Tips Tricks And Workflow Goodness

A little Groove Agent SE Tip for those who likes to layer sounds (I do that a lot with drums in pop songs)

If you add multiple sounds to a pad (by drag and dropping) use the first (top) option when dropping the sounds to a pad to layer them.
At first they will will not trigger at the same time but the different samples will trigger depending on the velocity so while the pad is selected, change the mode to “layer” instead of “velocity” in the main tab. Now they all trigger at the same time but you can’t adjust the volumes or any other parameters of the different samples separately … but here’s how to do it:

There are 2 little buttons on the upper right side of Groove Agent SE, one is ABS or Rel (It’s set to ABS by default)
and the other one is Pad or Sel (It’s set to Pad by default). If you press the Pad button to switch it to Sel (while the multi samples pad is selected) you can now chose the sample you want to change the volume or any other parameters and it will only change the settings of that sample within the Pad instead of all the samples within the pad. So just select the sample, tweak some buttons and when you select another sample on the same pad you’ll see the the tweaks you made won’t affect the other samples :slight_smile: I find That really usefull instead of having to have 3 midi notes for my kick sound, I just have one and tweak it inside Groove Agent SE.

Can someone make this a sticky so it is always there to refer to. A fantastic thread. Thank you Paul.

btw. does it update automatically then, following the selected track(s) in the arrange without having to use an extra keycommand? still quite new to the new mixer. so far i can only update the console to the currently selected track in the arrange manually, using a keycommand.

Here’s a very nice solution to the problem of creating a click count-in for a tempo change, contributed by the ever-creative Vic France.

Thanks for this excellent thread!

Maybe a bit off topic, but real time savers

• replace your HD with an SSD
  • move to 64bit (W7, Cubase, plugins)
  • say goodbye to any plugins that cause crashes
  • use a wireless keyboard with key commands for recording (arm, rec, play/pause, go left, undo) so you have kind of remote control

Key commands have been mentioned already. If you have trouble remembering them, invent some system and make them somewhat failsafe. For example, my first level key commands are all non-destructive (mainly zoom an transport functions), so I won’t accidentally delete an entire project by just hitting the wrong key. Shift is mainly for audio functions (like gain, pitch), and CTRL will mostly open editors. I always try to associate a word with the letter of the key, so it’s not so hard to remember. Maybe not your preferred way, but I think you get the picture…

Pondstreetstudios

For Windows O/S: Here is a way to restart a USB midi device that was plugged in before starting Cubase and was running properly but somehow got disconnected during the session.

Once you discover your USB is disconnected and not working do the following procedure:

1. Shut off your USB midi device
  2. Re-plugin your USB midi device
  3. Turn on your USB midi device
  4. Go to Devices>Device Setup…>MIDI Port Setup
  5. Find your USB midi device in the list and uncheck the box “In ALL MIDI” this will make the state “Inactive”
  6. Recheck the “In ALL MIDI” box to make the state “Active”
  7. Hit OK

You would think just hitting the “reset” button instead of doing steps 5 & 6 would work but it doesn’t work for me. :question:

Regardless, you should be all set.

Sincerely,

Hi All,

Couple more tips collated into the main post, thanks to everyone for sharing their incredible cleverness.

PC

Alt+mouse scroll (a little hand icon appears) to move the projects view around
Edit:my english messed up, SteveInChicago correct me on this.

click mouse wheel and Drag project and editors Screen area + projects inspector( seems it doesn’t work on inspector areas inside editors)

Edit 2: another related to navigation… try ctrl+ scroll wheel … Shift+scroll wheel and see what it does :slight_smile:

(its all new to me so i share it for those like me who didn’t know about it…)

You’re saying you drag the interface or you use the scroll wheel? Drag, I suppose…

For Mac that would be Middle-Click drag, works everywhere.

Drag indeed :slight_smile: its new to me so i didn’t examine it yet on other places… good to know it works everywhere

Check it out in the Inspector.

:mrgreen: nice… not sure if i gonna use it personally, but good to know its there.
actually i probably will use it, cuz sometimes opening more than one inspector “slot” can exceed the screen, now i can drag the inspector up and down :exclamation: cool

Exactly.

Boy, that sure would be nice to control my DAW from down the hall and into the next room!

I tried to see how far this home computer’s keyboard could be from the tower and still control the computer … not too far :cry: .

What is it that determines how far one can be … battery power, specific models of keyboard, “muscleness” of the wireless system, … ?

And if this is asking too much from a tool that is not meant to be used in that fashion (wireless keyboard as a very remote controller) … does anyone have personal experience with an “in-the-next-room” controller for Cubase (7.5.20) on PC?

Thanks for any thoughts!

What is it that determines how far one can be … battery power, specific models of keyboard, “muscleness” of the wireless system, … ?

Bluetooth wireless has a range of about 30 feet. At around that limit my wireless mouse is quite laggy, but combined with Cubase iC it does the trick. You can buy a bluetooth usb dongle which may give you an extra 10 feet or so on the end of a usb cable, but usb cables have a limited length as well. I would imagine that it also depends on how much junk the signal has to get past-ie appliances, walls full of plumbing and electrical boxes, etc. In my case the five feet of iso booth can kill the connection so placing it on the wall closest to the transmitter makes all the difference.

Hi. Sorry for the long post, but I wanted everyone in the solution below to get credit!

I was looking for a way to save an entire folder as a preset. An interesting solution emerged (below). Apologies if this is something obvious; It’s a real timesaver for me!

After using this for a month, I can honestly say that this post from Stealth has improved my life no end.

Thanks again!

Don’t know if my tip is already posted in this thread ( sorry, thread is just too long to read all).
But a way to delete a plugin from the Inserts pane in the Inspector in the Project window:

Just click the plugin and drag it out of the slot: It will be deleted from the Insert Slot !! :smiley:
I can’t remember from which person i got this info but i really want to thank him and i assume this workflow is faster than
opening the plugin choose window and choose “no plugin” :sunglasses:
How simple and nice can things be … yikes !

1 Like

Nice one!

1 Like

1:To start play from event start to its end:
select an event(s) (also works on midi notes in midi editor), use alt+spacebar

2: to set locators upside down to an event (red locators) select event use ; control+enter(on numeric pad).
to skip that event in playback when locators are red activate the cycle on transport bar.