PC to Mac migration

Good luck! I, for one, definitely enjoy using Macs more than Windows (and this, coming from a long-time Windows DAW user), but you’ll have your share of bumps on the road! It’s not a perfect world in Mac-land either. There are definitely some benefits to sticking with the Windows world, such as cost savings and generally better low-latency performance. Essentially, you will get more “bang for the buck” in Windows land, no question about it. However, my view is that current computers are so powerful that those issues are no longer primary decision points for me, and other things are more important to me now, such as overall workflow and the fact that almost all of my clients are Mac users, so it just makes more sense for me now. Session compatibility was “okay” before between Windows and Macs, but I’ve had a number of situations where having a Mac handy was just plain necessary, or at the very least, convenient. So it wasn’t much of a leap to see if migrating all the way was possible.

The performance of the current generation of computers is so vastly beyond what it was only a few years ago, that the price/performance advantage of Windows is not the headline issue it used to be… on both of my Macs, I can get superb low latency for the situations I need it – as good as I need it, and for the plugin and track load needed, just as good as my finely tuned 6-core Windows machine, so I’m fine with it. True, my Windows DAW could handle more plugins at that extreme low latency than my current Mac Pro, but I find I really don’t need to “impress myself with benchmarks” – at decent latencies I haven’t had an issue yet in my many rounds of testing so far, so the performance hit of using a Mac is almost certainly not going to be a problem for me, personally. Worst case scenario, I can set up a VE Pro slave if I have to. I already have used VE Pro quite a bit in the past, so going back to it will not be a problem if I have to regularly.

So nowadays it really boils down to your personal preferences for your platform, and I’m happy so far with my switch to OSX. We’ll see in a few months, though! :slight_smile: I could end up hating it, and come screaming back to Windows! I will of course keep a couple of Windows machines just in case, but so far, so good.

Good luck with your switch!