No sound coming from computer

I’m using Cubase Elements 6 with 64 bit Windows 7. The computer’s audio card is a Realtek HD Audio card.

When I play a MIDI file only the metronome makes any sound. I can see MIDI events in the track editors and the MIDI activity indicators are showing events but I can’t seem to connect Cubase sound output to the computer’s audio output. Grateful if someone could help explain where to look for the problem. I’m totally confused by the manual section on drivers.

In Devices, Device Setup, VST Audio System, what is your ASIO driver? If the Realtek does not have its own dedicated ASIO driver, I would suggest using the free driver from www.asio4all.com While we do not officially support generic ASIO drivers, ASIO4ALL is often successful for users.

Start a new empty project and import a commercially recorded audio file from your computer. Does this playback?

Assuming it does, go to Devices, VST Instruments, and load Halion Sonic SE. Choose the option to Create a MIDI Track. With your mouse, play the keys on HSSE. Do you hear sound?

Now use your MIDI controller to record a MIDI event on the HSSE MIDI track. Do you hear sound from that?

Thanks for your help on this. When I turned on the computer today and ran Cubase the sound was coming out as normal. (I have installed the ASIO4ALL driver).

However after playing an audio file from a web page via a browser Cubase then stopped making any sound. When I opened the Windows 7 volume mixer Cubase had disappeared from the list of programmes running. I exited Cubase then restarted it and it then reappeared in the volume mixer and sound started coming out. Is it the case that Cubase loses its connection to the sound output if another programme takes this over and Cubase then can’t reestablish a connection?

I assume this is what was causing my problem a couple of days ago.

It sounds like that is what is occurring on the system. One way to possibly avoid this would be to uncheck the option for “Release ASIO driver in background” within Cubase. However, then you would not be able to hear audio from the web page.

The best solution is to use an audio interface that has a dedicated ASIO driver. This will result typically in better latency, performance, reliability, and sound quality. There are many ASIO devices from Steinberg, Yamaha, Tascam, Presonus, Alesis, RME, MOTU, Lexicon, TC Electronic, MAudio, and the list goes on and on.

Personally I would recommend our UR22 for an inexpensive but great sounding device. UR Series: USB 2.0 Audio Interfaces | Steinberg

But I’d also recommend going to a local music store’s sound recording department and finding the device that fits your needs and budget. I hope this information helps.

Thanks for your reply.

I like the look of the UR22. Can you confirm how this works? If I plug it in to a USB socket does it take over from the built in Realtek audio card? Should I connect my monitoring system directly to the UR22 line outputs or leave them connected to the computer jacks? I’m using the Halion Sonic SE and also Garritan Personal Orchestra VST instruments and I’m not sure how the sound from these will get to the monitor outputs.

Grateful for advice.

It would depend on what you wanted to do. If you wanted your operating system sound to go through the UR, you can do that (or not). You would set it as the input/output for Cubase. Yes, you would connect your speakers to the outputs from the UR22. When the UR22 is selected as the ASIO driver for Cubase, all of Cubase’s input and output sound would function through the UR22. I hope this information helps.

If I could jump in here? I have a Gigbyte MB that has the Realtek audio card on it. This is a fairly intrusive sound card, constantly fighting for control of the output audio. In my case - and in the case of everyone I know who has the Realtek on their MB - the solution to creating a DAW that swaps the outboard audio device for any and all programs at initiation is to turn Realtek off in the Bios. This is easy to do, open the Bios and find the device: ‘Auzula’ and turn it off (this is the Realtek soundcard). This will turn off the Realtek device and leave you with only the outboard sound device.

So, like Chris says, find a good outboard device and install it’s drivers. At this point you will also need to open Win7 sound device window and choose the new device and the stereo inputs and outputs you wish to be primary for you computer.

BTW, you may think it odd to turn off the onboard sound device when it seems to have some interesting features. Believe me, all of these features will not give you a quality DAW. Using Cubase in the manner it was intended requires a proper external interface device.

Start a new empty project and import a commercially recorded audio file from your computer. Does this playback?

Assuming it does, go to Devices, VST Instruments, and load Halion Sonic SE. Choose the option to Create a MIDI Track. With your mouse, play the keys on HSSE. Do you hear sound?