Making cd for universal use/ as comercials

Hi
What can be the problem when I make a perfectly ok cd in Wavelab8 for home audio systems and PCs, but that does not work in two different car cd players? I want to make cd as if it were commercial, and can work in most players.
sincerely
Ole Hjelle

Oversized? CD-Text?

44Min only but how can i recognice textproblems?
i have used only tracknames?
could it be oversized tracknames?

Some CD player might not like CD Text at all. Try without CD Text.

Many car stereos, especially older Hondas (even the owners manuals of pre 2000 models say they’re no good), won’t play CD-Rs reliably. Sometimes different brands with higher reflectivity can help, but sometimes it just won’t work. CD Text, otoh, seems to be supported most commonly in car stereos, followed by DVD players. I guess the assumption is they won’t connect to the internet or something. Anyway, check any CD-R in problem players to verify the device can read CD-Rs. If you find one that works (or not), select blank media accordingly.

Daved has better suggestion that mines.

I have made several cd’s for use in those cars, but not through Wavelab, and not with track-text’s like this one.
What did Daved mean by selecting blank media accordingly?

He means the CD brand you use might not be recognized by all players.

Hi
Now I tried to update to the latest version Wavelab.
I have removed the file name, and used only numbers.
Still it does not work in the car player. ;o(
I use a normal Verbatim 700mb imprintable.
Some additional tips or advice?

What are they doing differently commercially, since they manage to create a medium that works in most players?

It appears that the hardware driver to cd burner is updated…

CD-Text is not about file names, but about burning CD title, artist and song titles with the audio onto the CD. Did you burn with the highest speed or a slower speed? I always burn 24x media at 16x maximum, but prefer 8x. This can make quite a difference to the car player. (Especially with CD-RW media)

Read Daved’s comment again…

I would like to know if I can achieve the same use of cd’s in the car as with a commercial CD.
The cd player in the car can read commercial CDs
Do I need another production metode?
Do I need another cd brand?
Or do I need a different format?
Or I may have overlooked some codes that I should have used?

Out From what Daved said, one might also means that commercial CD is not based on stock cd-r format at all?

What we try to explain, is that the problem is not the format or content of the CD, but the media itself. A commercial CD is “printed”, not “burnt”. It reflects the CD laser in a better way than a self-burn CD. This is why we say, that you could try another CD brand, that has better laser reflection, once burnt by you.
But the physical CD, produced at the factory, won’t have problems.

I used slowest speed, no filename text, only numbers, and no cd text at all.
So I’m curious, how the commercials do. :astonished:)

So if i in some way i had a commercial “printer” then… :wink:
So it could be my specific pc making not to good “burning”?
May be i should try my project on my Macbook Pro then?

Try different brands of CDR
one safe bet was/is Taiyo Yuden etc

and slower speed when burning “I think is still the case if possible”
and CDR/DVD burner brand’s like “Plextor” !?

regards S-EH

There are only a few possibilities here, since WL8 itself has no problem burning CD Text:

1. The player in question cannot read CD-Rs properly. In this case, it won’t matter what burner or software you use, it will never read back, and may barely play at all.
  2. The burner isn’t capable of writing CD Text. Replacing the burner alone would help here.
  3. The media/blanks you’re using aren’t reflective enough for the player you’re checking in.

1 & 3 are related, but different. 3 is a temporary problem, fixed by replication (replicated products are stamped just like vinyl, with pits and lands forming ones and zeros; CD-Rs are burned so the surface has light and dark areas so contrast matters, so duping to more reflective or contrasty media or stamping to pressed discs will fix #3).

Easy test: Throw a commercial CD that you know has Text on it into a DVD player (not Blu Ray) and see if titles appear. Most DVD players read CD Text, so that’s your simple go/no-go test. If it reads text, next insert a CD-R you burned with text into that player. Do you see text? If so you know the disc is good. If not you can infer the burner doesn’t support it, or at least not with WL8. Buy a new burner, making sure it supports it and you’re good.

Finally, if the text appears on the DVD player, but not in your car or other player, you can safely assume that player is the problem. In that case you can fool around with different manufacturer’s blank media and see if anything works, or you can press/stamp replicated CDs for the project instead of burning CD-Rs. Or you can forget it entirely, as many people do and move on, accepting that some players will have trouble with CD-Rs (like pre-2003 Hondas!).