Split up a long project - how?

Hiyas,

My first reply was to share ‘my’ workflow not the be all and end all :slight_smile: as has been said many times in this very thread, there’s lots of ways to do this.

That said, I like to track a whole session in the one project to speed the session up. There’s nothing more frustrating as a musician than the inevitable ‘give me a minute’ from the engineer, yes, even with templates it takes way longer to create a new project than just moving the cursor and hitting record.

I also do a lot of mixing and overdubbing with external recordings esp from protools. These invariably arrive in OMF format and quite often as one enormous session with entire albums of location recordings in continuous tracks. I think it was from this that I found the system I described in my last post.

When backing up, I just copy the entire Folder created on import as the ‘backup project’ has been broken in past cubase updates and I got into the habit of distrusting it after permanently loosing some files (F*RK).

To Patanjali,

1. If you need to clean up the files as such, just select the whole song (split events at start and end) and choose Bounce Selection from the audio menu and choose replace from the pop up, then backup project as normal.
    You don’t ‘need’ to shift the song on the timeline, that’s what setting the left and right locators is for.

2. If you split the audio events at each song, any offline editing will apply only to the event and not the hours long clip. Further; if you range select the section to process the new clip will be the length of the selection.

3. No sure what you mean here.

4. I always use mix versions in my file names. Each song has it’s own project file and it’s exactly the same as with the separate folder per song system, just ‘save as’ 1, 2, more vox, etc etc

At MarQs

1. I can’t see how automation could get messy as each song has it’s own project (cubase) file, all the automation is separate in each.

Also beware using the ‘minimize files’ (sic) option as it will replace your files, not give you new shorter ones, use bounce selection or backup project for that one.

Any-ways, it’s great to see people sharing their workflows, I’m sure we’ll pick up new ways and ideas from each other.

Cheers,

PC