Mac-osx to win7-64 bit migration

@Jalcide - I know many people who felt betrayed by Apple, and some of them ended up switching to Windows. After a while, some switched back to Macs. Some stuck with Windows, though. The last blow for some of them came with the introduction of Final Cut Pro X, which at the time was very upsetting to some of my filmmaker friends. But many of them stuck around with Apple, despite the grumbling and frustration. In the end, most of them stuck with Apple (or returned to Apple) and adapted, often dumping Final Cut and moving to Adobe… partly to hedge their bets so they could be OS agnostic in the future if needed. In fact, all my filmmaker clients are still on Macs, and amazingly, some of them have even stuck with Final Cut, despite the mess. Most of the studios I work with or know are still on Macs too. If anything, the Final Cut Pro X fiasco was a great wake-up call in a lot of ways… and it also showed me that people will adapt to the situations, but mostly stick with old patterns. The OS itself was generally not the primary issue… but rather the apps they needed to use for business. Business stability and day-to-day continuity trumps a lot of things… making a platform change is not “convenient” for most businesses to make, so they tend to stick through the tough times.

Frankly, if it weren’t for my clients, I’d still be on Windows. But just as one giant of the industry screws up (as Apple has done), so does another industry giant screw up … and Microsoft had to take a turn too. For me, that was Windows 8, which I can’t stand to use. Fortunately, Microsoft appears to be learning its lesson (slowly), and supposedly, more changes are coming to the next iteration of Windows beyond Windows 8.1.

What I’ve learned from all these recent developments (aka failures/mistakes), at least as it relates to DAWs, is that the real solution is not in picking the right OS platform per se, but rather in picking the right DAW software! Right now, I primarily use Pro Tools and Cubase (with a number of other DAW licenses as well, as needed), and they work great on both Windows and OSX platforms. So if anything, I can look at my OS platform as a secondary element… or rather as a “support framework” for my chosen DAW apps. So really, in one sense I’m also OS agnostic, since what really matters to me, above anything else, is the core DAW app.

Having said that, I have been making the transition to OSX from Windows, and I definitely prefer the workflow, and it fits my business, clients and projects better for now. But everyone will have their own unique needs that will influence them one way or another. What works for me may not work best for you, obviously.

As for being “betrayed” by one company or another, I’ve been around long enough that every single company I’ve worked with (or better said, purchased products from) for more than 7-10 years has “betrayed” me in one sense or another. Apple can get in line with the rest of them. I can tell you horror stories about Apple, Microsoft, Avid, Steinberg, etc., you name it. They’ve all done it at one time or another if they’ve been in business for a while. The key is using the tools that work best for your needs right now. Apple will no doubt “betray” some market segment again… as will Microsoft, Avid, etc… We sure hope that Steinberg WON’T do that again… they’ve been doing pretty well under the ownership of Yamaha… but you never know… management could change again, and we could be in a mess again. I don’t see that happening any time soon, but I try not to hold grudges too long against companies if they have a tool that helps me get my work done and make a living.

For now, my preference lies with OSX, but if Apple blows it, I can easily jump back to Windows if I have to – or use both with VEPro. If Windows works best for you – for whatever reason – go for it. I certainly will keep a couple of Windows machines around…

In any case, we truly live in an amazing time, where the tools we use are so incredible and powerful, we don’t really need to argue platform issues any more. It’s really just a simple preference. And while Windows will certainly win the bang-for-buck equation, I’ve found great performance so far from my Macs – I even bought my son one and he’s already doing more with it than he ever did with his Windows machine. It’s just a tool, though. If the tool helps get stuff done, doesn’t matter if it costs 25-30% more if he does 100% more stuff on it. As for me, I could have stuck with Windows, but I’m definitely enjoying the Mac platform… for now… :slight_smile: Main thing is, Cubase is great on both platforms. :slight_smile: