What to do if you have problems with Cubase

Everything else...

What to do if you have problems with Cubase

Postby Svenne » Mon Dec 02, 2013 4:45 pm

Many people have stability problems and immediately blame Cubase! It my experience that most crashes are actually caused by thirdparty plugins, divers or other apps. Not by Cubase itself.

General complaining abuot "Cubase is unstable, Cubase only crashes, etc." helps noone. Before you complain, follow the following suggestions:

Install only the OS and Cubase on a second drive (no drivers, no 3rd-party plugins, etc). Is it still unstable? If not, then something else is causing your crashes! Install your drivers one by one test and restart you system between each install. Note the install order. If Cubase becomes unstable after you've installed, let's say "x1.vst".

Remove all plug-ins. Now reinstall "x1.vst". Is Cubase still unstable? If yes, this plug-in is not fully compatible with Cubase. If not, then proceed and install and test the other plug-ins on your list in the reverse order, until Cubase becomes unstable again with, let's say "y1.vst".

Now remove all 3rd-party plug-ins again and reinstall "x1.vst" and "y1.vst". Is Cubase still unstable. If yes, you've found the cause "x1.vst" and "y1.vst" are incompatible with each other. If not, you may need to test with adding other plug-ins between "x1.vst" and "y1.vst" on your list. Sometimes a combination of 3 or more plug-ins are needed to cause the problem.
I am sure that the majority of crashed that Cubase is blamed for is actually caused by rouge 3rd-party plug-in.

And this is most important. Is the problem repeatable?

Yes, this is quite a bit of work, but you'll find the real culprits. There is no point in bantering on Steinberg or Cubase for problems caused by someone else. A clear description of when, and what actions you took when the problem occurred, help others (including Steinberg's engineers) to help you. General ranting does not.

Hard-drives are dirt cheep these days so there in no reason not to have a spare test-drive lying around.
Cubase 7.5.30 [64bit] + IC Pro, WaveLab Elements 8, Cubasis 1.8.1 Mac Pro 2.8GHz 8-core 8GB, 10.9.4 (Mavericks), Firewire Audiofile (to be replaced), iPad Air (128GB)
Svenne

Re: What to do if you have problems with Cubase

Postby Svenne » Mon Dec 02, 2013 5:58 pm

johnstaf wrote:The stability of Cubase is an important issue that Steve was trying to address.

Steves issue was with Cubase 7 in general, not with regard to Cubase 7.5.

johnstaf wrote:Please don't try to appoint yourself as a moderator.

I don't, but I do take heed when a moderator issues a warning.
Cubase 7.5.30 [64bit] + IC Pro, WaveLab Elements 8, Cubasis 1.8.1 Mac Pro 2.8GHz 8-core 8GB, 10.9.4 (Mavericks), Firewire Audiofile (to be replaced), iPad Air (128GB)
Svenne

Postby NWP » Mon Dec 02, 2013 7:15 pm

What's been written here that isn't already in the Knowledge Base? :?
NWP

Postby Svenne » Mon Dec 02, 2013 8:25 pm

NWP wrote:What's been written here that isn't already in the Knowledge Base? :?

Apparent something since all the ranting about how unstable Cubase is, shows that there are a lot of people here who don't know how investigate problems. We just had one discussion wrecked by it.
Svenne

Postby NWP » Mon Dec 02, 2013 8:55 pm

I'll let the fact that this got moved to misc speak for itself. Nothing here that hasn't been said 1,000 times before.
NWP

Postby Svenne » Mon Dec 02, 2013 10:48 pm

NWP wrote:Nothing here that hasn't been said 1,000 times before.

That may be so, but apparently it's not enough. Proven by the multitude of pointless "Cubase sucks" and "Cubase is unstable" postings that litters the forum. And often causes moderators to lock viable topics, when they are overrun by these rantings.
Svenne

Postby curteye » Tue Dec 03, 2013 1:28 am

Svenne wrote: my experience that most crashes are actually caused by thirdparty plugins, divers or other apps. Not by Cubase itself.

A major +1
{'-'}
If yer gear ain't breakin down, you aint workin' much.

iMac i7 2.8Gz 16GB 10.9...../C5.5/6.5/7.5
Mbook 2.4Gz 4GB 10.7.5.../C5.5/6.5/7.5
Mac Pro w/3 4k monitors.
On-line in Jan 2015

On the side of a volcano in the middle of the Pacific Ocean.
curteye
Grand Senior Member

Postby knuckle47 » Tue Dec 03, 2013 3:30 am

I realize that I have made similar comments in other discussions a year back. I tend to think any added code that tries to take a position held critically by Cubase will likely cause a potential lockup. I'd bet many of us have had this happen even with a word processor macro, I know I have

Svenne, nice job on that one
PC Win 7 64bit | VST Instrument Collection | i7 3930 | 32gb Corsair ram : MOTU 896 HD FireWire, Samsung 840 Pro SSD 256gb Win 7 OS | 2nd Crucial 64gb with Cubase 7.5.2| WD 2 TB Caviar Black | 500gb project drive | Cubasis and iPad 4th 64gb. Guitarist not really a keyboard player, but tryin' like hell
knuckle47

Postby AP » Tue Dec 03, 2013 3:42 am

Anyone knows if any of the plugins listed in my signature are known for crashing Cubase?

Thanks
Cubase 7.5.30, 15" MacBook Pro i7, SSD, 16 GB Ram, OSX 10.9.5 UR28M, CMC.
AP

Postby AAMedia » Wed Dec 04, 2013 5:30 am

AP wrote:Anyone knows if any of the plugins listed in my signature are known for crashing Cubase?

I can't say that I do, but it's possible that there are times when a third party plug-in may have an issue with something specific to your system and causes Cubase to crash. It may not be a direct conflict with Cubase. I've heard all sorts of complaints from users relating to plug-ins that crash Cubase. I've owned many of those plug-ins myself, but have never had an issue with using them in the same version of Cubase placed in question. This is probably because my system is not identical to those of the people making the complaints. As Svenne mentioned, drivers and other apps can also be causing the issue. Most of my situations ended up relating to a recently installed driver. I can't remember the last time, if ever, something was confirmed as having related to a third party plug-in for me, although there are some that I've never owned which have been reported numerous times as being incompatible. For the most part, over the years, every version I've had of Cubase has functioned very well with few problems other than noted bugs in a version which were later fixed by Steinberg. I've used Cubase since Cubase VST many years ago and it's always been a very stable program for me.

As to the apparent reason for this thread, as an observer of some of the recent arguments and locked threads, while it's pretty obvious that the forum members initiating the problems had gone off topic and got out of line, some of the moderators appear to have provided somewhat unprofessional responses prior to locking the thread. That too is very disappointing to see. It's not going unnoticed by us users. My personal belief is that if the other forum participants can simply ignore a person who is complaining or goes off topic, they will go away. That might avoid moderator involvement and the rest of us can then continue with the thread without having it locked. Continuing to fuel a rant by arguing with the person who complains over and over just keeps it alive and nothing good ever comes of it.
PC - Core i7-3930K Sandy Bridge E (6 core) @ 4.5 GHz (overclocked), 16 GB RAM, Windows 7 Pro 64 bit, Cubase 7.5 64 bit, Steinberg UR28M, Focusrite VRM Box (monitor speaker emulation)
AAMedia

Postby AP » Wed Dec 04, 2013 6:20 am

Thanks for the advice guys. I visited knowledge based. It also said that third party plugins can crash cubase on closing or quitting which is my only issue at the moment. Never crashes while working on a project. Never lost work.

Therefore instead of uninstalling my third party plugins I simply deactivated them from C 7.0.6 and I noticed instant performance improvements. Cubase starts, loads, closes projects and quits much faster. No crashing, unexpectedly quits or hanging.

It's looking good and very stable I will keep my fingers crossed maybe that did the trick.

I love my NI plugs which I can always use with C 6.5.5 I hope.

As for the 7.5 topic I must admit that I would like to upgrade eventually if my issue has been resolved.
Because a lot of Mac users have no issues with cubase 7.0.6.
Last edited by AP on Fri Dec 06, 2013 4:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
Cubase 7.5.30, 15" MacBook Pro i7, SSD, 16 GB Ram, OSX 10.9.5 UR28M, CMC.
AP

Postby DavidR1 » Wed Dec 04, 2013 9:31 pm

I found YellowTools crashed my system in 6.5. when it was removed no problems.

bought version 7 last year ended up getting an external sound card due to audio drop outs.

My computer died in the storm we had in the UK last month caused a power cut and the power surge that killed my desktop and my laptop.

My current computer is super duper souped up and audio drop outs are just as bad even worse.

This just cant be coincidence as my new PC has beats audio in it etc.. 16 gb of memory etc well in excess of the specs required.

Version 7 has not worked wince last year.

The only VST I did add recently was one of those DSKs ones that are free. Sorry also bluecat ones in the link from the SB website.
Processor Intel® Core™ i7-4770 (3.4 GHz, 8 MB cache, 4 cores) Haswell Memory 16 GB DDR3
Hard drive 2 TB 7200 rpm SATA Optical drive DVD SATA writer Nvdida Geforce GTZ 660
DavidR1

Postby DavidR1 » Thu Dec 05, 2013 9:13 pm

Yes I can confirm that version 7.5 is as crap as version 7.0.6.

Audio drop outs everywhere.

Corrupted files.

instruments at different pitches to the original.
Processor Intel® Core™ i7-4770 (3.4 GHz, 8 MB cache, 4 cores) Haswell Memory 16 GB DDR3
Hard drive 2 TB 7200 rpm SATA Optical drive DVD SATA writer Nvdida Geforce GTZ 660
DavidR1

Postby Svenne » Thu Dec 05, 2013 10:28 pm

DavidR1 wrote:Yes I can confirm that version 7.5 is as crap as version 7.0.6.

Corrupted files.

This is a good example of the useless ranting, that was the reason I posted this topic in the first place.

DavidR1, have tried the procedure described out in the first posting?
Svenne

Postby BriHar » Fri Dec 06, 2013 6:30 pm

DavidR1 wrote:My current computer is super duper souped up and audio drop outs are just as bad even worse.
This just cant be coincidence as my new PC has beats audio in it etc.. 16 gb of memory etc well in excess of the specs required...

Must be Cubase then eh?
Couldn't be your computer is super duper souped up in the wrong direction maybe?

DavidR1 wrote:Yes I can confirm that version 7.5 is as crap as version 7.0.6.
Corrupted files.

Actually I think your PC is crap for serious DAW application. You can put racing tires on any car but it won't make it go faster ;)
...yes I think it can be easily done, just take everything down to Highway 61.

Sun Point Studio Turbenthal, Switzerland

Cubase 7.5.30 - 64bit | Cubase AI7 | WaveLab 8 - 64bit | PT10 | UR28M | UR44 | CMC-PD/4xFD/QC/AI/CH/TP | BCF2000 | Shuttlexpress | Graphire Tablet | Cubendo Custom Keyboard | Lenovo E31 Workstation:Xeon E3-1225V2/3.2GHz; 8GB DDR3 SDRAM; 2x Intel-Flash520 SSD 180GB (C:/D:);1TB 7200rpm Sata3 (F:); DVD RW (E:); Ext. 3TB USB3 Freecom + WD 1TB; Nvidea GeForce GT 630 4GB DDR3 Video Ram AGP PCIE | Win 7 Pro 64 Bit
BriHar

Postby DavidR1 » Fri Dec 06, 2013 8:00 pm

Ok kn*b brain 1 - yes I did on my old pc and my new one and exactly the same issue.

To kn*b brain 2 I repeat computer one was good when I got it about 3 yrs back. however a power spike killed it. My new pc is specifically designed for audio in mind.

so before both of you go running and clicking the warning signs for bad language think about your condescending comments.

I stand by what I have said if 7.06 wasn't fixed and we now jump to 7.5 but are told that 7.06 is still to be updated why the need for an update?

SB has a publicity problem here which they need to address.

1 paying for an UPDATE clearly says that in the website.

it is not an upgrade.

An update should fix a flaw in the software.

Yet they will still be offering an update to 7.06 free to those who do not update to 7.5 apparently.

That is double standards.

If I buy Mcafee it cover me for a year no quibble.

next year I buy the newest version and I get my same offer.

Mcafee don't say well actually you have 2013 antivurus but we think you need to have 2013.5 but you have to pay for it.

SB need to stop kidding its customers and treat them fairly. this has to be version 8 not 7.5. if you don't upgrade no more updates pre 7.5 end of!

But if you look through this thread I am not alone in saying that there is a humungous issue on some pcs with audio drop outs.

now it may be something as stupid wireless keyboard and mouse are at issue. If so SB should be looking at this and advising.
DavidR1

Postby BriHar » Fri Dec 06, 2013 8:33 pm

Come back when you've matured a bit.
...yes I think it can be easily done, just take everything down to Highway 61.

Sun Point Studio Turbenthal, Switzerland

Cubase 7.5.30 - 64bit | Cubase AI7 | WaveLab 8 - 64bit | PT10 | UR28M | UR44 | CMC-PD/4xFD/QC/AI/CH/TP | BCF2000 | Shuttlexpress | Graphire Tablet | Cubendo Custom Keyboard | Lenovo E31 Workstation:Xeon E3-1225V2/3.2GHz; 8GB DDR3 SDRAM; 2x Intel-Flash520 SSD 180GB (C:/D:);1TB 7200rpm Sata3 (F:); DVD RW (E:); Ext. 3TB USB3 Freecom + WD 1TB; Nvidea GeForce GT 630 4GB DDR3 Video Ram AGP PCIE | Win 7 Pro 64 Bit
BriHar

Postby WilliamTCook » Wed Dec 11, 2013 9:11 am

I'll side with him on the bizarro issues occuring in 7.5. I've had the control room meter shrink to an inch tall with a giant white square below it, nonfunctioning buttons, the whole session locked to mono regardless of what the actual routing is but outputting lopsidedly between the left and right, mixer name bars missing altogether for about 5 minutes, Click button and click not functioning, and the list goes on. Complete reinstall, preferences deleted, worse issues. Problems seem to migrate partially from session to session. I've had plugins jack with me before, but anyone ever seen it absolutely go batty on the graphics and basic i/o functionality like that? FYI the latest version of 7 has been rock solid for me for a while now so I'm not sure why the giant difference in 7.5 vs that.
WilliamTCook

Return to Miscellaneous