Cubase 7.5 MAGNETO II sounds wonderful!

Post general topics related to Cubase 7 and Cubase Artist 7 here.

Re: Cubase 7.5 MAGNETO II sounds wonderful!

Postby curteye » Mon Dec 23, 2013 10:06 pm

DaveAbbott wrote:Put it across the output bus and thought it was pretty good.

Aloha D and +1.

Same here.

I put it on a 'minimal setting' and it sounds really nice.

And as BriHar posted:
This got me to thinking, what is being emulated or modelled in these plugin effects - not only what for a machine, but with what medium specifications?

Great point IMHO.
'Ampex 456' or 'Agfa' or something else?

As I remember from 'back-in-da-day';
when compared to Ampex, Agfa gave you an additional 2db at 10k.
So it had a bit more of a 'sheen' to it and you could
'hit' it a bit harder.

Sounds to my ears like some of that is going on here as well.
But it might just be the very kool eq features.

{'-'}
If yer gear ain't breakin down, you aint workin' much.

iMac i7 2.8Gz 16GB 10.9...../C5.5/6.5/7.5
Mbook 2.4Gz 4GB 10.7.5.../C5.5/6.5/7.5

On the side of a volcano in the middle of the Pacific Ocean.
curteye
Grand Senior Member

Postby Jalcide » Tue Dec 24, 2013 8:26 am

I just tried Magneto II against a drum buss -- it's good!

A very smooth, clean drive.

It won't get "nasty" (in a good way) like the Waves J37, but if a more subtle, woody drive that leaves the low-end mostly intact is needed, it delivers warm, crisp character.

I'll definitely be using this.

Thanks, Freddie for bringing attention to this!
Last edited by Jalcide on Tue Apr 08, 2014 5:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
http://soundcloud.com/jalcide

Rack-mounted DAW1 (Main): Cubase 7.5.30 64-bit, Win 7 64-bit, i7-4770K @ 4.0GHz OC, Stock Cooling, ASUS Maximus VI Gene Z87 mATX Motherboard, 16 Gigs DDR3, EVGA GTX 760, Focusrite Saffire Pro 40 on a Vantect FireWire 400 PCIe card (UGT-FW200), Two 30" ACDs

Rack-mounted DAW2 (Real-time Mastering Chain connected to DAW1 via ADAT Optical): Reaper 64-bit, Win 7 64-bit, i5-4670K @ 4.0GHz, 16 Gigs DDR3, Focusrite Saffire Pro 40, One 20" ACD
Jalcide

Postby sonicstate » Sat Apr 05, 2014 9:07 am

I mean, this is a religious thread, is it.... I bet Magneto 2 is exactly the same algorithm as it was in old Magneto from 10 yrs ago, which nobody would ever dare to use on real tracks, what to speak of master track, because it was considered a toy. Now in Magneto 2 same exact algorithms suddenly sound better than Waves and SPL and so on.... Marketing is really fun. With proper approach one can sell anything, jest repack it, and there it goes for gold...
Cubase 7.5, Win 7 64bit, i7-4770K @4.3GHz, ASUS Z87-K, 16Gb, 2x RME HDSP 9652, BCF 2000, BCR 2000, Novation Launchpad Mini, M-Audio TriggerFinger, Korg NanoKey, plenty outboard synths and fx, 24ch Studiomaster mixer, Yamaha NS10s, Dynaudio BM5, Samson Rubicon R8a Ribbon, etc...
sonicstate

Postby tex » Sat Apr 05, 2014 12:35 pm

cheers Freddie... as usual like your posts.

tried magneto and like it. didn't notice the subtle effect it has as i only use it sparingly, never took any notice. but now have it spread-out on drums etc and sounds a lot nice and easy to use
i7 12GB, Acer desktop. Mark of The Unicorn-mk3 Ultra, cubase 7.5, Wave lab elements
tons of plugs and a few outboard, bag of vinyl. Mackie monitors and analogue desk
tex

Postby marQs » Sat Apr 05, 2014 12:40 pm

Even if it should be the very same algo like in the old Magneto (which I never really used) the selectable frequency range might make the difference. This simple parameter set is brilliant in its impact.

Most of my rock/pop-mixes have a good portion of saturation at some point mostly created with the UAD tapes and stuff alike. Still Magneto II as a strip plugin in its default position after the insert slots can add to that in a very nice, synergetic way.

It's a while ago now that I discovered that for me and the effect hasn't worn off. On the contrary, it proofs to work really well in the 'real world' (finished mixes/masters on all possible playback systems).
...Cubase 7.5 | WL 8.5 | Fireface UFX | UAD2 Octo/Quad | Win7 64...
marQs

Postby tex » Sat Apr 05, 2014 12:42 pm

Puma0382 wrote:
dr4kan wrote:wasn't the post "THANK YOU STEINBERG!! Cubase 7 and Cubase 7.5 are amazing!!!" enough to express your appreciation for Cubase 7.5? do you plan to raise the bar by creating a dedicated post for each new feature?

Leave the frikkin' guy alone, will you..? For chrissakes... he's happy..!! He's making music, he likes his cubase, he's thanked SB, he's a bit excited and he's happy..! That's it. Deal with it... jeez..

You can just walk past if you do see another great FreddieH post, can't you..?

If only some more had done so, in his other thread too, instead of continually weighing in and just trampling all over it, with the result of it being locked.

Go Freddie..!! (oh, and go for those emoticons, like you used to - it doesn't harm anyone, and you are the ONLY person who does it here; we should know the drill by now; its just a FreddieH thing - its what makes FreddieH, FreddieH..!)

(Sorry - back to topic now...)

Puma0382
bang on!!!!!!!!!!!
i7 12GB, Acer desktop. Mark of The Unicorn-mk3 Ultra, cubase 7.5, Wave lab elements
tons of plugs and a few outboard, bag of vinyl. Mackie monitors and analogue desk
tex

Postby beerbong » Sun Apr 06, 2014 4:39 pm

Really good, one of the best around.
BB
beerbong

Postby Limit54 » Sun Apr 06, 2014 5:19 pm

I used magneto all the time in SX but then they got rid of it so I never used it anymore. It was amazing back in the day. Now she takes up to much processing for nothing. Sausage fattener is way better and much easier on the cpu. Magneto is great but I think it's the same as before.
AMD Quad Core 4.2 4gigs of ram Windows 7 32bit
Cubase 7.5-----Adam A7x & Alesis M1 active mk2's
To much crap to mention but still not turning out great music
Limit54

Postby mpayne0 » Mon Apr 07, 2014 2:27 pm

It is a little hard to use on the strip so far, because it's pretty subtle, and I'm not actually getting 'tape' cues to help determine it's 'language', well lets say this would be a DREAM tape machine with the very best fidelity!

Thing is, I guess my tendency is to dial things in until I hear something substantial, tweak, and then dial it back down till I barely hear it. But with this I dial it, but getting most of the sound from the EQ contribution (reminds me a TON of Virsyn Tape actually in that aspect, where you need to hit the tape against the inbuilt EQ for the sound).

I fear overusing it on the channel levels, I may try too hard. But on single sources, it's a great option, I like it as an option to Kramer and Satin, and I have no problem layering tapes :lol:

I'm going to go ahead and try to get it across a mix while building and hopefully use it as a subtle colored gain stage, and I'll probably 'get it' then.
mpayne0

Previous

Return to General