Scrollable Articulations/Dynamics Controller Lane

All feature requests and suggestions for upcoming releases of Cubase 7 and Cubase Artist 7 can be posted here.

Scrollable Articulations/Dynamics Controller Lane

Postby Zelorkq » Wed Dec 11, 2013 11:13 pm

The Expression Map has been a game-changer!

However, especially when used in conjunction with VSL, some maps have an extensive array of articulations per instrument. I think it would be great having a scrollable expression map in the Key Editor, because I have to re-size my articulations map every time so that I can read the names of each articulation so much, that almost all of my notes are blocked from view.

Splitting my instrument into two midi tracks (and thus two half-sized expression maps) is an option, however, not preferable. Having scrollable expression maps would help a lot, but I'm sure there are other solutions to this, maybe even with colours to simulate a 3D list.

I hope this wasn't mentioned before, I didn't find anything..


Regards
Last edited by Zelorkq on Sat Dec 14, 2013 9:00 am, edited 1 time in total.
Zelorkq
New Member
 
Posts: 12
Joined: Sat Mar 09, 2013 6:28 pm
Has thanked: 0 time
Been thanked: 1 time

Re: Scrollable Expression Map

Postby SteveInChicago » Wed Dec 11, 2013 11:53 pm

I assume you mean the Articulations/Dynamics controller lane, and not the Expression map in the inspector.

Great idea.
Cubase 7.5.20 | Mac 10.8.5 | i7-3770k Gigabyte Z77-UD5H | 16gb | TC Konnekt24D
User avatar
SteveInChicago
External Moderator
 
Posts: 4470
Joined: Wed Dec 15, 2010 7:42 pm
Location: Chicago, IL USA
Has thanked: 88 times
Been thanked: 241 times

Re: Scrollable Expression Map

Postby suntower » Thu Dec 12, 2013 8:02 am

+1

But while we're blue skying ( and since I seem to find something to grouse about every day now) I would reiterate that the best solution would be for Steinberg to reach out to VSL and incentivise them to implement Note Expression.

Doing MIDI orchestrations keeps getting more and more complicated (like with Dimension Strings) and at some point, there's gotta be a way to simplify. Too many controllers, lanes, tracks.

I think that's why a lot of guys... even guys who can write really well, fall back on these sample 'construction kits'. It just takes too darned long to input all the necessary stuff.
Primary: i7960 16gb RAM, SSD, 3 1TB HD, Win7/64 Ult
Second: Q8400 16gb RAM 3 1TB HD, Win7/64
Laptop: HP Pavilion i5, 8GB RAM 7200RPM, Cubase 7.5, iCPro, WL7,
Vienna Ensemble5, VSL, NI Komplete, EWQLSO, etc. CME UF8, Roland TD-12 VDrums
User avatar
suntower
Senior Member
 
Posts: 1196
Joined: Mon Feb 07, 2011 7:53 am
Location: Seattle/Dublin
Has thanked: 20 times
Been thanked: 55 times

Re: Scrollable Expression Map

Postby harcourt » Thu Dec 12, 2013 11:41 am

suntower wrote:+1
Doing MIDI orchestrations keeps getting more and more complicated (like with Dimension Strings) and at some point, there's gotta be a way to simplify. Too many controllers, lanes, tracks.

I think that's why a lot of guys... even guys who can write really well, fall back on these sample 'construction kits'. It just takes too darned long to input all the necessary stuff.

Just the other day I fired up my old Atari STE with Notator...after about a 14 years absence. What a breath of fresh air! Despite all of Cubase's features, I'd comfortably go back to using Notator if it was an simple task to assimilate it into a VST environment. I'd probably even do without Expression Maps (best feature of Cubase). Even just simple things like right click note entry in the score window are a godsend. No audio features, but for MIDI sequencing - just great - quick and easy to get ideas down. Less bloat, and many sensible GUI features that I wish Cubase would adopt. Its a shame it was abandoned and morphed into Notator Logic - not as good as the original (on the Atari at least), flexible pattern based arranging tool IMO.
Cubase 7.5.10 64bit, Dell M6600 laptop - i7 2920xm, 2.50 Ghz, 16GB RAM, Win7 64bit, Echo AudioFire Pre8. Panorama P6, MIDI controller keyboard.
harcourt
Junior Member
 
Posts: 144
Joined: Sun Oct 07, 2012 2:02 am
Has thanked: 0 time
Been thanked: 4 times

Re: Scrollable Expression Map

Postby Zelorkq » Thu Dec 12, 2013 7:46 pm

SteveInChicago wrote:I assume you mean the Articulations/Dynamics controller lane, and not the Expression map in the inspector.

Great idea.


Yes that's exactly what I meant, sorry about the misnaming :)
Zelorkq
New Member
 
Posts: 12
Joined: Sat Mar 09, 2013 6:28 pm
Has thanked: 0 time
Been thanked: 1 time

Re: Scrollable Expression Map

Postby SteveInChicago » Thu Dec 12, 2013 7:58 pm

No sorry necessary- just want SB and others to see at a glance what the FR is. (Maybe even edit the title of the OP, since expression maps are actually scrollable.)
Cubase 7.5.20 | Mac 10.8.5 | i7-3770k Gigabyte Z77-UD5H | 16gb | TC Konnekt24D
User avatar
SteveInChicago
External Moderator
 
Posts: 4470
Joined: Wed Dec 15, 2010 7:42 pm
Location: Chicago, IL USA
Has thanked: 88 times
Been thanked: 241 times

Re: Scrollable Expression Map

Postby CubeDAW » Sat Dec 14, 2013 6:24 am

VSL is very fun with Cubase Expression Maps. I guess you made your own maps because I don't see that many expressions on the stock maps I'm using. Most of the expressions in the Matrix aren't on my maps.

Cubase Expression seems to be in its infancy still. I would like them to make the font blacker.


Zelorkq wrote:The Expression Map has been a game-changer!

However, especially when used in conjunction with VSL, some maps have an extensive array of articulations per instrument. I think it would be great having a scrollable expression map in the Key Editor, because I have to re-size my articulations map every time so that I can read the names of each articulation so much, that almost all of my notes are blocked from view.

Splitting my instrument into two midi tracks (and thus two half-sized expression maps) is an option, however, not preferable. Having scrollable expression maps would help a lot, but I'm sure there are other solutions to this, maybe even with colours to simulate a 3D list.

I hope this wasn't mentioned before, I didn't find anything..


Regards


I have begged VSL to work with Steinberg but I get the feeling they don't really like each other. VSL did not make many Cubase Expression Maps. Since they have the VSL mixer which allows third party plugins in the pro version, I think they are secretly planning their own sequencer which will really suck at first. There will be competition between the two companies since most composers use Sibelius and Steinberg is going to have a new killer notation program which you can bet will have tight expression integration within Cubase. Steinberg will want to sell Halion Pro to more people. VSL is so much better than anything though.

suntower wrote: I would reiterate that the best solution would be for Steinberg to reach out to VSL and incentivise them to implement Note Expression.
User avatar
CubeDAW
Member
 
Posts: 322
Joined: Mon Jul 01, 2013 7:16 pm
Has thanked: 65 times
Been thanked: 10 times

Re: Scrollable Expression Map

Postby Zelorkq » Sat Dec 14, 2013 9:13 am

CubeDAW wrote:VSL is very fun with Cubase Expression Maps. I guess you made your own maps because I don't see that many expressions on the stock maps I'm using. Most of the expressions in the Matrix aren't on my maps.

Cubase Expression seems to be in its infancy still. I would like them to make the font blacker.

Even though my VSL Instruments partly have Expression Maps to download, I did make my own to suit my needs (coupled with my customized VI Pro matrix patches).

+1 to a slightly blacker font.
Zelorkq
New Member
 
Posts: 12
Joined: Sat Mar 09, 2013 6:28 pm
Has thanked: 0 time
Been thanked: 1 time


Return to Feature Requests and Suggestions

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest