Humanize track / project

All feature requests and suggestions for upcoming releases of Cubase 7 and Cubase Artist 7 can be posted here.

Humanize track / project

Postby TheNavigator » Sat Nov 30, 2013 8:00 am

This would be a big things for many people from the Rock / Metal - crowd (like me).

This is NOT swing or groove quantization, what I want is something like the "humanize" function BFD 3 has, with a few additions (I prefer more complete FRs, so here the usual braindump):

1. Humanize velocity
2. Humanize timing

In addition to that:

a) Same timing offsets for all tracks (for a common feeling)

BUT:

b) Also ADDITIONAL (!) humanizations so the tracks are not TOO common (like musicians in a band still deviate in their timing from each other)

Now the bonus stuff:

i) Humanize tuning (which would help a lot with natural instruments, but I would use it for synthesizers, too)

---

Reasoning:

I often do the following thing:

1. Record drum pattern on keyboard
2. Quantize (my drum recording on keyboard is horrible)
3. Use BFD3 "humanize" function to make it sound real, big, amazing again (like one records vocals in a dead room to be able to add controlled, artificial reverb afterwards)

Now I would want:

a) Gain this ability for all my tracks, with a common feel
b) Don't have to record into BFD3, but use what Cubase offers
Chris, The Navigator... Keyboards, songwriting, CTO and aspiring coproducer for Visions of Atlantis.

PC watercooling and overclocking afficionado.

Main device: Cubase 7.5 64 bit on Windows 8.1 (4930k @ 4.1 GHz, 32 GB of RAM, 3 SSDs), Halion 5, Padshop Pro, RME Hammerfall DSP + Multiface, Avid Artist Control V2, Roland A88, AKG K701 headphones, lots of other nice stuff
Mobile cutlery: iPad Air 2, Cubasis (always the latest version), Audio Bus 2, Focusrite iTrack Dock, one or the other cheap USB MIDI keyboards

Favorite synthesizers: u-he DIVA, Padshop Pro, Halion 5

"Storms can't kill the faith in rainbows"
TheNavigator

Re: Humanize track / project

Postby Prock » Sat Nov 30, 2013 3:54 pm

TheNavigator wrote:
Reasoning:

I often do the following thing:

1. Record drum pattern on keyboard
2. Quantize (my drum recording on keyboard is horrible)
3. Use BFD3 "humanize" function to make it sound real, big, amazing again (like one records vocals in a dead room to be able to add controlled, artificial reverb afterwards)

Now I would want:

a) Gain this ability for all my tracks, with a common feel
b) Don't have to record into BFD3, but use what Cubase offers

+1 good example of when this really would come in handy. :)
PRock Studio

DAW: Cubase 7.5.30 (64bit), OS: Windows 7 x64 SP1, CPU: Intel Core 2 Quad Q9300 @ 2.5 GHz, RAM: 8GB, Graphics: 1024MB GeForce GTX 650, AI: PreSonus Firebox
Prock

Postby Fabio Bartolini » Sat Nov 30, 2013 4:57 pm

Hello,

a couple things I do in order to make sequenced drums sound a little more human, especially when sent to me by others:

1. Use, like you, the Humanize function (I use SD2, but I guess every drum sampler has this ;) )
2. Randomise the velocity - being into metal, I need quite some slap... so it is usually ranging from 100/110 to 127. I have set up a couple Logical Editor presets for this
3. Use a Transient designer that allows to trigger a random amount of processing (say, ranging from 60% to 100%), in order to have more natural and varying transient envelopes (works great on the snare, but it is useful also with the toms... I use MMultibandTransient for this)

Still, you made some interesting points, thanks!
Fabio Bartolini, Steinberg Tech Support
Steinberg Media Technologies GmbH
Hamburg, Germany

Check out Steinberg on YouTube, Twitter and Facebook!
Fabio Bartolini

Postby harcourt » Mon Dec 02, 2013 11:39 am

I'd like a user friendly, graphical based humanize feature to apply to any track...not just to percussion/drums. Maybe a track overlay that had adjustable horizontal sliders that varied the timing by user defined increments and resolution against a visual grid (even in the score editor); for the whole track or just specific regions. These adjusted parameters could ideally be saved and loaded as a library.

To complement this feature, you could have an auto 'intelligent' humanize feature that analysed the track and applied templates based on a preset library of genres/instrument types, that could be loaded, edited and saved.
Cubase 7.5.10 64bit, Dell M6600 laptop - i7 2920xm, 2.50 Ghz, 16GB RAM, Win7 64bit, Echo AudioFire Pre8. Panorama P6, MIDI controller keyboard.
harcourt

Postby C.LYDE101 » Mon Dec 02, 2013 1:01 pm

Definitely a cool idea :idea:

Coming from a more jazz/fusion/soul/funk perspective - I have to wonder, how would one, best adjust the kind of "humaness" . No 2 drummers are going play the same beat in exactly the same way - kick/snare/hihat harder or later or earlier etc.

Personally I've always thought the best approach was to 'capture' various real drummer performances and make that groove available. This is of-course already possible with Cubase, but not in a quick-grab-slider and tweak kinda way.

Suggestion:
Human groove slider, emphasising different elements of the beat.
Also being able to select the different kit part is important, and to apply to each part e.g. kick drum separately.
C.LYDE101

Postby harcourt » Mon Dec 02, 2013 2:06 pm

An addendum to my previous post:
Add an option to mix in randomness as a percentage to a quantized or humanized track/region - would add variability to a possibly predictable 'humanize' algorithm.
Cubase 7.5.10 64bit, Dell M6600 laptop - i7 2920xm, 2.50 Ghz, 16GB RAM, Win7 64bit, Echo AudioFire Pre8. Panorama P6, MIDI controller keyboard.
harcourt

Postby C.LYDE101 » Mon Dec 02, 2013 2:46 pm

Side note: the quantization presets have a Randomize option, which I quite enjoy
C.LYDE101

Postby wcb123 » Fri Dec 27, 2013 10:03 pm

booked
Windows x64 Pro
Award Modular BIOS v6.00PG
Intel i7 980 @3.33GHz (12 CPUs), ~3.4GHz
Memory - 48Gb

Cubase 7
NVIDIA GeForce GTS 250
Focusrite Saffire Pro24
Casio Privia 330
Quested s8r
wcb123

Postby raino » Sat Dec 28, 2013 9:24 pm

+1
rodger
Cubase7.5.2 Win7 Home premium 64bit, Halion5, BFD3, GPO, Komplete 9
i7 4771 Haswell Processor 3.5GHz, ADK LGA1150, 16GB RAM, RME Fireface 400, 2x UAD-2
raino

Postby mozizo » Sat Dec 28, 2013 10:51 pm

on midi tracks using midi modifiers in the inspector (or midi modifiers insert) can help humanize.

just use those setting like on the pic attached,and use values for your liking !
(in this example pic it randomize position and velocity of notes by the range specified)

midi modifiers.png
(44.42 KiB) Not downloaded yet
cubase 7.5.30 64bit ,halion 5
Sony vaioF13 i7 CPU win7 64bit 8gb
(PC Desktop AMD dual core win xp32 cubase 7-32)
Steinberg MR816csx ,MR816x ,UR44 ,CC121
Motif es6 Kawai Mp4 Korg PA800.
cubasis,cubase ic pro
mozizo

Postby raino » Sun Dec 29, 2013 9:43 pm

mozizo wrote:on midi tracks using midi modifiers in the inspector (or midi modifiers insert) can help humanize.

just use those setting like on the pic attached,and use values for your liking !
(in this example pic it randomize position and velocity of notes by the range specified)

You do have to take some care when doing this if you have notes of the same pitch directly following each other. Sometimes the note-on of the 2nd note will appear before the note-off of the 1st note. In that case the note-off will stop both the 1st & 2nd notes - effectively making the 2nd note randomly disappear. The way around this is to make sure the note length is shortened a bit. In the example shown all the note lengths should be shortened to end at least 22 ticks short of a full length whole, quarter, eighth note etc. It needs to be 22 because the first note could be delayed up to 10 and the second be as much as 11 early, so there is a potential area of overlap of 21.
rodger
i7 4771 Haswell Processor 3.5GHz, ADK LGA1150, 16GB RAM, RME Fireface 400, 2x UAD-2
raino

Postby mpayne0 » Mon Jan 06, 2014 4:47 pm

Humanize based off of density of notes, variable based off of velocity dynamics, maybe even be able to designate your own conditions where humanizing can work at different strengths based on qualifications.

So if I had a spacey simple song, but that song has vigorous drum breakdowns, only the drum breakdowns would be humanized...because they are of dense notes. Maybe I can tell "human" to slag or be upfront, or maybe I just have a slider to automate.

Great idea.
mpayne0

Postby CubeDAW » Mon Jan 06, 2014 5:15 pm

I have come to realize that a lot of these things people are asking for such as Humanize are totally possible with the Logical Editor however this tool is difficult to understand. All they really need to do is make more presets for the Logical Editor and organize them in a better way. The categories of the folders seem stupid.
CubeDAW

Postby mpayne0 » Mon Jan 06, 2014 9:54 pm

CubeDAW wrote:I have come to realize that a lot of these things people are asking for such as Humanize are totally possible with the Logical Editor however this tool is difficult to understand. All they really need to do is make more presets for the Logical Editor and organize them in a better way. The categories of the folders seem stupid.

The logical editor is great, but it's not quite the thing I want to get into when I'm trying to do music. It's a bit geeky, no offense to anyone, but I am strictly a dumb artist!
mpayne0

Postby raino » Tue Jan 07, 2014 1:18 am

mpayne0 wrote:
CubeDAW wrote:I have come to realize that a lot of these things people are asking for such as Humanize are totally possible with the Logical Editor however this tool is difficult to understand. All they really need to do is make more presets for the Logical Editor and organize them in a better way. The categories of the folders seem stupid.

The logical editor is great, but it's not quite the thing I want to get into when I'm trying to do music. It's a bit geeky, no offense to anyone, but I am strictly a dumb artist!

True the Logical Editor is geeky and trying to build a function while in the throes of musical inspiration likely will dampen the mood. However once a function is saved as a preset it is as easy to run as any built-in Cubase function - no need to even open the Logical Editor. For example I've got a preset that randomizes the current note velocity by -4 to +4. Takes about a half second to use and running it once or twice helps a bunch.

I was thinking maybe folks could post presets they've created that help humanize hand entered midi data. But then I discovered that we can't post xml files in the forum when I tried. :(
rodger
raino

Postby wcb123 » Tue Jan 07, 2014 5:52 pm

Theres a couple of really good guides on here about humanizing using the Logical Editor. Takes two minutes to input the data and save as preset.

I did that and then assigned a key shortcut to the preset. Now literally all i have to do is highlight the part and use Cntrl + Key. i do this for a few things, Humanise Quantise, Random Velocity etc.

Haven't got the thread link now but il find it. Worth doing.
Windows x64 Pro
Award Modular BIOS v6.00PG
Intel i7 980 @3.33GHz (12 CPUs), ~3.4GHz
Memory - 48Gb

Cubase 7
NVIDIA GeForce GTS 250
Focusrite Saffire Pro24
Casio Privia 330
Quested s8r
wcb123

Postby CubeDAW » Tue Jan 07, 2014 8:05 pm

Should have a forum section for user patches like they do at NI.
CubeDAW

Return to Feature Requests and Suggestions