Split up a long project - how?

The

I’m glad there are many ways ‘to skin a cat’! Good suggestion. Keeps file sizes small and song management independent.

Issues with in-place (common project folder)
Regarding the in-place suggestions:

1. Those almost assume that one will never have to clean up (perhaps offline with RX3) the files. Working with multi-hour files can be tedious, and very difficult to cross reference if you have shifted the [visually-trimmed] clips to the start of each particular song project.

2. Any destructive editing requiring ‘Freeze Edits’ will result in new files (if you want to keep the previous versions). These will each be the original multi-hour long. Basically, you will end up with multiple huge files with changes to only one song in each.

3. The edit-audition-repeat-approval iterative lifecycle of each song may be better managed in completely separate projects+files for each.

4. If you like file naming conventions that include a version, forget it.

Reducing clips to visual size in the Pool
    When I did our CD in 2004 with SX3, I remember there being an option in the Pool to trim a clip to its visual length, creating a separate file in the process, rather that a reference to the common file. It would be the best as it would allow full flexibility to do either project management stream with maximum efficiency. It was easier to keep track of versions, and minimises file sizes.

However, I could not find it again in C7, so if I have missed something, please could someone enlighten me as to how it can be done now.