If it was your money?

OK, well…to answer the question as if it were MY money ( it’s $2,500 to 3,500 )
I would wonder about headphones too—how awesome do they have to be?

The monitor and the headphones fulfill the same basic function—they tell you what does it sound like ?
Perhaps i should get phones first to see how i like my sound to be…but i don’t like it when my head feels like a sweaty football, it’s a wee bit claustrophobic—Yes, headphones don’t promise to be a fresh air listening experience…primary thinking and mixing is for the studio monitors…

But i’ve got other speaker sources to evaluate mixed material ( even before the mix is complete )----BoomBox, TV, miniature MP3 headphones, and a Roland jazz chorus 120 watt amp to see what happens at high volume…There’s any number of makeshift ways to anticipate what the listener will hear, eh?

By the way, i recommend this amp, it ls impeccably clear at high volumes—once i stuck my head in it and i heard a
musical bonus i did not believe…it’s just loud and clear…clear, eh ?..this can be one monitor among others

So i think active semi-pro monitors take precedent over headphones…partly because i’m impatient with headphones
Approximately $80 for headphones—how can you tell if they are durable?
And $340 for active studio monitors…