Steinberg's dongle alternative coming

I hate the pirates for forcing me (indirectly) to probably buy Cubase Elements. :angry:

Forget about what’s cracked - the Propllerhead approach is similar to Waves, in that one is given alternatives. I suspect the Balance interface method would be the least utilised, but then they still offer internet verification, like Presonus and Ableton, as well as the USB key.

The smart bit about the Waves approach is that allow the user to move the license(s) around. Also the USB key is not some special piece of hardware, it can be any type of flash memory.

The response though with Waves approach IS that it has been defeated, so SB will not (and I don’t blame them) entertain that method, but the Propellerhead is still virginal!

Just ran a quick search. … more reason 7 patch an crack options than one could beat with a stick?

They aren’t real, do the same for Nuendo 6 and see what results you get!

Maybe this could be a solution: Give all registered users of a dongle protected Cubase version a free Elements license for mobile use. A Cubase license already costs $800 and adding $130 just to be able to work mobile with a very stripped down version just doesn’t feel right.

Creating a software license costs nothing so this should not be a big deal, especially considering that Cubase users technically already have an Elements license on their dongle. It’s just currently not possible to part it from the big license and to move it to a software license.

Agreed. I could perfectly live with this solution, but I’m not willing to invest more money into a software I already own just because of some piracy considerations.

+1
If Elements can playback approx 30-40 VI’s (HalionSonic2/SampleTank/NI stuff)
Then I am on board with this suggestion BIG TIME!

{‘-’}

Absolutely YES!
In Cubase Elements you can run 40 VI´s simultaneously.
24 instrument tracks + VST instrument slots 16. (With 64 Midi tracks)

Comparison Chart:
http://www.google.com/url?q=http://www.steinberg.net/fileadmin/files/PRODUCTS/Cubase/Generation_7/Cubase_7/Downloads/Cubase_Comparison_Chart.pdf&sa=U&ei=DCR6UpulOYi34ATctoCoAw&ved=0CBsQFjAA&usg=AFQjCNHHtUbLQ57ldGs_h973PhPMdcda9A

:slight_smile:

You didn’t buy and you don’t own the software. You bought the right to use it according to the user agreement. So, when you pay for Elements, you are paying for an expanded usage option, not paying for the software again.

You are carrying a dongle which costs $30, not $1000. The licenses on the dongle are recoverable provided you have registered them. Granted, there is inconvenience involved, just like losing your driver’s license or a key.

Obvious fanboy is obvious.

I think that your opinion is in the minority.

I don’t think the suggestion is having a free elements license, but rather the swapping as and when required.

I believe that is something you are entitled to when buying the full C7 license.

Cubase costs $500, not $800 and Elements is $100, not $130 (are you including taxes?). What is “fair” or “feels right” is determined by the users through their choice of whether or not to buy. If it doesn’t feel right then don’t do it.

What it costs is irrelevant. What it is worth is all that matters.

Cubase costs $800 in Germany. That’s fact and no, we don’t have 65% VAT here. If you walk into a store next to the Steinberg HQ then this will most likely be the dearest license you’ll find on this planet. And if you buy a box from somewhere else in the world then Steinberg will refuse activation of the software from a German IP address.

Almost all other DAWs are similar priced like in the US (+taxes).

It’s insulting and I feel ripped off everytime I compare software prices between the US and Europe, even when taking into account the VAT here. :imp:

This discrimination of european customers stinks.

I didn’t know that! I almost activate my Cubase7 copy when I was in Germany but the box arrived late

OK. Didn’t realize that it costs that much more in Germany. It doesn’t matter though. Whether you paid $100 or $1000, you paid it willingly, which, by definition, means it was a “fair” deal to you. So, more (i.e. the Elements license in addition) would, by definition, should be worth paying more for.

Are you sure this is discrimination? Perhaps just the cost of doing business in Europe (laws, regulations, etc.) or simply supply and demand. I don’t feel discriminated against when I buy gasoline in NYC that is much cheaper in Mississippi.

True, but when the competition changes, unless you do “something” to compete, that is when things can go bad.

Obviously people get used to a particular workflow, so moving from a piece of software can be tough, but if there is enough benefit in change, such as not having to pay extra to location record without risking losing your licenses, even if only for 100hrs, eventually it will happen. It is very foolish to think otherwise, and if someone stops using a product, they are unlikely to go back.

A feb cannot afford to listen to customers these days, which, according to Eds response, they are doing to some extent which is very encouraging.

Let me give you an example, the one which made me angry a few days ago:

If I would buy Reason 7 in the USA, I would pay EUR 240,- for it.

Add 20% VAT (the EU VAT) and you are at EUR 288,- which is still a very good price and acceptable. A no brainer.

But, as a customer in Europe, I have to pay EUR 369,- at the cheapest available dealer. This is a pricing difference which is absolutely unacceptable. EUR 299,- would be ok. I would accept that difference for the reasons you named.

Yes, this is a rip off, it’s mistreatment of customers because of where they are located.

And when I hear stories of “Cubase costing only USD 500,-” (which is EUR 370,- - a very fair price!) in the USA, this really makes me sick.

Am I less valuable as a human being just because I’m from Europe? :imp: