If it was your money?

I went back and read the OP again. I must have missed where he’s starting completely from scratch. I apologize for that , especially to Mahogany. So, he has a guitar, and nothing else, and M says he needs to get started, which of course is correct.

There are a number of ways to go, but overall I think they break down into two rough categories:

1. buy a retinue of budget-priced gear so you can cover as many bases as possible from the outset

– OR –

1. start with two or three moderately-to-high priced pieces of gear, and then build from there over time.

Both are valid approaches, and both obviously have their benefits and disadvantages. Of course, you need a computer in order to do DAW work, but I don’t think you need to spend anywhere near $1200. I would buy a case, motherboard-with-ram-and-CPU combo, and a hard drive – budget it at $500. This way, you’re positioned to upgrade CPU etc as time goes on, without having to buy an whole new computer.

Next, you need some sort of input/output device. It sounds like you’re going to be tracking yourself, so all you need for now is a stereo unit. Most of these anymore come with Lite versions of one of the popular DAW’s – some of those are more than capable to do multi-track recording… plus, given that they are essentially teasers to get you to upgrade to the full versions, you’ll always have that option if you need more features than the Lite versions provide. There are numerous interfaces in the $150-200 that have specs that are superior (at least on paper) than many of the vintage analog classics from yesteryear!

Of course, you need a microphone. The market is FAT with decent large-diaphragm-condensors in the $500 area; in fact, some of the ones in the $300 range, like that Baby Bottle, are superb mics.

Monitors. I wouldn’t go cheap here (but I wouldn’t go high-end, either). My gut tells me $800 is the number –

You mentioned a weighted controller. In my opinion, all the ones under $1000 suck – either the action is “blocky” or “spongy.” So… I would look for a good used one, maybe not on eBay, but Guitar Center. GC has a 30-day return policy on used if it should not be what you’re looking for. Budget: around $500

Now we move to the what’s inside the DAW. I notice you didn’t mention any drum software. Don’t you need drums? Myself, I use BFD2, and I have all the add-ons… so I have like 70 snares I can chose from. However, some of the Toontracks drum modules sound pretty good (personally, I HATE Stephen Slate). Not sure what to advise, but I want to say $300 will get you started with a pretty good palate of drum sounds.

You asked the question Omnisphere or Komplete. I have both, but if I had to chose… man, that’s a hard one! I guess I’d go with Komplete, since it’s got your basic stuff covered. $500

Dude… you really should put up some room treatment. I’m a bit stunned that a man as experienced as M says it’s largely unnecessary. AT LEAST buy one of those wrap-around thingy’s that prevent reflections from coming back into the mic (actually, they don’t do that, but). For about $300 and a bit of work, you could assemble some very effective bass and early reflections treatment. There are a lot of sites that will sell you the DIY stuff… I use ATS. I would avoid the popular Owens-Corning stuff, and use the cotton baffling stuff (that’s what I used). I built some really awesome bass traps for about $50 each, as well as a bunch of absorption panels, using the cotton baffling, frames made of 4x1" pine (of varying lengths), and overwrapped with cheap but cool-looking cloths – note: DO NOT USE BURLAP!!! It stinks, and it is a bitch to work with.

Lastly, I would buy a reverb plug-in. The stock Cubase verbs are okay, but for $200 you can buy one that will take your music to another level. I use Breverb. $200

(you could also pick up a dedicated EQ and compression plug; personally, I think the stock Cubase ones are okay)

TO SUM UP:

Computer (case, motherboard, drive): $500
Audio interface: $200
Decent condensor: $300
monitors: $800
used weighted controller: $500
drum software: $300
NI Komplete: $500
Room treatment: $300
Reverb plug-in: $200

TOTAL: $3600

Which of course is a bit over your budget. So, I would cut in the following areas:

used monitors (Guitar Center has TONS for sale): $500
drum software: one or two of the EZ Drummer modules: $100
skip the reverb plug for now

Savings: $700

So, we’re STILL high by $300. Myself, I would just settle for a cheaper controller; I would never skimp on room treatment