no, we don't want to invest in a better hardware because we also profit from broken dongles"

¬_¬
Hear and See "Corazón" a Rock Song made with Steinberg's UR824 and Cubase 7

Do you want to show your music or any audio work made with Cubase? fb.com/groups/Made.With.Cubase/

My Stuff:
UR824 and Cubase 7 on Windows 8.1 ( PC 64bits system / Core i7 3773K )
Scarlett 2i2 and Cubase 7 on Windows 8.1 ( Laptop 64bits system )
*Always the latest version avariable.
A bunch of Mics, Pres and Toys, Plugins and Heart
distante

Postby Makumbaria » Tue Nov 05, 2013 8:36 pm

distante wrote:It's even some kind of nice if you are in a really "pirated" kind of country like I am and say "I use my soft original".

Yeah! I know exactly what you mean!
Cubase 7.5.30 / 6.5.5 / CMC-TP/CH/AI/QC / Halion Sonic 1.6.3 / Padshop Pro 1.1.0 / HSO 1.0.1 / The Grand SE 3.1
Windows 7 Ultimate SP1 64 bits/ i7 3630QM / 2.4Ghz / 16 GB & i7 950 / 3.06Ghz / 8GB RAM / M-audio Fast Track Pro

Ivory II Italian Grand / Addictive drums & Keys / GPO / Alicia Keys Piano / Abbey Road Modern Drums / Ezdrummer / Sampletank / Miroslav Philharmonik CE / VSL / POD Farm / Amplitube / Kuassa Creme & One / TH2 / PSP Audioware / Nugen Audio Visualizer / Voxengo Redunoise / Slate Digital / Wave Arts / Waves V9 / Softube / Toneboosters EBULoudness
Makumbaria

Postby henceforth » Tue Nov 05, 2013 10:02 pm

SB would likely not "profit" from broken or abused dongles because when you navigate the forum history; we find that mostly they are replaced, license and all and losses are viewed as honest mistakes.
henceforth

Postby Early21 » Wed Nov 06, 2013 4:22 am

What techniques do people use to protect their dongles when they are on the road with Cubase? I have a laptop that I use to record the band, and I'm always worried that some clumsy band member (let's just say the bass player) bumps into the dongle and breaks it. I always thought that it would be very useful if laptop makers had a recessed USB port just below the keys. But short of that, what do people do? I have heard of using USB extender cables and then taping the dongle to the spot below the keyboard. Any other techniques?
Cubase 6.0, Wavelab 6 Essential, HP PE i7950/Win7, Lenovo T61 Laptop/WinXP/ADS Pyro Express Card, MR816CSX
My album Incontinental Breakfast at lborden.bandcamp.com
Early21

Postby TheNavigator » Wed Nov 06, 2013 6:55 am

Not using Cubase on the road, using software without dongles instead.

For our live set (in a few months) I will have a look at Cubase Elements. I only need it for the backings / the click track and for playing a few selected VSTis, so it should be ok.

Sadly, I also can't take Halion 5 with me. :-(
Chris, The Navigator... Keyboards, songwriting, CTO and aspiring coproducer for Visions of Atlantis.

PC watercooling and overclocking afficionado.

Main device: Cubase 7.5 64 bit on Windows 8.1 (4930k @ 4.1 GHz, 32 GB of RAM, 3 SSDs), Halion 5, Padshop Pro, RME Hammerfall DSP + Multiface, Avid Artist Control V2, Roland A88, AKG K701 headphones, lots of other nice stuff
Mobile cutlery: iPad Air 2, Cubasis (always the latest version), Audio Bus 2, Focusrite iTrack Dock, one or the other cheap USB MIDI keyboards

Favorite synthesizers: u-he DIVA, Padshop Pro, Halion 5

"Storms can't kill the faith in rainbows"
TheNavigator

Postby C.LYDE101 » Wed Nov 06, 2013 7:40 am

That's why I opted for NI and Studio One and Ableton Live..my money for live work is going elsewhere
C.LYDE101

Postby Ed Doll » Wed Nov 06, 2013 8:25 am

C.LYDE101 wrote:Eh... are we seriously talking about Waves being cracked, when every version of Cubase has been cracked since VST32..??... remember the parallel port dongle!!

Well, no. To my knowledge there is no fully functional crack available for Cubase 7. Some do start or even allow access to some extent but not a complete crack.
Ed Doll, Support Manager
Steinberg Media Technologies GmbH
Hamburg, Germany

Check out Steinberg on YouTube, Twitter and Facebook!
Ed Doll
Site Admin

Postby C.LYDE101 » Wed Nov 06, 2013 8:33 am

Ed, that's not the point, cracks come and go. My gripe is that the current scheme does not benefit the paying user in the way that competing OEMs have engineered. Their solutions are superior, from a user perspective IMO.

So the cracked version of 6.5 still does the rounds. ..? Then what ...blue dongles work? No.
Crack 7 becomes available in 3 months..then what? Bigger dongle?!
C.LYDE101

Postby RitchieM » Wed Nov 06, 2013 8:34 am

You boys must spend most of your time searching for that!!

In response to Clyde, that is exactly my issue with the current implementation, you buy a product then have to get another for a situation that is now common and other program's work with.

Forget the Waves plan, but the Reason one is still uncracked.
Software - C7.0.6, WL8.0.3, BFD2, Kontakt, More!
DAW - Win7 x64, SB i7, Gigabyte Mobo, 16GB RAM, Roland Octa-Capture, M-Audio ProjectMix I/O
Gear - '52 Tele, LP Studio, Jackson Stealth Pro, Taylor 314 LtdCE, Taylor 355, Mandolins, Controller Keyboards - M-Audio x 2
Monitors - Adam A7X
RitchieM

Postby Ed Doll » Wed Nov 06, 2013 8:52 am

I really don't want to jump into another crack discussion here. Our aim is to stick with copy protection and make that more convenient for our customers. Next to the things I mentioned, we are of course working on other long term options and solutions.
Ed Doll, Support Manager
Steinberg Media Technologies GmbH
Hamburg, Germany

Check out Steinberg on YouTube, Twitter and Facebook!
Ed Doll
Site Admin

Postby henceforth » Wed Nov 06, 2013 8:56 am

Cubase has not been compromised since version 5 (xp) and even then, not the supported version.
henceforth

Postby TheNavigator » Wed Nov 06, 2013 8:58 am

Ed Doll wrote:I really don't want to jump into another crack discussion here. Our aim is to stick with copy protection and make that more convenient for our customers. Next to the things I mentioned, we are of course working on other long term options and solutions.

Ok, then I will you what I need:

"Lease license for x hours."

With automatic return of the license to the original dongle.

My band and I would be VERY happy if that would be possible, because THIS would introduce Cubase to our rehearsals, our song writing sessions (when not done in my home studio here) and our live shows.

But carrying around about EUR 1.000,- in public transport is an absolute no - go here in Vienna.
Chris, The Navigator... Keyboards, songwriting, CTO and aspiring coproducer for Visions of Atlantis.

Main device: Cubase 7.5 64 bit on Windows 8.1 (4930k @ 4.1 GHz, 32 GB of RAM, 3 SSDs), Halion 5, Padshop Pro, RME Hammerfall DSP + Multiface, Avid Artist Control V2, Roland A88, AKG K701 headphones, lots of other nice stuff
Mobile cutlery: iPad Air 2, Cubasis (always the latest version), Audio Bus 2, Focusrite iTrack Dock, one or the other cheap USB MIDI keyboards

TheNavigator

Postby RitchieM » Wed Nov 06, 2013 9:12 am

I can only assume that the reason that this cannot be done at the moment is the way that the implimentation of the protection has taken place within the prog. Obviously, like most, I read from the crackers about how they beat C5, and as a non-programming type guy, I assume that its inherent strength and why it is has not been defeated also means that it is currently less flexible when it comes to licencing via alternatie methods.

I may be wrong , but isnt the Reason Ignition Key a Codemeter solution? Their system is still undefeated (the full implementation of it anyway), but I suppose its a different tech, and you guys have eLC and until it is re-coded, that is that.
DAW - Win7 x64, SB i7, Gigabyte Mobo, 16GB RAM, Roland Octa-Capture, M-Audio ProjectMix I/O
Gear - '52 Tele, LP Studio, Jackson Stealth Pro, Taylor 314 LtdCE, Taylor 355, Mandolins, Controller Keyboards - M-Audio x 2
Monitors - Adam A7X
RitchieM

Postby TheNavigator » Wed Nov 06, 2013 9:18 am

I hate the pirates for forcing me (indirectly) to probably buy Cubase Elements. :x

TheNavigator

Postby C.LYDE101 » Wed Nov 06, 2013 10:31 am

RitchieM wrote:You boys must spend most of your time searching for that!!

In response to Clyde, that is exactly my issue with the current implementation, you buy a product then have to get another for a situation that is now common and other program's work with.

Forget the Waves plan, but the Reason one is still uncracked.

Forget about what's cracked - the Propllerhead approach is similar to Waves, in that one is given alternatives. I suspect the Balance interface method would be the least utilised, but then they still offer internet verification, like Presonus and Ableton, as well as the USB key.

The smart bit about the Waves approach is that allow the user to move the license(s) around. Also the USB key is not some special piece of hardware, it can be any type of flash memory.
C.LYDE101

Postby RitchieM » Wed Nov 06, 2013 10:35 am

The response though with Waves approach IS that it has been defeated, so SB will not (and I don't blame them) entertain that method, but the Propellerhead is still virginal!
Monitors - Adam A7X
RitchieM

Postby C.LYDE101 » Wed Nov 06, 2013 10:59 am

Just ran a quick search. .. more reason 7 patch an crack options than one could beat with a stick?
C.LYDE101

Postby RitchieM » Wed Nov 06, 2013 11:01 am

They aren't real, do the same for Nuendo 6 and see what results you get!
Monitors - Adam A7X
RitchieM

Postby Benutzername » Wed Nov 06, 2013 11:45 am

Ed Doll wrote:Not exactly as short as some of the Bluetooth transmitters but significantly shorter.
Cubase Artist also requires a USB-eLicenser, it would have to be Cubase Elements and depending on the project, this might not be enough as a interim solution as features are missing. It should be possible to continue to work with the version you purchased.

Maybe this could be a solution: Give all registered users of a dongle protected Cubase version a free Elements license for mobile use. A Cubase license already costs $800 and adding $130 just to be able to work mobile with a very stripped down version just doesn't feel right.

Creating a software license costs nothing so this should not be a big deal, especially considering that Cubase users technically already have an Elements license on their dongle. It's just currently not possible to part it from the big license and to move it to a software license.
Benutzername

Postby TheNavigator » Wed Nov 06, 2013 11:49 am

Benutzername wrote:
Ed Doll wrote:Not exactly as short as some of the Bluetooth transmitters but significantly shorter.
Cubase Artist also requires a USB-eLicenser, it would have to be Cubase Elements and depending on the project, this might not be enough as a interim solution as features are missing. It should be possible to continue to work with the version you purchased.

Maybe this could be a solution: Give all registered users of a dongle protected Cubase version a free Elements license for mobile use. A Cubase license already costs $800 and adding $130 just to be able to work mobile with a very stripped down version just doesn't feel right.

Creating a software license costs nothing so this should not be a big deal, especially considering that Cubase users technically already have an Elements license on their dongle. It's just currently not possible to part it from the big license and to move it to a software license.

Agreed. I could perfectly live with this solution, but I'm not willing to invest more money into a software I already own just because of some piracy considerations.

TheNavigator

Postby curteye » Wed Nov 06, 2013 12:03 pm

TheNavigator wrote:Agreed. I could perfectly live with this solution,

+1
If Elements can playback approx 30-40 VI's (HalionSonic2/SampleTank/NI stuff)
Then I am on board with this suggestion BIG TIME!

{'-'}
If yer gear ain't breakin down, you aint workin' much.

iMac i7 2.8Gz 16GB 10.9...../C5.5/6.5/7.5
Mbook 2.4Gz 4GB 10.7.5.../C5.5/6.5/7.5
Mac Pro w/3 4k monitors.
On-line in Jan 2015

On the side of a volcano in the middle of the Pacific Ocean.
curteye
Grand Senior Member

Postby Centralmusic » Wed Nov 06, 2013 12:19 pm

curteye wrote:
TheNavigator wrote:Agreed. I could perfectly live with this solution,

+1
If Elements can playback approx 30-40 VI's (HalionSonic2/SampleTank/NI stuff)
Then I am on board with this suggestion BIG TIME!

{'-'}

Absolutely YES!
In Cubase Elements you can run 40 VI´s simultaneously.
24 instrument tracks + VST instrument slots 16. (With 64 Midi tracks)

Comparison Chart:
http://www.google.com/url?q=http://www. ... PhPMdcda9A

:)
Centralmusic
Grand Senior Member

Postby jaslan » Wed Nov 06, 2013 1:06 pm

TheNavigator wrote:Agreed. I could perfectly live with this solution, but I'm not willing to invest more money into a software I already own just because of some piracy considerations.

You didn't buy and you don't own the software. You bought the right to use it according to the user agreement. So, when you pay for Elements, you are paying for an expanded usage option, not paying for the software again.
TheNavigator wrote:carrying around about EUR 1.000,- in public transport is an absolute no - go

You are carrying a dongle which costs $30, not $1000. The licenses on the dongle are recoverable provided you have registered them. Granted, there is inconvenience involved, just like losing your driver's license or a key.
Last edited by jaslan on Wed Nov 06, 2013 1:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Core-i7 2820QM, 16GB RAM. Cubase 6.5.5 x64 on Windows 7. Scarlett 2i2. M-Audio Axiom Pro 61. Komplete 8. HALion 5. Jamstix 3.5. HSO VST Sound Set. Absolute VST+. 418 Carrier Landings.
SoundCloud
jaslan

Postby TheNavigator » Wed Nov 06, 2013 1:12 pm

Obvious fanboy is obvious.

TheNavigator

Postby RitchieM » Wed Nov 06, 2013 1:20 pm

I think that your opinion is in the minority.

I don't think the suggestion is having a free elements license, but rather the swapping as and when required.

I believe that is something you are entitled to when buying the full C7 license.
Monitors - Adam A7X
RitchieM

PreviousNext

Return to Steinberg Lounge