KeyCommand Utility - Now Testing Mac Support

ok mac dudes, let me know how it goes. Zip file with the script is on the first message.

Excellent! One problem I see is one I struggled with. Some of the key commands are not mapped properly in Cubase. So, instead of “Shift+`” there is actually a “~”. This is true for _,+,<,>,?,{,},|

To make matters worse, it isn’t just the Shift+x version, some of them pop up in the alt and ctrl versions as well. Very goofy.

I don’t get it, it is not working now.

I am sure it worked earlier, as the KeyCommands.html file is in my prefs folder. :confused:

grrr … that’s weird because it works on Unix this way.

So, until I can figure out the path thing, put the 3 files in your /~ dir

Wait. it did work just now, but I had to cd to the dir to run the script.

the pwd in the the shell has to be the dir that the file is in.

so to run the script copy/paste these commands into Terminal.app

cd ~/Library/Preferences/Cubase\ 7/
perl genCommands.pl

that makes sense because basically ./ pretty much means “here”. As in the place you execute the script from.

So what, perl runs from the directory you are in when you invoke the script? Talk about non-intuitive! But it has to do with computer security, I guess.

Hm. I think some applescript is called for here, but that might not work either due to security also. I’ll check it out. A clickable app to run this would be good.

Okay, got it working using Automator.app (an Apple built-in app)

Attached is an application generated from Automator.app that runs the perl script, no user intervention needed beyond placing JMCecils files in your prefs dir. ( ~/Library/Preferences/Cubase 7/ )

Here are the terminal commands the Automator script runs:

cd ~/Library/Preferences/Cubase\ 7/
perl ~/Library/Preferences/Cubase\ 7/genCommands.pl
sleep 2
open ~/Library/Preferences/Cubase\ 7/KeyCommands.html

edit, Apr 10, 2014: the file paths above are for Cubase 7, if you are using this with a different version be sure to edit the paths to the version you are using.

Get Cubase 7 Key Commands.zip (1.47 MB)

Okay, now for the bug reports :laughing:

Mouse hover doesn’t pop up the little info window…

Lol. I noticed that too. I’ll see what meta data is different.

You guys are ‘on it’

@ SteveInChicago
and
@ JMCecil

Looks like you two guys could be setting up yer own company soon. :slight_smile: :slight_smile: :slight_smile:

I admire the teamwork.
{‘-’}

Thanks for the test, JM

I just checked this again and indeed, it seems that there is a problem with these, not using them with Cubase (they are regularly recorded in the Key Commands.xml file as the other ones and work when used as key commands with Cubase) but trying to make them appear in Notepoad via a VBScript. Here, these keys are associated to other characters due to the different country layouts. In example, your } is equivalent to my £. The latter work with Cubase, and is recorded as so in the Key Commands.xml file, but is not processed as such (not at all, actually…) by the VBScript.

Will investigate further, but it seems, at first glance that there are 5 shift+key combinations (I didn’t try with Ctrl or Alt, yet…) such as this one, on the right of the keyboard between the letters keys and the Backspace-Return-RightShift block, that are not usable when read in a xml file and/or written in a txt one, via a VBScript. The equivalent of your < and > keys (here, they are . and /) are working as expected, though…

lol, one of the funniest moments of my programmer life happened in France close to 20 years ago, and my first experience with a completely euro azerty based keyboard. I’m an extremely proficient typist and never look at the keyboard. You can guess my consternation while watching total gibberish appear on the screen.

I believe I was able to get the tooltips back. Let me know.

Yes tooltips are working. Very nice. It didn’t work at first though, pm sent.

I forgot to adf the " to the list before posting.

Add the "

Got that. I have also re-ordered the keys here to make it visual- qwerty instead of abcdefg down the left side. Also added F16, I remap my capslock to F16. and it shows up in the table. Nice and flexible. Now, perl at least doesn’t scare me, but it is still mystifies. :confused:

$sandwich2->{huh}->[8] say what?

lol, it will click little by little and it starts reading like english. I’ve seen the same syntax styles so many times that languages don’t bother me. But, each one has it’s own little differences that can drive you nuts. Or, things that are easy in one language are 3090349805 lines of code in another.

Anyhow, I realize I popped the PC version on the last update. I’ll write a little PC|MAC filter that can be set at the top so you don’t have to dig around in the body of the code.

I updated the css a bit, added a “.” to the empty cells, added in the “"” symbol. Made it a little easier to choose Mac or PC.

Moved, the old VB Script version to a lower thread.