7.5 - any fixes ?

Read only! Questions regarding the update or upgrade to Cubase 7, Cubase Artist 7 and Cubase Elements 7.

7.5 - any fixes ?

Postby Rhino » Wed Dec 04, 2013 7:07 pm

Since there is no demo for 7.5 and the version history is as good as empty - could anybody please post info how 7.5 behaves compared to 7.06 regarding :

1. key command focus bug
    2. workspace recall
    3. mixer views recall, and are they finally included in workspaces
    4. mixer zoom recall

Any other info about fixes / remaining bugs / new ones more than welcome too (the info, not the bugs :? )
Thanks a bunch,
Rhino
When you tear out a man's tongue, you are not proving him a liar, you're only telling the world that you fear what he might say.
(George R.R. Martin)
Rhino

Re: 7.5 - any fixes ?

Postby Rhino » Wed Dec 04, 2013 9:34 pm

... anybody ?
When you tear out a man's tongue, you are not proving him a liar, you're only telling the world that you fear what he might say.
(George R.R. Martin)
Rhino

Postby sasha-che » Wed Dec 04, 2013 9:46 pm

One bug that annoys me a lot isn't fixed: viewtopic.php?f=184&t=45273&p=312764#p312764

Another frustrating thing (not really a bug, rather a feature introduced): viewtopic.php?f=181&t=51246&p=312745#p312745

As for your list, I'm not sure what you're talking about, if you describe in detail, what exactly should we (users of 7.5) check, I'll be glad to be of help.
Macbook Pro 15" Late 2011 8Gb | OSX Mavericks 10.9 | Cubase 7.5.20, 6.0.7, 5.5.3 | Logic 9.1.8 | Logic X | Halion Sonic 2 | HSO | WIVI Band
Yamaha P90 | AKAI EWI USB | AKAI MPK MINI
Godin Freeway SA | Yamaha SLG100NW | Ibanez AEG-10E
Line PODxt | Roland VG-8 | Roland GR-30
sasha-che

Postby fireinthefishtank » Wed Dec 04, 2013 10:14 pm

mixer zoom recall bug is back here!!!

Going back to 7.06,. ...Well, I wasn't holding my breath anyway.
fireinthefishtank

Postby Outsounder » Wed Dec 04, 2013 11:05 pm

Download the 7.5 Version History PDF. There's no mention of bug fixes, but quite a list of known issues!
Main-Intel i7/Asus mobo/Gforce GPU/16gig ram. Secondary-Intel Q9950/Asus mobo/Radeon GPU/8gig ram. Win 764bit, Cubase 6.5 & 7.5, Studio One 2 Pro, ACID, Ableton Live, Sonic Core Scope DSP Audio System, Roland VMC 7200-48 Channel Digital Mixing System & Focal Monitors. Software includes NI Komplete 8, East West Play Libraries, Heavyocity Libraries, Sample Logic Libraries Best Service Libraries, Sonokinetic Libraries, 8Dio Libraries,Project Sam Libaries, Sound Iron Libraries,Melodyne Pro, Uberschall Elastic & Liquid Libraries.
Outsounder

Postby Rhino » Wed Dec 04, 2013 11:13 pm

sasha-che,
thanks for posting your experience !
I can perfectly see how these issues would be annoying on a single screen.

I'm coming from the opposite side of the spectrum personally, 3 large screens, each workspace having some kind of mixer window and some kind of arrange window simultaneously, plus a variety of smaller windows.
That's where these bugs combined make any fast work impossible in 7.06. :cry:
I try to explain in detail, it's not that esoteric with Cubase in front of you.
1. Up to 6.5, keycommands work regardless if mixer or arrange window have focus, fast, convenient, no issues as the KCs are specific anyway
In 7.0x you have to activate the target window first, by mouse click (!), before its KCs work - total showstopper.
You're in arrange and want to check e.g. sends, which are typically hidden (even large screens have their limits) - in 6.5 it's a single keystroke to show them, and a 2nd identical one to hide them again - that's fast.
In 7.0x it's like : fumble for mouse, move cursor across the screens, click in mixer window to activate focus, do the two KCs, move mouse back, click to reactivate arrange window's focus - wtf ?
2., partially related to 4. - workspaces don't always recall the mixer like it was saved, especially mixer zoom is erratic, out of the blue all channels show up in full width Kermit mode and won't go back to normal, tons of stuff like that, never a dull moment. :?
And then, several visibility aspects of the mixer are not saved with workspaces - I'd expect wyswyg for everything that's not track specific, and I'd expect them to be transferable to other projects via global workspaces - like it used to be up to 6.5.
3. the "rack configuration preset buttons", let's call them mixer views, don't have dedicated KCs, don't get saved with workspaces, and, most absurd, can't be transferred/applied to other, already existing projects, unlike workspaces. You have to rebuild them from scratch every time ... :roll:

Somehow that's typical for 7.0x imho, lots of basically great ideas, unfortunately not really finished so they could actually help the user, broken basic functionality instead - a year after release.
That's why I'm asking what is fixed in 7.5 - the price is not an issue, but I won't buy 7.5 unless these biggies are fixed.

Cheers, ymmv,
Rhino
(George R.R. Martin)
Rhino

Postby Rhino » Wed Dec 04, 2013 11:15 pm

fireinthefishtank wrote:mixer zoom recall bug is back here!!!

Going back to 7.06,. ...Well, I wasn't holding my breath anyway.

thanks, not what I wanted to hear. :(
(George R.R. Martin)
Rhino

Postby Altostratus » Wed Dec 04, 2013 11:19 pm

How about Cubase 8: "No New Features"?
Cubase Pro 8.0 & VEP 5.3. OS X Yosemite 10.10.1, Mac Pro 2009 Quad 2.66, 24gb RAM, RME Fireface UC.
Altostratus

Postby Steve Helstrip » Wed Dec 04, 2013 11:20 pm

@Rhino

I had similar problems in 7.06 with Workspace recall. However, after a full day on 7.5 I have not encountered any problems. At all.

I'm feeling much better about 7.5 than any other 7.x version. Feels more polished - what 7.0 should have been.
Mac Pro i7, 12Gb, OSX10.9 MacBook Pro i7, 4Gb, OSX10.10.1
Cubase 8
Vienna Ensemble Pro 5.

http://www.thethrillseekers.co.uk
http://www.twitter.com/stevehelstrip
http://www.facebook.com/thrillseekersofficial
Steve Helstrip

Postby Rhino » Wed Dec 04, 2013 11:29 pm

Outsounder wrote:Download the 7.5 Version History PDF. There's no mention of bug fixes, but quite a list of known issues!

thanks, did so hours ago, no mention of all these workflow issues.
bugs existing and bugs being officially acknowledged are two different things.
----------------
in general :
before anybody jumps in with the one-size-kills-all "delete preferences" mantra - the mentioned issues are present on every system I tried, fresh installs, upgrades, with or without existing preferences alike.
And they're not hardware specific either, other than some of them mainly refer to multiple screens ...

cheers,
Rhino
(George R.R. Martin)
Rhino

Postby Rhino » Wed Dec 04, 2013 11:45 pm

Steve Helstrip wrote:@Rhino

I had similar problems in 7.06 with Workspace recall. However, after a full day on 7.5 I have not encountered any problems. At all.

I'm feeling much better about 7.5 than any other 7.x version. Feels more polished - what 7.0 should have been.

thanks, Steve, sounds hopeful !
Any chance of trying two quick workspace tests ?
- switch between 2 almost identical WS, one with sends shown and no routing (saved as view preset 1), one with routing and no sends (saved as view preset 2) - but switch the WS, not the mixer view presets !
- switch between one WS with arrange on screen 1 and mixer on screen 2, and another with the mixer stretched across both screens (all inside the main Cubase window, mixer not AOT, not fullscreen) - does mixer zoom recall reliably ?
- is there a way now to export / import mixer view presets between existing projects ?

still hoping for the best,
Rhino
(George R.R. Martin)
Rhino

Postby curteye » Thu Dec 05, 2013 12:01 am

Pluses and minuses all over the map.

Guess I'll be waiting for quite a while for the dust to clear.
{'-'}
If yer gear ain't breakin down, you aint workin' much.

iMac i7 2.8Gz 16GB 10.9...../C5.5/6.5/7.5
Mbook 2.4Gz 4GB 10.7.5.../C5.5/6.5/7.5

On the side of a volcano in the middle of the Pacific Ocean.
curteye
Grand Senior Member

Postby Rhino » Thu Dec 05, 2013 12:14 am

curteye wrote:Pluses and minuses all over the map.

Guess I'll be waiting for quite a while for the dust to clear.
{'-'}

Well, I don't expect perfection, I'm willing to put up with lots of inconstencies in new features, as long as basic workflow including KCs and WS is repaired or an adequate alternative is offered.
I heard a rumour somewhere that mixer views have gotten KCs, are they part of WS now ?
Maybe that could provide a workaround for that ugly focus bug, dunno ?

cheers,
Rhiino
(George R.R. Martin)
Rhino

Postby mrjixies » Thu Dec 05, 2013 9:50 am

Rhino wrote:sasha-che,
thanks for posting your experience !
I can perfectly see how these issues would be annoying on a single screen.

I'm coming from the opposite side of the spectrum personally, 3 large screens, each workspace having some kind of mixer window and some kind of arrange window simultaneously, plus a variety of smaller windows.
That's where these bugs combined make any fast work impossible in 7.06. :cry:
I try to explain in detail, it's not that esoteric with Cubase in front of you.
1. Up to 6.5, keycommands work regardless if mixer or arrange window have focus, fast, convenient, no issues as the KCs are specific anyway
In 7.0x you have to activate the target window first, by mouse click (!), before its KCs work - total showstopper.
You're in arrange and want to check e.g. sends, which are typically hidden (even large screens have their limits) - in 6.5 it's a single keystroke to show them, and a 2nd identical one to hide them again - that's fast.
In 7.0x it's like : fumble for mouse, move cursor across the screens, click in mixer window to activate focus, do the two KCs, move mouse back, click to reactivate arrange window's focus - wtf ?
2., partially related to 4. - workspaces don't always recall the mixer like it was saved, especially mixer zoom is erratic, out of the blue all channels show up in full width Kermit mode and won't go back to normal, tons of stuff like that, never a dull moment. :?
And then, several visibility aspects of the mixer are not saved with workspaces - I'd expect wyswyg for everything that's not track specific, and I'd expect them to be transferable to other projects via global workspaces - like it used to be up to 6.5.
3. the "rack configuration preset buttons", let's call them mixer views, don't have dedicated KCs, don't get saved with workspaces, and, most absurd, can't be transferred/applied to other, already existing projects, unlike workspaces. You have to rebuild them from scratch every time ... :roll:

Somehow that's typical for 7.0x imho, lots of basically great ideas, unfortunately not really finished so they could actually help the user, broken basic functionality instead - a year after release.
That's why I'm asking what is fixed in 7.5 - the price is not an issue, but I won't buy 7.5 unless these biggies are fixed.

Cheers, ymmv,
Rhino

I have the same problem as you, 3 monitors. Plugins go into hide mode (even if you told them not to) and the worst is of course you have to click the mixer manually to get it in focus. Now I really would love to know if this is fixed in 7.5???
Processor: Intel i7 2600K
Motherboard: Intel DP67BG
Ram: 16GB Kingston DDR3 1333Mhz 1.5v
Graphics: Zotac GeForce GTX 560 1GB
HD: SSD OCZ Vertex 3 120GB, 3 Seagate Barracuda 1TB
Audio: TC Electronic Desktop Konnekt 6
MIDI: Edirol UM-2EX

Software: Cubase 7.0.2
mrjixies

Postby mrjixies » Fri Dec 06, 2013 9:27 am

Could someone with version 7.5 please check this?
Processor: Intel i7 2600K
Motherboard: Intel DP67BG
Ram: 16GB Kingston DDR3 1333Mhz 1.5v
Graphics: Zotac GeForce GTX 560 1GB
HD: SSD OCZ Vertex 3 120GB, 3 Seagate Barracuda 1TB
Audio: TC Electronic Desktop Konnekt 6
MIDI: Edirol UM-2EX

Software: Cubase 7.0.2
mrjixies

Postby greggybud » Sun Dec 08, 2013 4:37 am

Regarding key command and mixer focus issues I think its important to state if you use always on top and the full screen mode.

I may be misunderstanding you but I can navigate from project page to any of the 3 mixers simply by alt+tab. Rotating through each mixer.

Problem is focus within the mixer. I find the focus functions within the mix console worthless since you end up "scrolling" through so many focus areas. If anyone could educate me further in this topic please do so. This is all about fast workflow which obviously is a low priority with Steinberg.

And of course there is a KC for going back to the project page at any time.

I use 4 screens. 3 mostly used for the 3 mixers and 1 dedicated to the project page.
Windows 7 x64, Wavelab 8, Cubase 7.5 x64, i7, 16g, SSD, 4 monitors, iCon QconPro, 4 TB HD, UAD-2, NI, Waves Mercury, and way too many synthesizers.
greggybud

Postby BriHar » Sun Dec 08, 2013 9:24 pm

According to a recent interview with Helge Vogt (in german), there should be a 7.07 bugfix update in January 2014 for those still using 7.0x.
...yes I think it can be easily done, just take everything down to Highway 61.

Sun Point Studio Turbenthal, Switzerland

Cubase 8.0.0 - 64bit | Cubase AI7 | WaveLab 8.5.20 - 64bit | PT10 | UR28M | UR44 | CMC-PD/4xFD/QC/AI/CH/TP | BCF2000 | Shuttlexpress | Graphire Tablet | Cubendo Custom Keyboard | Lenovo E31 Workstation:Xeon E3-1225V2/3.2GHz; 14GB DDR3 SDRAM; 2x Intel-Flash520 SSD 180GB (C:/D:);1TB 7200rpm Sata3 (F:); DVD RW (E:); Ext. 3TB USB3 Freecom + WD 1TB; Nvidea GeForce GT 630 4GB DDR3 Video Ram AGP PCIE | Win 7 Pro 64 Bit
BriHar

Postby Rhino » Mon Dec 09, 2013 11:21 pm

greggybud wrote:Regarding key command and mixer focus issues I think its important to state if you use always on top and the full screen mode.

I may be misunderstanding you but I can navigate from project page to any of the 3 mixers simply by alt+tab. Rotating through each mixer.

Problem is focus within the mixer. I find the focus functions within the mix console worthless since you end up "scrolling" through so many focus areas. If anyone could educate me further in this topic please do so. This is all about fast workflow which obviously is a low priority with Steinberg.
And of course there is a KC for going back to the project page at any time.

- traditional config here - main window stretched across 2 screens, mixer not AOT, all child windows inside the main window except some plugins on a 3rd, smaller screen outside the main window (magnifier), heavy workspace usage
works flawless up to 6.5

- I'm aware of alt+tab and the new mixer focus KC, thanks anyway, but "simply" ?
A single keystroke vs up to 4 or more dual keystrokes - not acceptable, sorry.
I use a highly optimized set of KCs, most bread-and-butter stuff accessible with single keys or from 2x BCR2000 controllers (as GR devices they suffer from the identical bug, unfortunately)

- Perfectly agreed, the issue goes deeper, like e.g. the various zones you mentioned.

- workflow is a close #2, directly after stability (which is fine here in 7, btw, just like it always was)

ymmv,
Rhino
(George R.R. Martin)
Rhino

Postby Rhino » Mon Dec 09, 2013 11:38 pm

BriHar wrote:According to a recent interview with Helge Vogt (in german), there should be a 7.07 bugfix update in January 2014 for those still using 7.0x.
Thanks, struggled my way through it, half the time and sans the weird clowning (not even remotely funny) of one of them would've been better ...
Re the semi-announced 7.07 - not necessarily my concern I'm afraid.
Either the focus- and mixer zoom issues will be fixed (and no new bugs introduced) - then I'll upgrade to 7.5x anyway.
My complaints are not of the cheapskate variety.
Or the bugs remain, then the 7.07 won't really help me a lot, sorry.

Thanks for the heads-up though,
Rhino
(George R.R. Martin)
Rhino

Postby greggybud » Tue Dec 10, 2013 2:36 am

Rhino wrote:
greggybud wrote:- I'm aware of alt+tab and the new mixer focus KC, thanks anyway, but "simply" ?
A single keystroke vs up to 4 or more dual keystrokes - not acceptable, sorry.

Its control + tab right? I wrote my reply when I was out of the studio.

Yeah...you have to use 2 fingers for ctr + tab. :D

I am working almost identical to you. No full screens, no AOT, and stretched over 4 screens.

When it comes to key commands I'm a novice but isn't ctr+tab a general windows key command? If you or anyone else knows of additional focus KC's I would love to know of them.

KC's seem to be a very low priority for Steinberg. And since Steinberg insists on adding more nifty features to attract new users, it makes KC's that much more difficult to implement....ie new console in Cubase7. Considering all users, it's probably a very small percentage that even use KC's.
Windows 7 x64, Wavelab 8, Cubase 7.5 x64, i7, 16g, SSD, 4 monitors, iCon QconPro, 4 TB HD, UAD-2, NI, Waves Mercury, and way too many synthesizers.
greggybud

Postby Rhino » Tue Dec 10, 2013 9:37 am

Hi greggybud,
yes, it's probably ctrl + tab, alt + tab typically switches between programs. Sorry for any confusion ...
I tend to use my controllers and single keystrokes for almost everything, more often than not I have a guitar in hand while working, guitars are a lot more unpredictable to handle than a keyboard, you learn to streamline your aerobics a bit ... :lol:

Steinberg always used to be leaders with stuff like KCs, workspaces, controllers and workflow in general, not any more, it seems. :?
The notebook- and tablet generation has taken over ...
The more hours you spend in front of any complex software with clients breathing down your neck, the more likely you'll be interested in workflow boosts, and what could be faster than KCs and WS ? 8-)
Well, at least before brain-to-bitwig hits the market.
That said, can't put my finger on it, but there has to be a serious problem delaying its release, and it's not bitwig, which is perfect, as we all know. :P

Re focus tricks, you know about the "project focus" KC, the only other, very dirty and slow workaround would be to close a window and open it again, e.g. F3 > F3 to achieve mixer focus, works as a macro too, unfortunately not consistent, and the danger of mixer zoom going out of whack on F3 doesn't help either. :x

ymmv,
Rhino
(George R.R. Martin)
Rhino

Postby Rudi007 » Thu Dec 12, 2013 8:14 pm

More stuff has been broken...
Full time Music Producer - Stone Studios International
I only use legal software ! ! !
Studio : Windows7 64 Bit, Intel Core i7, 16GB
Home: MacBook Pro, OSX Mavericks, i7 8GB
Cubase 7.5.20, Pro Tools 11, UAD2, WAVES, FABFILTER, STEVEN SLATE, SOUND TOYZ, BBE, VALHALLADSL, LEXICON
Rudi007

Return to Presales