Steinberg's dongle alternative coming

Good luck with that, but be sure not to lose right of your musical goals; let others lust for money while you keep the fame.

Audacity man… audacity!

Can that play back to two separate stereo outputs? One for the FOH feed, one for the drummers click track?

mmm not sure really.

I’m using Reaper for live (mostly for recording) In reaper you can add as many stereo outputs as you (and your card) can handle

Uncalled for…

You misunderstand my point (probably why you call me a troll).

I never said I LIKE the dongle. In fact, some of the ideas expressed in this thread actually do sound good to me. But that is not my point.
My point is…
Steinberg has said that the dongle is here for the foreseeable future. So why keep whining about it? Either accept it until they decide to offer another solution or move on to something that better suits your needs. Make a choice and live with it like a man.

I am just tired of the irrelevant arguments trying to “make the case” why they “owe” a dongle-free solution… “Because other DAWs do it…” (irrelevant, Steinberg makes their own choices, not other DAW companies). “Because I paid X amount…”(irrelevant, that is a past transaction that included the dongle). “Because they can…”, “Because I need it…” None of it matters. NONE OF IT.

What matters is how THEY decide to market their product and whether YOU choose to buy it. That is my point. Not that the dongle is good, bad, or ugly for us or them.

Finally, as I am accused of “trolling” this topic, I could accuse others of “campaigning.” Both of which are against the forum rules.

SB was in the beginning (at least in part) bank rolled by the Japanese multi-national Yamaha, for the purpose of acquiring Syncrosoft; this has led to better development practices for both protected and protection software.

Steinberg is much older than that. :wink:

I use this one for months now, and you may roll over it with your car without damaging it. Shouldn’t be too hard to use a case like this for the dongle:

It is on my bunch of keys, wanders from pocket to pocket, gets thrown around, and guess what - it simply works.

+1
{‘-’} (or like a woman) :slight_smile:

You have a dongle. It’s the same size as your house keys and car keys. Ask yourself how many times you have lost those EVER. And how many times have you seen car keys and house keys and dongles get lost. EVER.
If the answer is more than two then probably losing your dongle means that one is too dumb to understand Cubase anyway. :mrgreen: Honestly I do try to be nice. :laughing:

I have never lost a key to my home, but:

1. I have BROKEN keys, quite a few times. I think I spent like EUR 1.000,- over the last 15 years for new locks, because of the broken keys

2. Steinberg sadly decided to use the cheapest, most fragile casing for the dongle… the cheapest thing could come up with or so

3. The contacts of the USB dongle are unprotected

4. People in public transport in parts of Vienna… have you seen “28 days later”? Thats what it feels like to go to Reumannplatz or Transdanubia

I remember when RME first release the BabyFace, and they even came out and said that the Chinese makers did not make casings up to their standards, so it is quite possible that SB have not bothered to change anything since acquiring Syncrosoft.

I’ve had the same dongle for 15 years. Strapped onto my house keys when I go out with it. $1000 on broken keys! Is that because it’s cold where you are or do you hit them with a crowbar? 10c worth of oil would probably stop that.

Of course, a metal case would be more solid but please keep in mind that we do not produce them in quantities Patriot produces their USB sticks. This would result in a price increase for the USB-eLicenser. The new one will be shorter and we will have a look at the material again as well but chances are high that it will continue to be a plastic case.

hi Ed, how about offering users a choice?

That would be even more expensive :wink:

How about wood instead of metal? (no, I’m not kidding)

a smaller but yet plastic usb dongle is screaming “more fragile” to me, I (personally) don’t care about the size if it is robust (also, the more tiny the usb dongle is, more likely to be forgotten)

Patriot at least shows that there is a way to design an USB stick that is very stable and robust enough to be put on an average male’s bunch of keys and that survives it in the long run; that’s exactly what I would expect from a software dongle, too.

for who?
You, me or everyone?

Steinberg lets US pay for THEIR problem. So it would be more expensive for us, yes.