Hans Zimmer - Arcade Midi Mock Up

As long as you’re happy with what you’re doing then that is the main thing. I know of many composers that make a living purely copying and ripping off stuff they’ve heard others do that is popular, and sometimes directors specifically ask them to copy. Thomas Bergersen has expressed in interviews how much he despises that and I have to admire him for being innovative and just being himself artistically. I also admire Zimmer for doing his own thing, directors didn’t like anything that he was doing, then one day they all suddenly loved it and he’s an innovator too.

I’d advise you to even find free or low paid projects to do just for an original demo reel and just keep your head down and work on getting actual contacts in the industry rather than subscribers/views on Youtube. Having Youtube views is not a requirement to work in music, it’s just a myth. :stuck_out_tongue:. A lot of people think that it is and some just get so caughtup with the image of being this badass composer of “omfg epic!!!” music instead of going for artistic merit and individuality.

http://www.blacklightrecordings.com/demo-reel

I know that you’ve written “inspired by” next to the pictures. But using official copyrighted pictures to promote your work in that way isn’t even legal nevermind being a good idea trying to get popular that way. It’s up to you if you think it’s a good idea or not to promote yourself that way of course. I’ve kept my head down for a long time, I haven’t cared to promote my Youtube channel nor get sidetracked or excited over any views or anything like that and I’m now finally working with a talented professional in LA purely based off just being me and doing my own thing. I don’t say this in the hope of boasting, just to try and argue my case for originality.

I wish you all the success in the world and you clearly enjoy what you’re doing and different paths for different people work equally well. But I’d really scrap using those copyrighted movie posters with your music attached purely for the legal reason nevermind the potential misleading aspect from a client or listeners perspective… I wouldn’t say I’m an expert myself but I’d be more that happy to give constructive criticism on completely original pieces instead of pieces inspired by soundtracks that I imagine you’ve listened to so much that they are just stuck in your head.

This is all just advice though, I may be completely wrong about everything but I’m just sharing a few thoughts and queries really and I hope nothing said is taken the wrong way and in a less serious way than it comes across in pure text. Imagine we’re having a relaxing cup of coffee and a light-hearted conversation. :stuck_out_tongue: I still respect and applaud the clear effort that you’ve put in but I always have these concerns when I see people doing this kind of thing. :stuck_out_tongue:

I actually did check the flight scene and although I only Youtubed a clip from the actual movie, they were similar enough in essence that I just decided to focus my comments here instead of on each of your posts. But that’s a problem any person has, if you listen to something so much and try to rescore an already scored film that you know the music to, you will, even if unintentional end up copying it far more than you think that you are. Just forget about views, forget about fans and forget about what you think others want or even demand. Focus on the craft and if you continue putting effort and time into it in the way that you have with these Superman things you will get somewhere.