Steinberg's dongle alternative coming

“My preference is the best preference”

The National Spastic Association? And would that be Disclothed And Wan…g sessions? :laughing:

If you use Windows or OSX then you don’t need Steinberg for this. Instead you’ll get an additional BND interface as a bonus.

Or Google, or Hotmail, or Facebook, and so on… :laughing:

Or whatever “i” things

Monitoring!? They’ll make sure you comply with the fast food association of music!

Try anything else and MIB shows up.

Ive said it before but with large scale integration in place over the decades, you might think a 3/4 size reduction is doable

Some time ago I had a session in a “band room” doing some preproduction recordings… I very rarely use Cubendo outside my studio… here I did… the elicencer died… I never was able to find a reason - it was not physically damaged… it just stopped working… we spent 2 hours trying to nail it down to a dongle-fail and not an USB port fail or something like that.

In the end I had to use Garage Band.

What a PITA it was!!

The following replacement scenario was done professional and easy - temporary licences were sent, I had a spare elicencer… in addition to that I had still my Nuendo elicecer in the studio so I had no downtime (used the Cubase elicener on the Laptop, just because of STUFF LIKE THAT).

It never happened to me in 12 years - recently it happened… it was not a showstopper because it was not a live show … but it was very very ugly though.

At least it would be cool if users of the “big” Cubase/Nuendo versions could have some kind of “dongle free” licence for using Cubase LE or Artist or something like that on the laptop… Maybe I will try to dig into Logic some more, using that on the Laptop (Macbook Pro) … ?!

I have a license for Cubase AI 7 (from Steinberg CMC-series) for this kind of scenario.

Yea, often a “simple” Cubase version would be fine for “some” recording on the road/live… Usually I just need the option to record 8-16 tracks to hd, doing some basic editing and some very basic rough mixing… As I said - I used Garage Band in that situation, but I never had that app open bevore - it was a PITA setting everyting up for recording in that situation (had templates and in/out presets for Cubase)

I have a desktop PC that I keep the dongle in when I’m at home. Not a problem there. But I also have a laptop that I’d like to incorporate for live use. I don’t need to be able to run Cubase live. I’m just beginning to learn Cantabile and have several VSTi’s that require a dongle. HALion Sonic 2, PadShop Pro, Retrologue, not to mention my Korg Legacy series, all my Arturia VSTs, and so on. I hate the thought that I take my laptop out and lose the dongle. I’ve been using the same dongle since Cubase SX. I recently bought the Absolute VST Collection (which came with another dongle - shorter than my original). That would force me to get SB to authorize my new dongle - and the other manufacturers as well - and would be more of a PITA then anything. If I remember correctly, all my software that uses the dongle are stored in the LCC, so it would just be a matter of me telling the LCC to load the licenses up to my blank dongle. Someone please correct me if I’m wrong.

I also have a wireless mouse that uses the short, stubby USB thingie. If SB would/could go to something like that, I’d be happy with that compromise. I’m just scared to death it would get broken using it live on stage - even if I use a USB extension cable to get it away from directly sticking out of my laptop. Here’s to what the future holds. I’m sure good things are on the horizon. Now to update to 7.5 … lol

On the “Lost eLicenser” thread it is mentioned that at present on new boxed versions sold with a dongle they do a 24 hour temporary license and one can get something similar on dongle loss. I don’t know if they do it already or have it planned but it might be useful requesting that one could temporarily “arm” (via your legit dongle) a laptop for use on locations for 24 hrs or so. Just a thought.
You would need a spare dongle.
Lost USB licenser - Cubase - Steinberg Forums SteveinChicago and Fabio.

Yes, my Cubase 6 also came with the (25 hour) demo. It is not a new procedure.

Is there a demo of Cubase 7?

Not sure yet. If it’s not already there then it’s imminent.

Not sure yet. If it’s not already there then it’s imminent.[/quote]

Now would be timely considering there are new features included with 7.5.

Keep the dongle. Care about your software.
You don’t see Cubase out there as cracked version. :slight_smile:

Would be nice to upgrade it to a small metal version case so we could
not worry about dropping it.

Cheers

Diamond encrusted dongle for sale. Extremely losable (apparently) so knock down price. Makes keyring look classy. Offers.

No worry about dropping it?! I’m sure there are examples on YouTube but these and similar dongles can be nuked and they still work.

UVI Listens, iLok Dongle No Longer Required

And replace it with the iLok software authorisation system that is a) seriously anal, b) requires an internet connection & c) only allow you to install one instance of the license. But apart from that nice to see iLok copy the eLicenser system down to a tee