Cubase 7 and Bay Trail Windows 8.1 tablets

I finally got the card this morning and tested it right away. Don’t know if it’s the fastest microSDXC on the market short of the “extreme” type, but the specs seemed pretty good (max read 50MB/s, max write 35MB/s.) Let’s say that it averages out at 25MB/s, which is similar in performance to a typical USB 2.0 drive (if you have 10-15+ audio tracks, forget about it…) and about twice as fast as a conventional SD card.

My test project had 18 instrument tracks (with seven Kontakt instances) and two stereo audio tracks. It worked without problems. Since this is as far as I’m going to push this little “on-the-go” system, I’m not going to try cramming more and more tracks until it chokes. This is really good news for me, because I will not need to carry along any external drives. Unfortunately, I will still need to bring a powered USB hub with me, since the V8P will not power my Babyface or my keyboard controller.

If you need a faster card, you can buy the SanDisk Extreme Pro 64 GB SDXC (for a whopping $115), which is rated at 95MB/s. Maybe with that you’d be able to record 7-8 or more stereo audio tracks.