Tips Tricks And Workflow Goodness

After using this for a month, I can honestly say that this post from Stealth has improved my life no end.

Thanks again!

Don’t know if my tip is already posted in this thread ( sorry, thread is just too long to read all).
But a way to delete a plugin from the Inserts pane in the Inspector in the Project window:

Just click the plugin and drag it out of the slot: It will be deleted from the Insert Slot !! :smiley:
I can’t remember from which person i got this info but i really want to thank him and i assume this workflow is faster than
opening the plugin choose window and choose “no plugin” :sunglasses:
How simple and nice can things be … yikes !

1 Like

Nice one!

1 Like

1:To start play from event start to its end:
select an event(s) (also works on midi notes in midi editor), use alt+spacebar

2: to set locators upside down to an event (red locators) select event use ; control+enter(on numeric pad).
to skip that event in playback when locators are red activate the cycle on transport bar.

I just upgraded to a SSD and Cubase 64bit :smiley: It took me 3 days to reinstall everything, but man I’m glad I did!!! So much faster, more stable ect!

On an instrument track in the mixer, left-click and drag the mouse over ‘e’ for edit and let go before your mouse leaves the ‘e’ button and you’ll open the VSTi panel.

So, a quick, short left click drag over the e to open the instrument.

Not sure if everyone knows that already.

So, a quick, short left click drag over the e to open the instrument.

Is this any different from the official click and hold to open the vsti?
I suspect this is all you are really doing and the short left drag is unconnected.

I find also it depends what you put the keyboard on:

substantial metal desk music stand - doesn’t work at all
lightweight music stand - range about 10 feet
cheap fally-over music stand - 20 feet but your keyboard crashes to the ground.
Upended cardboard box - all over the studio!

Very useful for dialog editing and AFAIK not documented specifically:
You might know the situation where an actor, while speaking, turns her or his head. The sound changes dramatically and you want to apply some EQ on just a small section of a clip. So you chop it up, hit your KC (another situation where its a huge time saver) to bring up your preferred offline EQ, adjust and hit process.
Now, as your clip is still selected, all you have to do is hit “X” (the default KC for Crossfades) and Crossfades will be created at the beginning and end of that clip. There is no need to select the clip before and after the one that you processed !
:sunglasses:

Don’t know if it’s been brought up already, but there are plenty of wifi solutions that would work much better for a wireless controller situation. And many are quite cheap as well. Cubase IC and V-control pro for instance if you already have an iphone, ipad, android phone, android tablet or the like. Your going to get much better range using wifi than with bluetooth or IR. V-control pro is still pretty viable for multi touch wireless mixing with C7.5 although I do hope they end up updating it for the new mixer. Cubase IC is great if all you need is basic transport functions. Just a few suggestions if your concerned about range. Also, if your dealing with an iso booth, you may just want to drop a hotspot above the ceiling, or even snake one into the booth if reception is that bad.

Hope it was not listed yet:
In the Track Inspector, Alt+Click on the Bypass buttons will reset the settings of Insert / Strip / Equalizer / Send.

1 Like

When the Microsoft Mouse and Keyboard Center is installed for my Microsoft Wireless Keyboard 5000, I do not see this vertical scrolling working in the Track Inspector. Previously the middle click + drag worked, but since the Microsoft app is present, the Ctrl, Alt or Shift + drag does not work all.

Any idea what works when Microsoft Mouse and Keyboard Center is installed for scrolling up/down in Track Inspector?

Tip regarding stability: if you are still using the 32-bit, go for the 64-bit version of Cubase!
I changed to the 64-bit path a week ago and since that I face much less crash, Cubase is barely crashing now.

I often noticed while working with 32-bit Cubase that some background tasks (like Dropbox, Google Drive, etc.) take up quite a lot of memory, also opened browsers while working decreased memory a lot.

I have 16 GB RAM but it was useless as Cubase could use only 4 GB or so, I often noticed strange symptoms, like plugins opened without GUI, MixConsole freezes (did not react anymore) and memory intensive plug-ins or many instances of the same plug-in often crashed the whole app. When I quit browsers, Dropbox, etc. Cubase became functional again, but Windows Task Manager displayed the hard reality: around 4-5 GB physical RAM usage (including the OS) the whole system become unstable.

Now I think that many instability / errors seemed like “bugs” arised from the low amount of memory dedicated to Cubase!

I had the 64-bit version of nearly all of the plugins I am using (many of them are even VST3), a few are bridged with JBridge and things are really very smooth and responsive now. Projects now often take 8-9 GB of RAM which was impossible to finish on the 32-bit Cubase and even my backdrop apps, browser, etc. are opened and running in the background - no problems!

BTW it is not a good thing that Cubase become a memory hog over the years, but the only thing we can do is just to follow its ever increasing system requirements (or change to other DAW, but this is something I completely avoid and not an option for me at all due to spending so much time with the app, finished lots of work, etc.).

Ahoy,

More goodness collated into the 1st post.

man, you peoples are so clever.

Eiry

Hi. This is a great topic. I’ve learned a lot of things!!.
So I’d like to share some way I use to work with Nuendo:.

1. Take a look at Direct Folders: Direct Folders for Windows - Code Sector
    It provides the function Cubendo should have long time ago, remembering paths. It also let you go to a folder of your choice (previously configured) with middle mouse double click. Time saver. All the stuff from codesector is top notch (Terra copy bypasses windows copy engine. its 10 times faster)
  2. I don’t use Track Presets. This function seems broken/ not mature enough. Instead of I use export Track Archives. You can make templates of mixed channels (MIDi, FX,Groups, audio, markers etc.) and recall them from any folder!. Just use Direct Folders :slight_smile:. Takes 2 secs. As a bonus I can instantly recall different Generic Remote setups. Just use DF (from now on I will use this as the Direct Folders name :slight_smile: )
  3. I did post a way to make “fake” VCA" on the Nuendo forum. It is the way I like it :slight_smile: .
    Blue Cat company has got a suite of free gain plugins. The nice thing is they respond to MIDI and can be grouped!
    So: Insert x amount of Free Gain plugin into desired channels. Group them. Configure them to respond to a Cubendo’s MIDI channel. Instant VCA. Here the link : VCA FADERS DIY!! - Nuendo - Steinberg Forums. And: I f you insert the in slot 6 you ride pre fader, slot 7 post fader or a mixture you desire. PT VCA is a joke in comparison LOL. :imp:
  4. Another thing I was looking for was the soundminers ability to PREVIEW SFX with VST plugins. Solution: Just use Headphone Bus (assuming one is using Control Room). You can insert plugs into the bus and preview Media Bay in real time. Link: Soundminer DIY - Nuendo - Steinberg Forums. It saves some bucks and lets you “design” sfx as you preview database. :nerd:

More to come :slight_smile:
Thank you for the great topic!!

For me it doesn’t arm the tracks because once you delete the items it goes to the first selected track and only that one is armed. This is because “Track Selection Follows Event Selection” is enabled which makes the first selected track the only selected track after delete.

However if you change the order of the last two it will work more consistently (i.e. With “Track Selection Follows Event Selection” enabled) though you loose track selection if on anything but Range Selection tools but duplicated tracks are still armed.

I also don’t ever need any other tracks to be record enabled and usually they are monitoring through the tracks I am duplicating so they are already armed. So I added a Project Logical Editor for all armed tracks (already a shortcut for disabling only audio tracks in Mixer key commands if you need just that).

- duplicate selected track 
- select all events on the new one
- PLE - Disable Arming On All Audio, MIDI & Instrument Tracks
- arm for record
- delete

I use this all the time with Pro Tools and select what I want to duplicate so this would be a great help to get set up.

Pro Tools Duplicate Selected Tracks.jpg

this is good stuff-- i would insert a realtime pitch shifting plugin for previewing samples in a transposed key at once.

Great tips here and I appreciate this thread. Thanks all!

SHIFT + ALT click on ‘e’ will open all inserts on that channel.

SHIFT + click on ‘e’ will close all inserts.

This works with any modifier but the control key on a Mac. It seems like I once found a consecutive number method (not shift on selected input and output paths), like Logic does for Objects in the Environment.