Track Instruments vs. Rack Instruments in Cubase 7.5

You really has run out of arguments, haven’t you? F.Y.I. I don’t live in a cave, do you?

Isn’t that where knuckle-dragging trolls live? Or maybe you’re under a bridge somewhere???

:bulb: Ah - now I’ve got it:

“Omnisphere A” for “Accordion”
“Omnisphere B” for “Bass”
“Omnisphere C” for “Clarinet”
“Omnisphere D” for “Drums”
“Omnisphere S” for “Synth”
“Omnisphere Z” for “Zither”

I tell you what, since it seems super important for you to have the last word, why don’t you say whatever pointless, idiotic thing you apparently need to say. I won’t respond and then you can claim the pathetic “victory” you obviously need to feel better about your sad, worthless self. Will that work for you?

I tried the new instrument track today.
For now, I will be sticking to my usual method of the instruments rack, as it does not seem to be possible to change the audio-routing of an instrument track in the track inspector (unless I overlooked something).
It is possible in the Mixconsole, so I guess it might be an oversight…

There’s issues with both tracks and racks at the moment. Racks are (or were) the method of choice for sheer versatility and editing power, the problem now is, if you can’t unload a vsti and leave an empty slot. The whole rack moves up one and all the instrument id’s change, disastrous consequences if you have a a really large project as all finely tweaked.

With the new track concept, there’s seemingly naming and saving problems, plus if you add another track it goes to the top and seemingly pushes everything down, again the consequences for huge projects could be a disaster.

The new rack itself needs a bit of work on the GUI as well, its a bit out of proportion really and the fonts above the control knobs are hardly eligible as well as a lack of frame highlighting which instrument you’ve just clicked on…typical of a new SB release lol

Enable some outputs for the instrument and they will be available in the Inspector in the inspector from the Instrument Channel>Output tab.

I agree, the look is not quite right.

I find this concept really confusing, I don’t like having all the VSTi’s in the rack. And I don’t understand the difference between racks and tracks.

IMHO there’s no difference, SB just kept the rack instruments for retro compatibility with previous projects, but they have now both the same function.

I hope SB will improve this “thing” in the C7.5.x life cycle.

If you need multi-timbral vst, there is no point to go with track instruments, even with the new system.

I don’t understand the implementation of the new rack at all, it seems to me that nothing has changed

Instrument tracks appear to be a bit “neater” in a busy arrange environment…but they don’t seem to offer “MIDI sends” - which I use alot…I think I’m sticking to racks for now.

IMHO there’s no difference, SB just kept the rack instruments for retro compatibility with previous projects, but they have now both the same function.

No I don’t think so, the rack is an established key feature and offer real power and flexibility which has bee added to ten fold in 7.5 with the addition of the built in quick controls, it’s going to be a really exciting step forward IF they can get it right and not leave it half finished like they have the MC.

I can’t understand why they plonk an unsightly features the size of tablet that blocks out a fair portion of a smaller screen! The controller knobs and the potential they present a user with is superb and should be a joy to use, but you can’t read the bloody legending, the fonts are awful and of course there’s not enough of them!

Many instrument libraries have really deep user interfaces with knobs and buttons sliders doing all manner of wonderful things to sounds, for example, Sample Logic, Heavyocity, Sound Iron and 8dio libraries to name a few have a wealth of control functions buried away in different pages of the GUI which have traditionally been a pain to use with hardware control, but this new rack paves the way for truly imaginative control assignments. Personally it’s a highlight here BUT they need to slim it down, narrow the instrument name slot down and make room for another row of knobs or buttons to make it truly versatile.

They also need to enable a narrow empty slot system as well so people know what’s where or was there and importantly leave all the routing of the others intact. And of course, you need to know which is the active slot you’ve currently or just selected. It is a really exciting step forward, it’s going to br fantastic when finished properly, preferably slimmed down to near the size of the old rack.

Imagine what you could do with a whole rack full of synths all before your very eyes, all able to be controlled right there in one place in front of you, far better than going through editors and calling up synths one by one from a track eh? And being able to call them all back as a saved rack in any new project, fantastic, better start posting, reminding them and keeping the pressure on them until they listen.

Before people jump in and start trolling, lets not descend into person to person slandering, post like this and others are not whining and complaining, its debating issues that effect us all, we are pushing for changes that are needed and I think a lot more people should be taking part in the lobbying!

The ultimate synth rack setup already exists if you are willing to use Vienna Ensemble. You can place 128 VSTi’s in the “rack” and route MIDI to the instruments via regular MIDI tracks in Cubase. You can either mix within Ensemble or route instrument outputs back into the Mix Console in Cubase. You can load and save Ensemble projects independent of your Cubase songs. You can even run multiple Ensemble instances (each with 128 instruments) on different PCs for more CPU power. (All you need to make this work is to connect your PCs and Macs to an inexpensive Gigabit switch.) It’s an insanely powerful system.

I know, but how to route them to, for instance, a group?
You can do it in the Mixconsole, but for as far as I could see, not in the track inspector…

I think Svenne’s got his eye on the roll of Forum Chief of Police, never mind naming conventions!

Been thinking of trying it out to see how it would integrate into the Scope environment but don’t feel a need to purue it at this point in time.

still confuses me, dont know where to look for automation of parameters and insert fx automation.

this thing has me scrolling all over the place !!!

good for mixing but a bit fiddly during creative process

Maven, he said recommend. It was not an order. That done this is an interesting thread because dummy here didn’t order C7.5 from the Steinberg site and is still waiting…
I find it best not to assume everyone on this forum knows who anyone else is or how well regarded we/they are in Hollywood but just put your points and accept the differences. Svenne could equally reply that you’re the “orchestral composer” police. Non? It just muddies up the thread and makes what I’m interested to learn about into a playground tantrum.
However, the way you describe things about the way you work looks fine to me. Just looks like me and the other guys work another way.
The track/rack looks to me like a mash up of the old way of working with multi-timbral synths (ie: one synth + 16 tracks) v. One track; one instrument. It looks like it’s cosmetic rather than deeply practical although the cosmetic can be practical on this level as, depending on your work style, you can work on this in several ways. This has always been at the root of Cubase design although sometimes it can lead to clutter and muddle. One thing, four ways to do the same thing, is a hard act to juggle. Like a drumset with more than three toms. You’ll mostly find that one of them honks instead of sings.

Fruity Loops!!!??? Ha ha. Never heard that one. :laughing: DUH! Joke police: Don’t cut and paste old ones. They’re stale.

Can someone please explain how to remove an instrument from the rack in 7.5??

Unless I’m missing something it’s not inutitive, no options to remove when you right click?

Al

Just click on the name of the instrument in the rack and choose select “no vst instrument” from the drop down menu, simple :slight_smile:

Thank you. I’m a true dumbo!! Not loving the new rack look. Preferred the simpler interface.