Mini The Moog

Much appreciated Strophoid !!

Your example is very helpful indeed thanks.

i am very new to all this online file-sharing etc so i am constantly playing ‘catch up’ !! :open_mouth:

No problem man, I wish I had your gear. Don’t forget what you have :wink: :sunglasses:

Cheers man, i will posting some more vintage keys in the next couple of months :wink:

I checked the pics, it looks awesome! :sunglasses:

Thanks very much MFH. Nice to hear you appreciate the world of Moog !! :mrgreen:

Congratulations on you purchase it’s great to have the real thing can’t wait to hear what you do with it!

Back in day I had - Mini, Arp Odyssey, Clav, Rhodes Suitcase and C3 and Emulator2. The Moog we used for Bass it was incredible instrument and never had an issues with it. I personally loved the sound of the ARP and would love to get another one. Unfortunate the truck was stolen with all that gear in it in Miami Fla…worst day of life at that point :cry:

I am blessed today in having XK3C, B3, Dyno Rhodes and a the E2 which wasn’t in truck at time. I just bought a Wurly 200 model (206 that’s cut down) that needs refurbishing today. I used one on session yesterday and decided that I won’t spend another Day w/o one :slight_smile:
Wurly has got a hum, needs to be regulated (?) and the top octave sticks when pressing the sustain. SHouldn’t be to hard to fix though.

Rock on with that Moog!
Kenny

Hey there Kenny,

Thanks a lot matey. i am pleased you liked the photos. It is a great feeling finally owning one after 25 x years of dreaming about it !! i have definately done the right thing and hung on until the perfect one came along. i nearly ‘impulse bought’ a couple of times (on ebay) i am happy to admit !! :astonished:

Thats a very sad story about your wagon getting stolen with your gear in. When i was at music college our house got burgeled in the first week and i lost £1,500 worth of cd’s. So yes, its a dreadful feeling i know.

btw - i really enjoyed our Skype chat a couple of months back. Did you get sorted with the NORD keyboard you were looking for. Or did you choose another brand ?? i still have and use my Nord Stage 88 Classic all the time.

Best,

Paul

I ended up getting the Kurzweil PC3K8 keyboard, I swore I wasn’t going to get another Kurzweil but couldn’t pass up the deal I got at the Summer Namm show. I really think it’s a great keyboard, very powerful with a steep learning curve…Really easy to set up as control surface for Vienna Ensemble Pro also.

It was very sad (felt like the end of life time lol) but people came out in droves to help us giving us equipment to get back on our feet. It was amazing complete strangers calling/helping even, at that time it made me a different person so as bad as it was I was granted a new look at what it meant to be humane and play it forward.

Ok, i seem to remember you saying you wanted to use it in conjuction with your VSTi’s library on your PC. The External Section (which is great for using with modules like the Roland JV1080 etc) would not have been able to cope with your needs.

i could do with a bit of your help in you don’t mind jumping threads sometime to my ‘Komplete VSTi (or Similar?)’ please :-

Off to bed now as its 5am here !! :open_mouth:

Has anyone heared of or even used this ‘Subtractive Synthesis’ book by Rob Papen please ?? There are 4 x dvd’d inculded in the package. i came across it in the Time&Space website :-

Cheers,

Paul

Absolutely! I’ve been a Moog fan since the first time I heard it.
I own a Moog Satellite (which isn’t working properly and actualy isn’t a real Moog anyway), but I’d love to own a real Mini one day…

I got a copy of Wendy Carlos’ Secrets of Synthesis which is not bad, also have an old vinyl copy of the Nonesuch Guide to Electronic Music, which includes a great booklet.
Never seen this one by Pappin but it looks very interesting - provided it’s not too simplistic. :wink:

Cheers HFH,

Well here is a $20.00 draw for the chance to win one !! It’s been signed by Gary Numan.

Paul

Thanks BH,

i might buy it next year. i looked thru the index and sneak preview on Amazon and it looks quite thorough and comprehensive.

Paul

Cool! But… 1200 raffle tickets * $20.00 = $24,000.00… :astonished:

Hi HFH,

Ha ha…so you did the Maths.

Do you think it’ts wrong that the BMF will potentially be raking in such a profit ??

Or will you be having a punt for $20.00 ??

Paul

Hi folks,

I was looking for an appropriate place to ask a question and after searching around, I found this (my old) thread, and it seems very fitting to place it here:

If one was going to RECORD a MOOG (which I should have done last year but I ended up breaking my leg and ankle! lol) then what would be some good FX to use with it please? I have CUBASE ARTIST 8 but do not own any 3rd party FX plug-in’s (nor can I really see myself purchasing any to be honest [with me being something of a studio hobby-ist]). I know lots of people use WAVES.

Of course, I could just record either the MINIMOOG or MULTIMOOG as DRY and they would sound ok (well they do to my ears). But I am sure that most CUBASE-ist’s would add a plethora of FX and what-not to spice up the sound/recording. I have been playing on my MULTIMOOG this weekend thinking about how one might COMPOSE a tune for it which is when I started to wonder how much (or how little) FX might play a part in this.

I have used FX for a few of my YAMAHA DX21 synth demonstrations albeit most of them have been somewhat mainstream (eg. Delay, Reverb, Chorus, etc), though perhaps, sometimes at least, this may be all that is required.

I would be playing the either the MINI or MULTI in isolation and probably not even layering any OVERDUB’s.

Anyway, those are my thought/questions at this point for anyone able to kindly offer any experience in this area. As I say, I am more of a player/arranger/composer (and [now] not too bad an FM synth programmer) but the area of RECORDING is something I do still need to greatly explore (which, funnily enough, is why I bought CUBASE!!).

Many thanks in advance . . .

Paul

Do a Jan Hammer and run the minimoog through a guitar amp simulator like the one that comes with Cubase, VST Amp Rack. There is a speaker cabinet section in there were you can change microphone positions. When you have the Track recorded and the rest of the mix around it you can change the mic position and find a sweet spot that works for that song. There are dedicated amp sims where you can move the mics around freely wheras VST Amp Rack has just fixed positions but anyways, it’s something you can do before you EQ the thing so it’s worth trying. And you may like or not running the minimoog through overdrive and distortion. Great for lead lines! Then on top of the overdrive you can add ping pong delay in stereo and have the sound bouncing between the speakers. Since the overdrive is essentially a supercharge compressor you will have a thick full sound all around you with delay and it’s plenty fun to play in a cloud of noise like that! The best way to do this is like guitarist do it and record the instrument dry while you have the rest set up so you hear the final sound as you record. It’s another intensity level to play off of the bouncing echos with overdrive than to record “beep beep beep” and then add effects. You may like it as a player! :sunglasses:

Thank you Ulf,

I appreciate that.

I have used the AMP SIM’s built-in on my NORD STAGE CLASSIC keyboard, but not explored them in CUBASE. In my DX SYNTH videos I have not gone so far as to give the timbre such a face lift. And in others I have left it DRY.

I actually do own a FENDER GUITAR AMP (for use with my HOHNER CLAVINET on gigs) but when RECORDING, but I do not want to be hooking up amplification hardware when RECORDING with CUBASE if I can help it. And so I think your AMP SIM suggestion is a helpful idea!

When you mention JAN HAMER, do you mean his work with MAHAVISHNU ORCH where he play RHODES and MOOG etc?

Cheers,

Paul

Naw, I dunno. He’s been trying stuff like that since forever, it’s part of the Jan Hammer sound. I can’t imagine him not doing it in software now but back then they useed what they had. It’s all over the place wherever he’s involved. Mahavishnu, Jeff Beck, Jan Hammer & Jerry Goodman did a wonderful album, Jan Hammer & Neil Schon made a few but the first is the good one, Al DiMeola, Billy Cobham, Stanley Clark … and he got famous for … Miami Vice :astonished: :mrgreen: But his pitch bends and über melodic guitar-ish lines and tones are good enough on the rest of the projects. I’m not so sure about his solo stuff, maybe I’ll have to check it out again but so far the stuff I’ve found is kinda “meh …”, although overall he’s one of the favorites when it comes to keyboardists. :sunglasses: