Mini The Moog

Ta Curteye,

Thanks for your congrats !! Its a real honour to own such a world class instrument as i am sure you can appreciate. :mrgreen:

Thats an interesting little memory about giving the keys player time to re-program patches on a non-memory synth.

Best,

Paul

I had a moog source for a little while back in the early 80’s. it was basically a mini with a digital preset memory… Did not seem to have the tuning issues so much, at least, once it was warm. :sunglasses:

Hey NWM,

Yeh man, one of my best mates has a Source !! Its great and i keep trying to buy it off him. It has buttons in the old Yamaha DX7 style, and the funkiest colour scheme ever. Love the sound of it. i think it has an ARPEGGIATOR or a SEQUENCER of sorts onboard ??

Ta,

Paul

I don’t own it, but I heard it is pretty amazing.

I have NI B4 mkII and it makes me droll just holding down the keys! I happened to pass through a music shop a few weeks ago and they had a full Hammond organ with pedals and a Lesie speaker and it sounded great no doubt. I think the B4 comes close enough though in the studio.

I view it as this: You can’t compare a real instrument like Hammond/Leslie or Strat/Marshall to a simulated one, but you can compare a micked up organ+amp or guitar+amp coming through the wall in to the studio monitors to a sim instrument also coming through the studio monitors. And in 2013 it’s close enough to say that in the studio it makes no sense to drag the real poop around just for the sake of it. If you have some special set up you rely on for whatever reason of course you should use your hardware, but most of the time it’s not significantly better.

The sims take no space and you can save presets of hundreds of combinations. Hardware can’t. Hardware can WAIL and SCARE SMALL ANIMALS, TICKLE YOUR EARS, ROCK YOUR SOCKS OFF and SOUNDS DANGEROUS in the real world. That’s their place!!! :sunglasses:

Where were we? Oh, the B4! Great plugin! :sunglasses:
Get on if you can … Native Instruments discontinued it a few years ago, though!!! :open_mouth:

[edit]

Same goes for the Mini Moog, of course!

I have NI B4 mkII and it makes me droll just holding down the keys! I happened to pass through a music shop a few weeks ago and they had a full Hammond organ with pedals and a Lesie speaker and it sounded great no doubt. I think the B4 comes close enough though in the studio.

Where were we? Oh, the B4! Great plugin! > :sunglasses: >
Get on if you can … Native Instruments discontinued it a few years ago, though!!! > :open_mouth:

Thanks Howling,

Yes i think you are correct. It must have been discontinued because i can’t seem to find it anywhere. i was also not aware that there was a ‘Mk 2’ version.

Paul

Congrats on the Mini! I’ve owned an original Model D since 1989.
Got it for a hundred bucks in Youngstown Ohio.
Mostly been sitting in a studio but I did gig with it on and off.
The tuning was always an issue at live events.
(The temp and humidity in clubs can be bad)

I use to use the headphone output to tune it and change
sounds parameters between playing.
You can shut off the main output and still use the
phones output. That little feature was brilliant thinking.
Saved my ass a couple of times right before a lead part
came up all out of tune.

I paid a $100.00 used in 1989, had it serviced once in Chicago at
Midwest Music Menders at a cost of $350.00-$400.00
sometime around 1992. Still going strong today.

The cosmetics are and have always been totally ruined.
The guy I bought it from had painted all the wood black.
Added a piece of wood to the bottom where he drilled a
giant hole to attach a stand. The keys are all crooked and
misaligned. But I like it that way. It looks like the keyboard
Mad Max would have had in “The Road Warrior” if he were a
musician and not a high speed death dealer of the future world.

It would be nice to get it looking like brand new I guess.
I would only do that if I were going to sell it and
that just isn’t going to happen.

Congratulations again, you have a new analogue friend for life.

Thanks Rotund,

Thats a very interesting story mate !!

So i guess you are not going to invest any money in it, and so just keep it as it is. If its only being used in your studio then i guess thats fine.

Ta,

Paul

Guys,

i tooks some pic’s this weekend but am not sure if i can upload them as it says JPEG files are not permitted ??

Paul :confused:

i just opened a couple of accounts with Flickr and SkyDrive (duplicate files in each). Please take a look… :smiley:

(Flickr)

COMPLETE SET :-

http://www.flickr.com/photos/monsterjazzlicks/sets

INDIVIDUAL :-

http://www.flickr.com/photos/monsterjazzlicks/sets/72157637786720376/

http://www.flickr.com/photos/monsterjazzlicks/sets/72157637784204506/

http://www.flickr.com/photos/monsterjazzlicks/sets/72157637786120223/

http://www.flickr.com/photos/monsterjazzlicks/sets/72157637784359345/

(SkyDrive)

COMPLETE SET :-

https://skydrive.live.com/?cid=94a102d689dd3308#cid=94a102d689dd3308

INDIVIDUAL :-

That looks amazing, nice flightcase with it too!
Happy with the sound? :smiley:

Strophoid,

Thanks for taking the time to check out my recent pics. i am pleased that the links and uploads worked !! Would you say that the method i have used is the best (and only) option ?? As i say, the forum would not accept the ‘size’ of my photo’s (which were around 4MB each) ??

The seller gave me a full 90 x mins demonstration on the Moog at his home before i made the purchase which was very helpful indeed. So yes, it sounded amazing and i found it (on that occassion) easier to be able to an analize/concentrate on the sound whilst he was playing it, rather than me. i had a quick play of course, but it was mainly the seller who (quite literally !!) could not keep his hands off the damn thing !!

Because i was travelling down on the train from Liverpool to Bristol to make the purchase, the seller kindly included a fully flight case. Heavy of course but vital for serious transportation. i bought the 4 x Moog stickers from :-

stickers-design@hotmail.fr

It was a lovely sale and the seller has become a very close friend.

Happy days… :mrgreen:

Paul

Yeah this works fine, I’m on my phone as well so this is a good solution. To embed pics in your post they can be at most 700 pixels wide so if you want that you’ll need to resize them manually first. Alternatively you can upload them as attachment to your post, but 4mb is too much, can’t remember what the limit is but I imagine it tells you when you try.
Using something like Flickr is fine though.

Ta mate,

It says ‘1MiB’ is the maximum file size. But as i kept reducing the photo’s the quality seriously diminshed and became unusable.

So i opened accounts with Flickr and SkyDrive. It took bloody AGES to upload all the pics, but once they are done then thats it !!

Yeah, reducing the photo quality is a bad idea, you are better off resizing them to make them smaller. That saves much more space without harming the quality (you just lose detail obviously, but at least colours remain intact) and you don’t need huge pictures anyway.

But do you think that the way i have done it (ie. provided LINKS to uploaded pic’s on a 3rd Party website) is a good method ?? :question:

Yeah sure, it works fine. It’s just slightly easier for the reader if you are able to embed them right in the post using img tags, but that’s a bit more work for you because they need to be the right resolution. To get them in the post just get a direct link to the image you want to embed and put it in between the img tags, like so:

[img]https://i2.sndcdn.com/avatars-000002284831-y93rbx-t200x200.jpg?3eddc42[/img]

I got that link by going to my own soundcloud page, rightclicking the image and copying the image url. That works on most websites, but not on flickr so that might not be the right choice as an image host IF you want to embed pictures.

This afternoon when I watched your images I just looked at the flickr album you posted. The other links I didn’t try, but I just noticed something went wrong in the formatting, because these links are truncated. If you want to paste a link to an image make sure it’s not automatically shortened when pasting it.

i just totally re-done them all from scratch, but i am not sure if they have still come out ‘truncated’ again ?? :confused:

I got that link by going to my own soundcloud page, rightclicking the image and copying the image url. That works on most websites, but not on flickr so that might not be the right choice as an image host IF you want to embed pictures.

Do you mean you Right-Click on the Image and then Click on PROPERTIES, and copy the ADDRESS URL :-

http://i1.sndcdn.com/avatars-000007845772-jzm4xs-crop.jpg?3eddc42

or the AVATAR :-

avatars-000007845772-jzm4xs-crop.jpg?3eddc42

(these are both from my own SoundCloud page - http://soundcloud.com/monsterjazzlicks).

i will try this at a later date thanks a lot. But because there are about 28 x pic’s is total, i thought this would be a stupid amount to post purely because it would take up far too much room.

Yes the links are fine now :slight_smile:

Yeah that URL should work fine, just stick it inbetween img tags like in my previous post and it should work. 28 pics would be a bit much I agree :wink:.

Much appreciated Strophoid !!

Your example is very helpful indeed thanks.

i am very new to all this online file-sharing etc so i am constantly playing ‘catch up’ !! :open_mouth: