Lost USB licenser

Post general topics related to Cubase 7 and Cubase Artist 7 here.

Re: Lost USB licenser

Postby jpgtr » Sat Dec 28, 2013 2:23 pm

Love the "jokesters" here making fun of someone's unfortunate circumstance (which could of course had been avoided if Steinberg had a modern, internet-based registration system in place). :roll:

MaxNRG, you should attempt to get ahold of Steinberg support directly.

Anyone have an alternate email address for MaxNRG to try?

Good luck!
2012 Mac Pro 10.8.4, 24 GB RAM, Cubase 7.0.6 (and 6.0.7), UAD-2 Duo
jpgtr

Postby MaxNRG » Sat Dec 28, 2013 2:30 pm

unfortunately there's no direct support in Ukraine.
MaxNRG

Postby jamusic » Sat Dec 28, 2013 7:13 pm

G-string wrote:
jamusic wrote:
G-string wrote:...Steinberg have already said that they have no plans on changing the licencing procedure so I would get used to it if I was you or ..................there are plenty more fish in the sea if your not happy

Actually, I think I read somewhere that they are planning to change it.

Yes you must of seen the comment on GS about it but there is also a thread on here stating after that comment was made there is no plans to change the eliencer system in the foreseeable future .

Ahh yes...that all rings a bell here now G.
-C7.5.20 -Win 7-x64 Home -Intel i7-2600k -ASUS P8Z68 V-Pro -Antec High Current 520w -16 Gigs RAM
-Hyper 212+ CPU Cooler -3 SSDs -WD 1TB Black Caviar Hard Drive -2 WD & 1 Touro 1TB External USB 3 Drives
-TC Electronic SK 48 Audio Interface -Presonus StudioLive 16.4.2 Mixer -Roland UM-550 MIDI Interface
-Neumann TLM 103 Mic -DBX 376 Tube Channel Strip Pre Amp/Comp -ART DPS II Tube Pre -Amp
-Yamaha P-200/88 & Nektar Panorama P6/61 Keyboards -V-Drums/Roland TD-6
-4003 Rickenbacker Fireglow Bass -5 Guitars -4 Sound Modules

jamusic

Postby Buchanan » Sat Dec 28, 2013 8:21 pm

I'm not arguing Cubase should eliminate copy-protection, only that this instance highlights how the dongle installation scheme Steinberg employs places an unnecessary burden on their paying customers, and at a time when much more modern and efficient means of copy protection are readily available.

In that case I'll get a software only key for my house and car? Having keys for those is an intolerable burden. :lol: If I don't clap my hands they don't know where they are. :mrgreen:
Everyone wants perfect software. But nobody's perfect.
Buchanan

Postby Scab Pickens » Sat Dec 28, 2013 8:56 pm

jpgtr wrote:Love the "jokesters" here making fun of someone's unfortunate circumstance (which could of course had been avoided if Steinberg had a modern, internet-based registration system in place). :roll:

MaxNRG, you should attempt to get ahold of Steinberg support directly.

Anyone have an alternate email address for MaxNRG to try?

Good luck!

I'm not sure who you are referring to as a "jokester", but if I am in that catagory - my question is still relevant.

Scab Pickens wrote:
MaxNRG wrote:... eLicenser is gone. Completely.

Are you sure?

Okay, where is the last place you saw it ... ?

:|
Main: Win 7 64 | Cubase 7.5.30 64 | WaveLab Elements 8.0.3 64 | i7-950 3.1 12GB | Focusrite PRO 40
Mobile: Win 7 64 | Cubase Elements 7.0.7 64 | Core2Duo 2.4 8GB | Tascam US-144MKII
Scab Pickens

Postby Buchanan » Sat Dec 28, 2013 11:21 pm

MaxNRG wrote:unfortunately there's no direct support in Ukraine.

And the support section referred to on this forum is not on your Ukrainian computer?

This one? http://www.steinberg.net/en/support/sup ... ntact.html
Everyone wants perfect software. But nobody's perfect.
Buchanan

Postby Elektrobolt » Sun Dec 29, 2013 12:05 am

jpgtr wrote:
Fabio Bartolini wrote:more than a second license (quite expensive!), I would recommend to have a spare empty USB-eLicenser.

Recommending customers purchase two dongles to use Cubase in an interesting solution, albeit (IMO) an unrealistic one in that it's something most customers will probably don't think they'll need to do, as highlighted by the OP's situation.

If a situation *depends* on the dongle being present for income, one would think that a user would logically protect such a delicate situation, an extra dongle seems perfectly in line with that sort of thinking. I mean, if it really carries that much weight.

jpgtr wrote:I'm not arguing Cubase should eliminate copy-protection, only that this instance highlights how the dongle installation scheme Steinberg employs places an unnecessary burden on their paying customers, and at a time when much more modern and efficient means of copy protection are readily available.

There is no more "unnecessary burden on their paying customers". It's no different than any other USB device.

What if your Internet provider is having problems? When it comes down to it, there just isn't a *perfect* solution. Sure, there are alternate solutions, but they all have pro's and con's. Steinberg chose the eLicenser route. You know this when purchasing Cubase.

Contrary to your opinion on what is modern and efficient, I would say that the eLicenser is just that, no need to have your computer connected to the Internet should you choose not to, but it works that way too. You can head on out to an Internet café or friend, and activate your license. For people with no Internet access, that point is actually beats the "more modern and efficient means".
With Note Expression (VST3.5), individual notes contain their own set of controller data when played polyphonically.
VST Expression, Steinberg VST
Cakewalk Sonar X3 now supports VST3!
Elektrobolt

Location: A wet blue oblate spheroid spinning around a fiery bright yellow dwarf at 107,000 km/h.

Postby jaslan » Sun Dec 29, 2013 12:53 am

Elektrobolt wrote:...your opinion on what is modern and efficient...

Well said.
Neither modern nor efficient are always necessarily better.
Core-i7 2820QM, 16GB RAM. Cubase 6.5.5 x64 on Windows 7. Scarlett 2i2. M-Audio Axiom Pro 61. Komplete 8. HALion 5. Jamstix 3.5. HSO VST Sound Set. Absolute VST+. 418 Carrier Landings.
SoundCloud
jaslan

Postby MaxNRG » Sun Dec 29, 2013 6:20 am

Buchanan wrote:
MaxNRG wrote:unfortunately there's no direct support in Ukraine.

And the support section referred to on this forum is not on your Ukrainian computer?

This one? http://www.steinberg.net/en/support/sup ... ntact.html

it is, but it seems very helpful

MaxNRG

Postby chimpspanner » Mon Dec 30, 2013 12:43 pm

I'm a fan of internet authorization as an alternative to a dongle. If you think about it, a dongle loss is most likely away from home/the studio, and that's only really a problem with laptops. So if you lose your dongle *and* your internet goes down (unlikely and unlucky!), you just take the laptop to any location with internet access (friend/family/hotspot) and you can at least access work critical stuff until you get a replacement sorted.

I know ultimately the owness is on the user to keep their hardware safe and secure but for people who travel a lot (especially touring bands who rely on Cubase for live stuff) the dongle is a liability.

When I was in the states for a tour, I was able to run Reason 6.5 on 4g from my tethered phone in a van while my hardware dongle sat safely at home. I'd love the same freedom with cubase.

In the meantime I'll just continue to obsessively check for my dongle before I set off anywhere! If I do ever get around to using my laptop as part of my live rig I guess I can use cubase AI. Or Reaper. Maybe that'd work.
www.chimpspanner.com
www.facebook.com/chimpspanner
www.youtube.com/chimpspanner
chimpspanner

Previous

Return to General