Import Settings From Previous Version

All feature requests and suggestions for upcoming releases of Cubase 7 and Cubase Artist 7 can be posted here.

Import Settings From Previous Version

Postby suntower » Sun Dec 22, 2013 9:08 pm

It -used- to be that Cubase imported settings from prior versions. I seem to recall that was causing issues during the dark days of SX3/SX4 and perhaps that's why it was stopped. I guess the way it's spun now is that this 'protects' the user from a bad install. Fine.

But we're now many years past that and going from 7.0 to .5 should allow one the -option- to import all settings.

I currently have over 600 plugs on my system. Having to reset the Plug-In info for them all is a pain... not to mention about 100 key commands, umpteen 'preferences', 20 colours, etc...

From what I've seen the file format between .0 and .5 is -not- that much different. But even if it -is-, there's no excuse for not having a decent import option from prior versions. Not in 2013.

The rest of the install system has gotten a LOT better from the old days. This last bit just seems out of place in a 'pro' app circa 2013. In fact, I can't think of another app I use that doesn't import from a previous version... even the 'open source' ones.

It's another not so subtle 'we don't care about backward compatibility' deals. All we care about is new, New, NEW!!!!!! Those old users may grouse a little, but forget 'em. This kind of 'polish' doesn't SELL!

---JC
Primary: i7960 16gb RAM, SSD, 3 1TB HD, Win7/64 Ult
Second: Q8400 16gb RAM 3 1TB HD, Win7/64
Laptop: HP Pavilion i5, 8GB RAM 7200RPM, Cubase 7.5, iCPro, WL7,
Vienna Ensemble5, VSL, NI Komplete, EWQLSO, etc. CME UF8, Roland TD-12 VDrums
suntower

Re: Import Settings From Previous Version

Postby premediesel » Tue Dec 24, 2013 5:03 am

+100

It is insane that it didn't just pull all my 7.0.6 settings in to 7.5! I find that shocking.
Mix Engineer / Producer
http://www.jamiekuse.com
--
Cubase 7.5.2 | rMBP | 2.3ghz Haswell | 16gb Ram | 512gb SSD | UA Apollo Quad (Thunderbolt)
premediesel

Postby marQs » Wed Dec 25, 2013 9:47 am

A long time Cubase user should know now where key commands and program settings are located and be able to copy them manually. Been doing this for years, at least for key commands (+ adjusting them to taste when new functions arrive etc.).
Program settings are not so hard to set up (and interesting to look at from time to time - some new options to be found from version to version) and can be refreshed manually within a few minutes. Old settings transfer has led to messed up color schemes sometimes.

No idea about the plugins blacklist .xml's found in the same folder. I have just a reasonable number of plugins installed and prefer to adjust them manually (i.e. unticking unauthorized UAD plugins that get installed as a bundle along the ones I bought, removing unneccessary mono versions etc.). Never tried if it works to just copy the according .xml files but worth a try maybe.

However, from 7.06 to 7.5 most of that happened automatically and worked without issues. It sometimes did and sometimes didn't on previous version upgrades. So it seems, it's intented with new versions to adapt old preferences but may just not work in any case.
...C7 | WL7 | FF800 | UAD2 Quad/Duo | Win7 64...
marQs

Postby CubeDAW » Wed Dec 25, 2013 3:46 pm

We should be able to backup all the settings to Google Drive with one click by now. I spend a lot of time making Key Commands. You should too. I will have to look for the XML file next time I upgrade.
CubeDAW

Return to Feature Requests and Suggestions